• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi new here need some advice about a White Front Amazon

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Again, thank you for the advice. She does love English Walnuts, I never was crazy about giving her peanuts. I thought about the cuttlebone, she just freaks over anything new. I had Love Birds that loved monkey biscuits soaked in water, I will try red peppers. I too thought maybe a calcium deficiency, the pet stores are terrible here for avian supplements. Is anyone able to recommend a trusty web site? I will pay for expedited shipping if needed. She is not sitting with legs splayed, every thing else seems normal, except she is not flying to her 6ft tree, sitting on top of the door and being quite, not fluffed up. I check on her periodically and she looks at me like I have lost my mind. I will call a vet in the morning about 1.5 hours from me. Thank God it's warm out and will not expose her to cold.
I have a web store and I carry some of the last of the Avitech liquid and powder supplements. Avitech was one of the leaders in Avian health. The Co was privately owned. The Owner passed away, and the business operation was closed. This was just recent last year in the fall. The current supplements I still have are good through 1/2020. I am using these products with my own birds. I still have the arthritis supplement in stock. I've been around this website since 2009. And have had my store a year this January. I'm in NC you would most likely see your delivery before Friday in the same zone. **disclaimer for the record** The products I use Echinachea Purpurea for immune & respiratory health (dogs and dander in the home) and milk thistle dandelion for liver health.

I also carry the Senior Nutriberries as well. I am going out of town tomorrow, and processing orders in today and shipping today. Let me know if you would like anything today, my current sale just started today as well.

Since she likes crackers, bird bread is another way to hide good things in there. You can powder cuttlebone by scraping it into a fine powder and add over foods, or even birdie bread. You can add organic powdered ginger, turmeric as well as other things.

I hope this helps!

Here are the listed ingredients from the Avitech Arthritis formula.

Contains: Alfalfa leaf, Stinging Nettles leaf, Cornsilk, Devil's Claw root, Shavegreass stem (horsetail), Fenugreek seed, Yucca root and Black Walnut hulls in a kosher certified vegetable glycerine/purified water base. Can be used long term.

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I bought mine in the baking aisle. Secret is currently on a low fat diet because of health issues so I have to limit what kind of nuts she is fed.

Do you hand feed her items?

Have you tried making a chop?

You can also feed her while you are eating. Sometimes that makes them eat new stuff easier.

Never give up. Keep offering ..... Sometimes it just takes seeing the same thing a few times for the bird to start eating them. Like us, if I had an oreo cookie I loved to eat, I wouldn't eat vegetables. But if the vegetables kept showing up, I'd give up and eat them.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Almonds are the nut that has the highest calcium content and the lowest fat content. Walnuts are good for heart healthy fats, but I recommend RPO (Red Palm Oil) for heart support and very high Vitamin A content. Many of us use this brand (it is not damaging to the environment for the Orangutans) Amazon.com : Nutiva USDA Certified Organic, non-GMO, Cold-Filtered, Unrefined, Fair Trade Ecuadorian Red Palm Oil, 15-ounce (Pack of 2) : Grocery & Gourmet Food In order to assimilate calcium a bird must have Vitamin D3, which is most easily obtained by exposing them to unfiltered sun for at least 15 min two or three days a week. D3 supplements (must be given with care). Be careful giving vitamin supplements, some can accumulate in the body and cause problems. It's best to give vitamins only under the care of a vet.

Peanuts, like others said, are not good for birds because of the risk of Aspergillosis, Aflatoxins and the fats (very high in peanuts) are the bad fats. Parrots are susceptible to heart disease and atherosclerosis caused by excess fats. Exercise should be an important part of their life.

We would really love to see a picture of Bugsy.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yes and yay for almonds! As above, they are great if you have a beak buster bird like my Cockatoo, there is NO almond she cannot get out of a shell LOL :coffeescreen:

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Yes I offer her food that I eat. I'm just torn between giving her more natural options or risking her dying in the vets hand from stress. I really don't know what to do.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes I offer her food that I eat. I'm just torn between giving her more natural options or risking her dying in the vets hand from stress. I really don't know what to do.
First thing, take a breath. They feed off OUR emotions.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Sounds like bad nutrition, IMO. Amazons are prone to fatty liver and kidney issues when on a nut and seed diet. At 25+ years old, her body is probably beginning to succumb to the lack of proper food.

Have you tried to get her onto pellets? Monkey biscuits is a big NONO for most species of parrots. Maybe crows and other corvids could eat them just fine, but there is a lot of iron in those things that birds shouldn't be getting. They're meant for monkeys, not parrots. Theyre actually not even great for monkeys. basically flour and corn byproducts with a huge list of human vitamins added to it (because they are primates).

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I don't know how to attach a photo here.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't know how to attach a photo here.
Under the box where you type it says "upload a file" . If you a have a pic saved in your gallery, on your computer, etc you can upload from there. I think it's the easiest way to do it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Also, I know prices vary by area, but $900 seems like an awful lot to run some tests. It may be worth traveling a bit if you can find another vet.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I'm at your website but I can't find the Avitech liquid. Can you PM on here? Message to Love my Zons.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That's a very pretty lady. Hi Bugsy.

If you want to send a notice for someone to come look at a post do this; (@Love My Zons) without the parenthesis.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Bugsy is beautiful!

Also about the cost of a vet visit, you should ask for a breakdown of costs.

I was initially told a HUGE amount by a vet. I discovered they quoted cost for EVERY test they might run. I declined some tests for various reasons, one just because it often runs false/positive. I didn't feel it would be helpful to scare myself and they wouldn't alter care for parrot on basis of it.

@Hankmacaw or @Macawnutz can tell you what tests are vital.

Because of Secret's high ratings in her blood tests (2 different times), she had to get an xray. I had my hubby go in with her because I was an emotional wreck (remember, they feed off our emotions). Secret was calm because hubby was there. Secret may not like him, but she felt safe with him.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
That's a very pretty lady. Hi Bugsy.

If you want to send a notice for someone to come look at a post do this; (@Love My Zons) without the parenthesis.
We are corresponding now, thank you ML! ;)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Here she is on top of her tree. Meet Bugsy! View attachment 295888
Pretty! I love those pretty All American colors. As for feather, they look great. Does not appear over weight at all.

I think a travel cage (secure) and some newer foods and some real sunlight will do Bugsy well. We are going to try some pellet samples with her to see if she may change her ways. ;)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
To establish a basis on a bird you need to get a; CBC, Chem Panel, Swab and gram stain of both throat and anus. These tests should cost around $300 and give your vet any hints they may need for additional testing. The full physical exam is also very important and is included in the standard exam usually at a charge of $40 - $80 dollars.

If you talk to your vet before you go in you can discuss how you are concerned about her stress level and that she may need to be tranquilized because of her not being gentle. my birds were both very nice for a day or two after a vet visit -LOL. The male just couldn't believe that anyone could wool him around like that. I've been with my vet for 20 years now and am completely happy with him - he's saved my poor sickly birds' lives more than once.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret ran up the arm of the first vet and bit him in the back of the neck (so thankful he had a pony tail).

He just calmly leaned over and shook her off on the exam table.

We were horrified.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Shout out to everyone here! Your support has helped me more than you will ever know. Kazoo helped me via FB chat to get the right nutri berries and she gobbled them up! Bugs squawked three times today, such sweet music to my ears. I got her some avi cakes, sweet potato, almonds, almond butter and whole wheat toast. My heart is bursting with happiness. I will keep you posted.