• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi All ! Wanting My Dream Bird, Umbrella Cockatoo. Is It Time For Me Yet ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
We do not delete threads here. It is not fair to those that donate their time and energy to replying. You are free to start a new thread though if you wish :)

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I said I’m sound proofing the room that she will be in, not her cage.
However, I decided that i will just sound proof her cage.
Of more importance...
Her(e) she is playing with a dog, you know the same kinda dog everyone on here said she should never ever be around
It's a red flag that your breeder is allowing dogs direct access to their birds.

It's also such a pervasive problem that there's a forum rule against enabling those actions...

Please do not post photos of birds in dangerous situations. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions on bird care. We are here to educate and help each other do the best we can do for the birds' best interest. This may bring up discussions on topics such as birds & other pets. Over the years we have seen many of these situations become losses. As Avian Avenue is a close community of people, we take those losses as our own. To educate and bring awareness of these potentially deadly opportunities we ask that you do not post photos of any birds in dangerous situations. This may include:

Photos with predatory animals such as dogs, cats, ferrets, etc. It just takes a split second for an accident to happen even with very well behaved cats and dogs who are taken by surprise. Cat saliva can be deadly to birds. Saliva toxins can kill within a matter of minutes or a few days. Scratches and bites from both cats and dogs and other animals can cause severe injury and/or death.
Be aware that dogs and cats who have been fine for years showing no interest in your birds can change as they get older. Please do not become lulled into a false sense of security. Cats and dogs can react unexpectedly for many reasons when least expected. It is your responsibility to protect your flock.
Also be aware of the potential danger to the other animals in your household. A bird's bite can inflict serious damage to another animal and in the worse case scenario can result in death. Please be careful, Roadies. It is your responsibility to keep all your beloved pets safe.

You may not consider that friendly support, but it's still accurate and true.

To me, enabling bad decisions is neither friendly nor supportive.

You may not respond well to the type of feedback you're receiving, but if you take it to heart, your future bird will thank you for it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’m not sure if anyone is familiar with Tony Silva ? He’s given me the best advice imaginable
That´s great. He is very knowledgable. I enjoy his videos, he explains things very clearly.

If this was me , I'd start a new thread, a fresh slate.
That´s a good idea. Might want to skip calling everyone weirdos on the next one :tup:

As stated above, posting photos of dogs and birds in close contact is against the forum rules. Here is a link to them, please do have a read through, as knowing the rules will help you fit in better here on the board.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I totally understand what your saying there are some who jump to the negative specially where a Too is concerned...Ill give my 2 cents ..I adopted a goffins Cockatoo about 3 yrs ago i think and I did all my research and thought I knew what i was getting into but i was mistaken ..He was aggressive and screamed 40% of the day and night on and off ..My family tired for about 1 1/2 yrs to let him calm down but in the end i had to rehome due to his screaming ..this broke my heart but in the end i think it was better for all concerned ... My other birds were getting upset like everyone in the family fur babies included ... I now have a new Amazon which was a better choice for my family due to the sound ..not that Amazons or other birds cant scream their heads off but I have been lucky so far with my new addition ... Just seeing a Too in an apartment setting isnt ideal for anyone you included ..I would go to your closest rescue and visit the Toos there and talk to the volunteers and see what they say maybe volunteer yourself and see what they are like ..maybe a baby isnt the best option and you find your heart bird there ... I know babies are hard to resist but getting an adult is by far easier to know what they are like and that they wont change a bunch later in life ... I hope you read this and take what you want from it ..but i made the mistake with my Too and would hate to see another person make the same ;)

Outstrech

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Erica
You’re the only person who was kind and supportive. Thank you so much. Her she is playing with a dog, you know the same kinda dog everyone on here said she should never ever be around, lol. My research does say that they are super family oriented. Sometimes to a fault, as bad behaviors can develop if they feel neglected or ignored. Fortunately I’m in a position to be accessible whenever she needs me. Post COVID era I have become a huge hermit and prefer it that way.
If you are asking for advice and only replying to the positive ones why ask for advice innthe first place?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
is that really needed? Or in the spirt of the forum?

Can't there be some out of hand on both sides?

I'm new. I read the guidelines. It seems some of the spirit of that was lost here.

