• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi new here need some advice about a White Front Amazon

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
No Sunday vet. I was afraid to put anything on the bottom of the cage accept newspaper. She is not hand tame. No vet until Monday. She finally stopped climbing and falling and is now roosting on her top perch. She did eat and drink. All I can do now is wait til the morning.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Prayers up.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thank you so much Clueless.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
So sorry Bugsy has taken a step backwards. Like Clueless, I would also pad out the bottom of her cage (under the newspaper) to soften any falls. I would be inclined to have her tested for ABV or even PDD. At least she is eating and drinking. Hang in there Snowghost. :sadhug2:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
How are you and Bugsy today?
Definitely keep her warm and hydrated, and give anything at all she will eat. If she can't eat try giving some children's pedialyte to keep electrolytes balanced.
On Monday, don't take No for an answer. Sometimes if you call the phone when they aren't in, the voice message will give you options where to take birds in an emergency. I'd give that a try to see if anything available today.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
It was a sleepless night, she slept, only fell 3 times and kept getting back up. At 5 am she was fell and I put her bowels on the floor of her cage. I dipped my fingers in the water and she got the idea and drank water and ate. This morning she was sitting on seed cup and ate. One more night and it's off to the vet. What is ABV and PDD?

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Fingers crossed.
I would not worry about ABV and PDD being the diagnosis. It is Avian BornaVirus which can sometimes cause Proventricular Dilitation Disease (used to be called Macaw wasting syndrome, and now they just came up with another name for it I can't remember). Doesn't quite sound like she could have been exposed or the right symptoms, although it affects all birds differently. It is an autoimmune disease that attacks the nerves and which nerves it attacks causes different symptoms. The virus can hang around awhile before or if it decides to cause symptoms, kinda like shingles.
What do her poops look/smell like?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry to hear that Bugsy has had a setback. I would pad the bottom of her cage - can you put a folded blanket, some towels or a cushion under the newspaper? Keep her warm and hydrated, and try to keep her eating.

My avian vet gives Leia a whiff of anaesthesia before blood tests - it's much less stressful for everyone involved and means that it's over and done with in moments.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Fingers crossed.
I would not worry about ABV and PDD being the diagnosis. It is Avian BornaVirus which can sometimes cause Proventricular Dilitation Disease (used to be called Macaw wasting syndrome, and now they just came up with another name for it I can't remember). Doesn't quite sound like she could have been exposed or the right symptoms, although it affects all birds differently. It is an autoimmune disease that attacks the nerves and which nerves it attacks causes different symptoms. The virus can hang around awhile before or if it decides to cause symptoms, kinda like shingles.
What do her poops look/smell like?

Thank you for the information on the ABV and PDD diagnosis. She did not have diarrhea until yesterday. I stopped giving her bird seed food mix and peanuts a month ago and switched to Avi Cakes and Nutri Berries. Since she was weak I gave her some seed and sunflower, not a lot, she ate them with little difficulty, did change in diet cause this? This morning they are back to normal white with dark green center. As for smell? I don't know I have a cold. She is up on her perch and has not fallen today.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I'm sorry to hear that Bugsy has had a setback. I would pad the bottom of her cage - can you put a folded blanket, some towels or a cushion under the newspaper? Keep her warm and hydrated, and try to keep her eating.

My avian vet gives Leia a whiff of anaesthesia before blood tests - it's much less stressful for everyone involved and means that it's over and done with in moments.
Yes the vet told me they will give her anesthesia. The bedroom is very warm and I'm afraid a heating pad may be to much I will put a towel under the newspaper. Thank for your advice. I am keeping a close eye on her.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I know any time I changed diet for my dogs I saw runny poo.

