• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi new here need some advice about a White Front Amazon

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I'm not seeking medical advice. Just want to put this out here and see if anyone has had this problem. I have had Bugsy a White Front Amazon for 25 years. She is wild caught not hand tamed. Always healthy. Last few weeks I've noticed she is moving slower to get into her cage, is not sitting on top of her door or sitting on her tree, it's about 6ft tall. No signs of ill health, eyes, ears, nares vent are clean and dry. Not sitting at the bottom of her cage. Doesn't scream and squawking as usual. Seems to lose her coordination, but flies to T stand. Since she is wild caught I'm afraid the stress from a vet visit will kill her. I googled her symptoms, I know I shouldn't only thing I could find was Ataxia and they recommend blood work, IV antibiotics. I can't see that happening, getting her nails trim is traumatic enough. She is eating fine, stools normal other then her being wobbly. I did start giving her vitamins in her water, she is not a fan of fresh fruit or greens. Seems to be a little better at squawking. I'm wondering if its old age or has anyone else has experienced this kind of behavior?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It could be old age. Do you know how old she was when you got her?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
A friend from work gave her to me 25 years ago. The pet store said she was 5. Not sure how accurate that is since he also said she was a male. After researching I found out she is a female. She shows no sign of sickness what so ever except the balance issue. I gave her a peanut yesterday and she stood on one foot to eat it with no balance issues. Thank you for your response, I have joined forums before and didn't to hear from anyone. I've had been a bird keeper for over 30 years, and I have never had one this old so I have no experience. Again, thank you for your response.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A friend from work gave her to me 25 years ago. The pet store said she was 5. Not sure how accurate that is since he also said she was a male. After researching I found out she is a female. She shows no sign of sickness what so ever except the balance issue. I gave her a peanut yesterday and she stood on one foot to eat it with no balance issues. Thank you for your response, I have joined forums before and didn't to hear from anyone. I've had been a bird keeper for over 30 years, and I have never had one this old so I have no experience. Again, thank you for your response.
Hopefully another member will come along with more advice. Is there anyway you could have a vet come to your home to examine your bird?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
At her age she could very well have arthritis in her legs or feet. The pain from arthritis could cause her to be unsteady. She may have a heart condition or atherosclerosis or a neural condition. There are many conditions that could be causing her symptoms. What is her diet like?

She needs to go to a vet to be diagnosed and medication possibly being prescribed. The vet can give her a light anesthesia/tranquilizer which will eliminate her anxiety and won't harm her at all. My birds have had tranquilizers and anesthesia dozens of time and have never had a bad reaction.

I really hope you see your way to take her to the veterinarian.

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
My dad has a white front amazon named Petey. He will be 18 in June. The last year or so when my dad has taken him in for beak and nail trims, he has been having seizures due to the stress. The vet will not do anything to him now until he administers this medicine in his nares. It's just a couple of drops and doesn't last long, but it works long enough that they can get their work done without him having a seizure. I'm not sure what it's called, but it's worked wonders. It may be worth inquiring about with your vet. Good luck!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. As hankmacaw said, it could be a number of things. My initial thought was also arthritis but you can't really know without a vet visit. I understand you being nervous about taking her to a vet. However, it's probably the best thing to do. 30ish is not that old for an Amazon really- they can live to around 50. A good vet should be able handle her okay.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome! My zons are both wild caught too. Secret (avatar) should be at least in her 40's now since I found a picture from 1978.

Secret has fallen before too. Currently Secret is on medications.

Both of mine had not been to a vet when I got them. Secret was more anxious than MC for the first visit but I went to an certified avian vet that was experienced with birds. They know what to do.

Just call first, make sure the vet is experienced.

I know having MC there with Secret might have helped too.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I had both of mine DNA tested (they're male). They could do it with the same blood draw they did everything else with. Vet said it takes a while for test results to come back and we would know not an egg issue in the future if a medical emergency would happen.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hi and welcome. You have gotten some really good advice up above. I can't really add any information that will differ from what hasn't already been said regarding a wellness check from an Avian Vet. The sounds of it can be arthritis as mentioned, or something neurological. It sounds as if your White Front has a great life with you all those years so kudos for being a great parront!