It makes me sad . I could not read everything posted it was to stressful and uncomfortable.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think most people are honestly trying to spare both the human & the future bird. The truth isn't always pleasant, but hopefully the OP will stick around, learn & make a truly informed decision. :)

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Curious here; is it possible to completely soundproof a room so that a Cockatoo's screaming can't be heard?? I don't really know how you would do that anyway, but on the one hand *you're* still gonna be in there dealing with all the noise but also wouldn't soundproofing material be a hazard for your bird? Toos will chew on anything and that looks very intriguing as a chew toy.
Seems to me most people are giving their own experiences to back up what they're saying so I mean I don't see what more you want, really... Can't expect to hear only what you like, especially on a matter such as this where another being's life and happiness is concerned. Everyone goes into bird ownership thinking they're not "the type" to rehome or give up, and maybe that's part of the problem. When things start going wrong and you literally can't live with this bird anymore without losing your sanity, your housing (or tenants), money, etc, and everything isn't the way you expected - because you couldn't be honest with yourself about the potential problems, then it won't matter that you started out fully and completely committed. I don't think it's possible to be fully committed without understanding and pondering fully all the awful stuff that could happen. These people are telling you what they would do (and most speak from years and years of experience), and I think that is very valuable information. No one here wants it to go badly for you and this potential bird. 'Too ownership is incredibly difficult enough, even without the housing situation in the mix. This forum is first-and-foremost committed to captive-kept birds' happiness and safety, more so than any platform I've ever found.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Curious here; is it possible to completely soundproof a room so that a Cockatoo's screaming can't be heard?? I don't really know how you would do that anyway, but on the one hand *you're* still gonna be in there dealing with all the noise but also wouldn't soundproofing material be a hazard for your bird? Toos will chew on anything and that looks very intriguing as a chew toy.
Seems to me most people are giving their own experiences to back up what they're saying so I mean I don't see what more you want, really... Can't expect to hear only what you like, especially on a matter such as this where another being's life and happiness is concerned. Everyone goes into bird ownership thinking they're not "the type" to rehome or give up, and maybe that's part of the problem. When things start going wrong and you literally can't live with this bird anymore without losing your sanity, your housing (or tenants), money, etc, and everything isn't the way you expected - because you couldn't be honest with yourself about the potential problems, then it won't matter that you started out fully and completely committed. I don't think it's possible to be fully committed without understanding and pondering fully all the awful stuff that could happen. These people are telling you what they would do (and most speak from years and years of experience), and I think that is very valuable information. No one here wants it to go badly for you and this potential bird. 'Too ownership is incredibly difficult enough, even without the housing situation in the mix. This forum is first-and-foremost committed to captive-kept birds' happiness and safety, more so than any platform I've ever found.
One of my concerns with the mention of sound proofing the room intended for the bird is that then essentially the bird (while in the room) is isolated from everyday normal sounds which I do not feel will be in the birds best interest.
A proper sound proofed room is honestly not a very comfortable or nice place to be for any length of time on your own as it is a form of sensory deprivation which can be rather unsettling and stressful to many and I expect it would be the same for birds who need noise to feel safe.

There are a lot of dreams, beliefs and ideas that sound really great but the reality of living with a large bird is most likely to be very different than what is imagined by even the most well researched want to be bird parent - this is the part that is the hardest bit of information to get across to want to be bird owners unfortunately...

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Without the help, advice and guidance of these weirdos :p :heart: I wouldn’t have my macaw with me now. I credit them hugely for saving his life, when he was just a little guy and terribly abused. I rescued him thinking I’d have all the skills lol because I’m a cvt and worked on macaws in the clinic setting. Huge difference in working on a patient for 30 mins and inviting one to live with you that needs constant, 24/7 monitoring. I’m still learning today in regard to all manner of veterinary issues. I think every single person who’s commented on this thread has only the best interest in both the bird and the persons well being. Some things can only be learned through experience, hardships and heartbreak and this forum has a massive combined experience in all of those things.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
One of my concerns with the mention of sound proofing the room intended for the bird is that then essentially the bird (while in the room) is isolated from everyday normal sounds which I do not feel will be in the birds best interest.
A proper sound proofed room is honestly not a very comfortable or nice place to be for any length of time on your own as it is a form of sensory deprivation which can be rather unsettling and stressful to many and I expect it would be the same for birds who need noise to feel safe.

There are a lot of dreams, beliefs and ideas that sound really great but the reality of living with a large bird is most likely to be very different than what is imagined by even the most well researched want to be bird parent - this is the part that is the hardest bit of information to get across to want to be bird owners unfortunately...
That's a really good point. The idea of sensory deprivation actually really freaks me out, personally. I can imagine it causing a lot of anxiety in a bird even with supplemented sound within the room.

I actually really think the OP should look into meeting other birds too - I know you mentioned toos are the only ones you feel a connection to but that could very well change upon meeting and handling other birds. There are incredible birds out there with their own awesome and different traits that might actually fit perfectly for you and your housing situation. Rescues are a great place to go cuz often times you can hang out with birds right there - who knows, you might fall in love and be chosen by the absolute perfect bird for you! Plus it's just great fun lol. It's impossible for me to even describe the feelings a lot of different bird species invoke in me, especially the smaller ones - tiels, conures, quakers, lovies, parrotlets. They're all different and all really cool and I vibe more with smaller ones personally because I love how active and "honest" they are with their expressions and actions. Always busy, always thinking. I met the sweetest quaker at a rescue once who I definitely fell in love with. Couldn't adopt him though unfortunately and it hurt to leave him there. :( My little Tiel (who I had to rehome unfortunately) was a completely different bird but insanely sweet and spunky in her own ways. And then my dove who I handraised, again a completely different bird but yanno my heart was his. Then there's my budgies who are completely hands-off yet I still love them immensely - the amount of character, joy, peace, and just pure spunk they show in their day-to-day actions is the most amazing thing. Anyway, my point is, I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by confining yourself to only one species of bird.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll offer my 2 cents.....