No clue on seeds changing poo

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Thank you for the information on the ABV and PDD diagnosis. She did not have diarrhea until yesterday. I stopped giving her bird seed food mix and peanuts a month ago and switched to Avi Cakes and Nutri Berries. Since she was weak I gave her some seed and sunflower, not a lot, she ate them with little difficulty, did change in diet cause this? This morning they are back to normal white with dark green center. As for smell? I don't know I have a cold. She is up on her perch and has not fallen today.
sounds like she was on one seed product and changed to another seed product. Possible it could ccause a change in poops, but I don't think it's likely. It would be more expected if she started to eat veges and fruits.
read this info: your vet will ask if she has diarrhea (fecal portion unformed) or just polyurea (more urine but fecal portion still tubelike shape)
you should figure that out now. Which is it?
http://www.mickaboo.org/sites/default/files/files/4q2010_newsletter_Poopology.pdf

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I know any time I changed diet for my dogs I saw runny poo.

No clue on seeds changing poo
Oh I agree, I figured with the stress of illness and falling not sure if that might cause change in poo. It's back to normal today.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
@Snowghost
Thinking of you and Bugsy and wondering if you were able to get to the vet today
Oh this group is too much, your thoughts and advice have kept me sane during this ordeal. I didn't get home til midnight last night. I got Bugsy to the vet as soon as I could last night, new job and I worked late. I rushed home and through the door to find her clinging to her cage with her beak. My heart broke.

The doctor was amazing, very calm, the staff came and got her right away. She was placed in a container and given oxygen. Dr Stewart told me she is an amazing bird, she has lived passed her life expectancy at the age of 30 on a diet of seed and little fresh veggies, I tried my best but she would not have any of it. She has gout in her feet, possible kidney disease. He told me they would put her in a humidified incubator with temperature at 80 degrees with the addition of oxygen. Side note here; I noticed the vet limped as he walked taking care of other animals, (hamster, a ferret and a Quaker parakeet) it was 7:45pm when he saw us When he faced me to speak I noted a bandage on his hand and arm. He had previously been in a car accident. He told me that the gout could possibly have gone to other organs and possible kidney failure. At this time she is stressed and wanted her calm. She was critical at this point. He wanted to keep her overnight and if do blood work, if she is ok they may do x-ray. We discussed the possibility of euthanasia, I told him I was prepared (as much as I can be) that I did not want her to suffer. I had her for 25 wonderful years.

I left in tears and they let me see her, so pitiful in a clear container, bright lights but she was sitting up and breathing. 1/2 way home I got a call and I didn't recognize the number. Darn it, it was the vet. This sweet caring man called me at 10:00pm, they did get blood work done, kidneys are not critical, no high protein. Call him in the morning. At 8:30 am called left me on hold but he apologized, he just got in from doing a home visit to stabilize another bird. Bugsy does have kidney disease, does not recommend taking her home will keep her a couple days. Meds, hydration, protein/food tube fed given to her. They were closed today, taking care of emergency pets. Hoping tomorrow we have more good news.

It was so kind of you mommy bird to check on us, I felt so alone when I came home today. Seeing your message really helped me a lot!

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I'm glad to hear from you. I was worried and I know I wasn't the only one. That is how we are here...all the time with our AA family.
I'm so very glad you got a great vet, really worth his weight in gold. I'm sure you and he can work together to help Bugsy.
We are here for you to vent or ask questions if you need to. :sadhug2:hugs to you!
@Clueless

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh gosh you guys are going to make me cry all over again. Just looking at Bugs's photo to the left, sitting up in her tree.... I was a little disappointed when I called at 10 minutes to 5 but they are closed today. They must be tired and you know the old saying, no news is good news and she is in the hands of medical care. I knew that bird was my world, but never knew that she meant this much to me. I miss her, just to hear her scream one more time would help. I do hope she makes it. I am trying to brace myself if she doesn't. She sure is one fighter which makes me love her even more.

Hugs to all, I don't know what I would have done without this group. I believe everyone's suggestions with the vitamins, the change in diet really helped her through this.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
My heart goes out to you and your dear baby. I do not believe she has outlived her lifespan just yet! I am sure there is more life to go many years. You have some answers thus far, now the healing and managed care to begin with home care when she's back with you. ;)

Here is some insight on this the renal disease. Very common in older animals, dogs, cats etc.

Nutritional Management of Renal Disease in Birds | LafeberVet

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Hang in there!!!

Secret is at least 40. Medication, good diet and love can work wonders.