An Amazon is an amazing species and I love my boys dearly. I hope you can find an answer and help your little one.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I am truly touched by everyone's response. She is doing better, flying to her T stand, standing on one foot to eat a peanut. Feisty enough to try and bite me if I get to close. She seems to be responding to the vitamin mixture I have added to her water and I have been giving her oats and groats and she likes them. I have tried a local vet and he charges $900.00 just to do blood work if I even want her nails trimmed. I just don't have that kind of money in my budget and it breaks my heart. Her diet is a dried fruit mixture, she is afraid of fresh veggies and fruit. She gets 2 peanuts a day, fresh water and a parrot mixture of seed. I tried pellets but she wouldn't go near them. I have managed to get her to eat grapes and grilled corn on the cob, scrambled eggs, loves crackers and chips but I don't give her many due to the salt. I never knew that a vet could give her a light anesthesia to calm her down. I live in a rural area in the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, and avian vets are scarce. I know I had my misgivings when I moved here. She is has pin feathers coming in and did the mating stance with me tonight, (she thinks I'm her mate) She did squawk this morning. I really am a lost what to do.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am truly touched by everyone's response. She is doing better, flying to her T stand, standing on one foot to eat a peanut. Feisty enough to try and bite me if I get to close. She seems to be responding to the vitamin mixture I have added to her water and I have been giving her oats and groats and she likes them. I have tried a local vet and he charges $900.00 just to do blood work if I even want her nails trimmed. I just don't have that kind of money in my budget and it breaks my heart. Her diet is a dried fruit mixture, she is afraid of fresh veggies and fruit. She gets 2 peanuts a day, fresh water and a parrot mixture of seed. I tried pellets but she wouldn't go near them. I have managed to get her to eat grapes and grilled corn on the cob, scrambled eggs, loves crackers and chips but I don't give her many due to the salt. I never knew that a vet could give her a light anesthesia to calm her down. I live in a rural area in the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, and avian vets are scarce. I know I had my misgivings when I moved here. She is has pin feathers coming in and did the mating stance with me tonight, (she thinks I'm her mate) She did squawk this morning. I really am a lost what to do.
There are two Avian Vets here in the Raleigh area. Dr. Burkett is in Durham and there is Avian and Exotic in Raleigh with Dr. Dan and Dr. Eckerman Ross. I have used both- but like the gentle Dr. Eckerman she's a tiny petite Lady and my birds seem to like Women over Men. If you can call around, I know the trip from VA might be 3 or 4 hours if you are closer to the NC State line?

You can try to offer foods rich in natural anti inflammatory properties to see if that can help with any arthritis pain. Dr. Harrison ( The Harrison Bird Foods) Vet I was lucky to meet and be able to go to him when he was practicing in South FL. I had brought a budgie in that eventually had to be put to sleep but when he had mentioned a possible neurological issue he talked about Co-enzyme 10 or CoQ10 as being something that can help with neurological issues.

Do your research and you may find that healing and supplements that are naturally occurring such as Vit C as an anti-inflammtory to spirulina algae for tumor reduction.............the foods we have and herbs can also do alot to help our animals more than we think they can.

I can suggest if you can moisten pellets or make a mash. We lose calcium if we cannot process and absorb it. Sunlight naturally helps the body naturally. You would eventually want to do blood work someday with a Sr. Bird, vitamin and or calcium deficiency are two things that any indoor pet bird can truly suffer from.

Best Wishes to you. If you want, look up these two NC Vets and you can call for pricing. My first choice is the Avian and Exotic in Raleigh. ;)

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I was thinking arthritis too. I have a 53 year old Amazon with arthritis. I would make sure she is eating plenty of foods rich in beta carotene (precursor to Vit A) - brightly coloured fruit and veggies like carrot, squash, broccoli, kale, peppers, chillies, papaya, mango, orange melon etc. My vet once told me that almost all captive birds he sees are Vit A deficient. Fresh fruit and veggies are high in antioxidants which are anti-inflammatory. Also make sure she is having calcium rich foods. Low calcium can result in seizures - more obvious in African Greys. Oranges and almonds contain calcium as well as yogurt and cottage cheese. Parrots are lactase intollerant, but yogurt and cottage cheese in small quantities contains little. If you can swap the peanuts for tree nuts eg walnuts or almonds or cashews, they would be healthier. Peanuts because they grow under ground can contain afflatoxins which can harm the liver, not to mention can contain aspergillus spores which can lead to Aspergillosis. Walnuts in particular contain good omega oils. Glad she is doing better. :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Shes a senior, may have arthritis, I have an old dove with it, when it's cold, rainy, winter,,,she shows signs of it more than the warmer times, I keep metacam on hand, she let's me know when she needs it. ..if that makes sense. But, only you know her, she may need a wellness check, if shes so frightened outside the home, maybe you can get your vet to come to you. Lots of fresh food is great, but please try to avoid peanuts, due to mold issues, Pistachios are a better option, or maybe shelled almonds . Hope shes ok. Just editing here, sometimes a Calcium deficiency can cause wobbly behavior, a cuttlebone or a liquid calcium supplement orally or in the water can help.

