• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi new here need some advice about a White Front Amazon

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry to read that Bugsy has had a setback. I hope that things will turn around and she will improve. Sending many positive thoughts for Bugsy. Try to think positive and send your own positive thoughts to Bugsy.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
It is with a heavy heart I must post this. Dr. Stewart called last night. Bugsy has crystals on her kidney's and the gout is severe. I can keep her with me and she will not be able to perch or fly. I can keep her in a padded cage and she will live a few more months. That is not the kind of life a free flighted bird will want to live. I refuse to prolong her life to make me happy.

I have decided to put her down today.

I will miss her terribly. We had 25 years together.

Fly high Bugsy, you will always have a special place in my heart.

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It is with a heavy heart I must post this. Dr. Stewart called last night. Bugsy has crystals on her kidney's and the gout is severe. I can keep her with me and she will not be able to perch or fly. I can keep her in a padded cage and she will live a few more months. That is not the kind of life a free flighted bird will want to live. I refuse to prolong her life to make me happy.

I have decided to put her down today.

I will miss her terribly. We had 25 years together.

Fly high Bugsy, you will always have a special place in my heart.

So sorry to read this. You did your best and she will always be with you :sadhug2:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Ohhhhh @Snowghost - Terri, I just came upon this thread today and read all the way through it the last few minutes.
I am so sorry you are losing Bugsy, but know that she had a great life with you, and I know that no pet wants to be in pain,
so you are doing the right thing by her, and no one can ask for better than that. It is such a difficult thing to do, and I've
done it many times with my beloved dogs. If only there was another way, but we know there is not. Many hugs and prayers
for you today! Are you going to bury her somewhere, or what? :sorrow:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so so sorry

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so so sorry. Bugsy was such a fighter and you did everything you could for her. I would have done the same in your situation - grounded and unable to perch is no way for a bird used to free flight to live.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I'm so sorry Terri. It's a hard decision to make.
Parrots live such long lives with us that losing them after loving them so long feels devastating.
Fly high Bugsy!
:sadhug2:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am so sorry.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So very sorry! :sadhug2:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Oh my! I am so very sorry to read this. I send you my most heartfelt condolences and she's now pain free and free flying! 25 years is an amazing time to have been blessed by an Amazon.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Oh thank you all soo much. My heart is breaking. I know I did the right thing. It just happened so fast she got worse Saturday night and rushed to vet on Monday. I did visit her Wednesday. She was comfortable in the incubator that was heated and had oxygen. I just didn't expect to take it this hard. I am so very touched by everyone's post here.

Of course the beak freak that I am I want to get another bird. Not sure what kind. I may wait a while til this fall when I have my own place. That was my goal for Bugsy and I to move to a new house. She didn't make it. I had her cremated and will keep her ashes with me. I had a disc made and they will put her feet imprints in it. the disc is cream colored with a white ribbon and a green heart. I never realized for 25 years of my life every morning I spoke to her and let her out to fly and feed her and give her her goodies. In the evening I would call her as soon as I walked in the door, she would scream her way of saying hello. I talked to her as my best friend.

Right now I can't stop the tears from flowing. How could such a tiny little heart give me so much love and companionship?

Thank you all again.

Terri

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
They are family, or even more than family. You just grieve as you must.
I'm glad you will honor Bugsy by adopting another friend. There are so many that need a loving home.
Please let us know what happens down the road!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I intend to stay in touch. I have met so many wonderful people here. I will be looking for another feathered friend. The vet told me that there are many birds that are homeless ie, owner passed or owner is allergic to bird dander. I'm not sure how I would look for another parrot. I don't want to go through the local pet store. They sell puppy mill puppies and I don't trust them.

I reside in the Virginia area and need advice on how to find a healthy bird.

Reactions: tka

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Stay in touch with the vet would be my thought. The vet will know their medical history for the rehomes that come through their office.

You will know when it is time. Take the time you need to grieve the loss of your friend.

Again, I'm so sorry.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
The vet is almost 2 hours from me. I did look at a rescue in Virginia. I'm not ready to make that move yet. Just looking. I've had a bird for so long I just can't imagine my life without one. Thank you for your support. I really miss Bugsy.....

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I intend to stay in touch. I have met so many wonderful people here. I will be looking for another feathered friend. The vet told me that there are many birds that are homeless ie, owner passed or owner is allergic to bird dander. I'm not sure how I would look for another parrot. I don't want to go through the local pet store. They sell puppy mill puppies and I don't trust them.

I reside in the Virginia area and need advice on how to find a healthy bird.
yeah, going thru a pet store is not the best idea.
Your vet would be a good source who would be honest about the bird's behavior and health. You know now that you should have a good vet and he sounds like a keeper to me, even at that distance.
I just googled "parrot rescue in virginia" There's a good handful of them, I don't know what location is closest to you and the only one of those rescues I know myself is Phoenix Landing. They believe in education and are a good group. (they always need foster homes if you'd be interested in that) If you are interested in another rescue post them here and see if somebody here on AA has experience with them.
I know the empty cage is pretty distressing. But let yourself get done grieving and don't jump into any decisions for a bit. You and the right one will find each other.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Ohhhhhhh I am so sorry to read this. You did the right thing. Sounds like she had visceral gout (in the organs) as well as articular gout (in the joints). My budgie had articular gout towards the end of his life. Just so sorry, Terri.
:sadhug2:

Last edited:

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
The dr didn't say what kind of gout, she had crystals on her kidneys too. It's all just heartbreaking. I brought her home today and had her feet imprinted in ceramic. I never prepared myself for this as I thought she would out live me.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'm sorry for your loss Terri. They become such a part of our daily lives. Be glad she no longer suffers any pain and treasure all the good memories you've had for the past 25 years. She was lucky to have you!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thank you Andrea. I feel somewhat better right now. I will forever miss her. It's done, she is pain free now. I just still tear up every time I think of her. It's so quiet in the house.