Last edited:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I give my guys senior nutriberries. If you call the company, you can ask for a sample. There's some good vitamins for seniors in those.

Monkey biscuits from zupreem can be moistened. My amazons loved those. I still keep a bag to give one from time to time in addition to their pellets.

I also give organic red bell peppers regularly. Vary the way you serve them. Long thin strip, small tiny pieces, larger pieces or even a piece on a skewer in the cage. You'll find one that works.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Again, thank you for the advice. She does love English Walnuts, I never was crazy about giving her peanuts. I thought about the cuttlebone, she just freaks over anything new. I had Love Birds that loved monkey biscuits soaked in water, I will try red peppers. I too thought maybe a calcium deficiency, the pet stores are terrible here for avian supplements. Is anyone able to recommend a trusty web site? I will pay for expedited shipping if needed. She is not sitting with legs splayed, every thing else seems normal, except she is not flying to her 6ft tree, sitting on top of the door and being quite, not fluffed up. I check on her periodically and she looks at me like I have lost my mind. I will call a vet in the morning about 1.5 hours from me. Thank God it's warm out and will not expose her to cold.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I give my guys almond slivers. People grade (cooking), no salt on them. They love them.

Have you tried the senior nutriberries? This is from their website:

Senior Bird Nutri-Berries were scientifically designed by leading avian veterinarians and nutritionists to create the best combination of herbs, supplements, and nutrients that could be fed daily as a complete diet for many years. They are packed with age-combative herbs like milk thistle, dandelion, and ginger, and age-defying fruits like plums, cranberries, and dates. Better yet, Senior Bird Nutri-Berries have no artificial flavors or colors. What you see is what you get. When you see a red bit of fruit, it is real cranberry — not something artificially flavored or colored to look like fruit. The same for the herbs – those little flakes are real milk thistle, ginger, and dandelion to give your older bird an added health boost. We added milk thistle for its anti-inflammatory and anti-arthritic effect, as well as dandelion to support bone health and improve liver function. We included ginger — a powerful anti- inflammatory herb — to help ease tendonitis, lower cholesterol and blood pressure, and to help prevent blood clots. We also combined the joint-health supplements glucosamine to combat osteoarthritis and chondroitin to ease joint pain and swelling. Senior Bird Nutri-Berries have real pieces of age-defying fruits. Plums provide dietary fiber and are high in Vitamins A, C, K, potassium, fluoride, and beta-carotene. Cranberries are full of antioxidants that strengthen the immune system by flushing out harmful toxins. Dates are iron-rich fruits that contain flavonoid polyphenolic antioxidants known as tannins, which possess anti-infective, anti-inflammatory, and anti-hemorrhagic properties. Senior Bird Nutri-Berries have the optimal balance of age-defying, non-GMO ingredients to help give your bird the recipe for a longer, healthier life. Senior Bird Nutri-Berries are made with 61% pellets, 26% wholesome grains, and 13% fruits and herbs. They also contain the necessary amino acids, vitamins, minerals, and balanced Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids critical to maintaining a healthy immune system, strong beak and bones, and gorgeous feathers — all in a berry shape that encourages beak and tongue exercise.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I never really thought of her as being a "senior". I will see if I can get the Nutri-Berries tomorrow. I wish she just wasn't a finicky bird. I have worked with her for years to keep her on a healthy diet. I know before I got her she was terrified of coming out of her cage and it took me a long time to get her to trust me. Why she is afraid of fresh veggies and fruit is beyond me. Anything green and leafy she looks at me like I've lost my mind. I can get her to eat corn on the cob, red grapes, sometimes, and scrambled eggs. Not much else. People grade almond slivers? Do I get the in the baking section at the grocery store? I had Cockatiels that loved peas, kale anything I gave them. I guess when she was young she was never introduced to fresh food. She hates men, very protective of me. She is wild caught. I have worked with her for years to trust me and she deserves a long healthy life. Thank you for your advice.