I got a U2 at age 7 months. She was still being hand fed. I continued to hand feed her for several more months. Some are slow to fully wean. She totally bonded to me. She'd climb off her cage, walk across the sofa or floor, climb up on my chair, sit in my lap, on my shoulder or the back of my chair. She was/is super sweet. Life was good.....then when she reached age 4 she totally freaked out. It was like throwing a light switch. She instantly feared me as tho I was going to hurt her. She stopped eating, sleeping & playing. I ended up taking her to the vet for a hormone shot. She went back to eating, playing, sleeping, but still feared me. She will be 23 years old this month & she still fears me. I can get her to come to me by holding a towel down, as she loves towels & will run right into one. As soon as I get close to her she begins to pant. The vet suggests she is so bonded to me she goes into breeding mode, which overwhelms her. My husband can approach her, pet her head, have her step up, etc., & she remains calm. In hindsight I wish I had not handled her so much when she was a baby. It may have made a big difference. We've tried darkness, light, added more & different toys, changed diet, etc. Nothing made any changes in her. There are times I can tell she wants to come to me, but fear keeps her from doing it. I can handle her & she has never bitten me, she remains sweet, but I limit contact to keep her from panting & being overwhelmed/stressed.

Her cage is in my living room. She insists on being covered at night, so we use a full or queen sized dark sheet. During the day she is is pretty quiet. It's more in the evening hours she can get loud. A U2 can scream loud enough to be heard several blocks away & they can do this at a young age. I'd say a U2 can out scream a macaw, except during macaw breeding season. I managed to change some of her loud blood curdling screams to more tolerable ones when she was young. I did this by making a more pleasant sound when she'd scream. She's not much of a talker, but when she'd scream real loud, usually when she was bouncing up & down, I'd say dance, dance. So now instead of the loud scream she makes her version of the word dance, which is ants, ants. She does make a very annoying long drawn out whine sound I've not been able to get her to change. Lately she's also been making this cute puppy whine sound. We have no idea where she picked this up, as we don't have a puppy. TV maybe.

I have a U2, CAG & a B&G Macaw. My birds are basically quiet only sounding off a little in the morning & a bit more in the evening. I'm thankful they are not all day screamers. In spring & summer they get to spend about 4-5 hours outside in our aviary. Winter & fall on a play gym.

You can read, watch videos & ask advice all you want. In the end each bird is different. There is no telling if a bird you get will be loud or quiet. It has been suggested by many in the bird world that you do your best to ignore screaming. Walk away, leave the room, do not respond or even look at the bird. This teaches them that screaming will not get them a positive reaction.

Cats carry a lot of bacteria that is toxic to birds. A tiny scratch from a cat can kill a bird. Their saliva can kill a bird. I had 8 toy poodles when we got our U2 & CAG. The dogs were taught to let the birds alone & they also feared the birds. Not all dogs will be like that tho. My birds never feared my dogs tho. There will be times your bird may be out while your dogs & cats are close, so accidents could happen in the blink of an eye. Being raised in captivity, without their parents, parrots do not know what is safe & what is not. Birds are flock creatures by nature & need to feel included. If they feel alone they can scream more. Perhaps an added screen door with a lock, so the cats & dogs can't open the door, on the birds room will allow the bird to feel more included compared to a closed door.

So here are my suggestions, since you are set on getting a U2....
Sound proof the room so your tenants will have some peace. Start from day one to ignore any screaming. Offer lots of toys to destroy & some they can't like metal toys. This keeps them busy & may prevent boredom screaming. Offer a playgym your bird can be on during the day time hours. Offer foraging feeding. Greet your bird in the morning, feed wet foods (veggies/etc.). Place bird on playygym for 1-2 hours, then back to it's cage, since you work from home. Offer out of cage time in the early evening hours as well. Limit hands on to head scritches. No laps, shoulders, etc. Stick to a routine, but don't be too time strict. Example: You feed the bird exactly at 5PM every day. One day you're an hour or two late for whatever reason (doc appointment, car broke down, bus was late, etc.), bird starts screaming because it wants food. Vary feeding time by one hour a few days a week. All you can do is try to raise the bird to be more quiet & not be an all day screamer. There are no guarantees.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Very good point about the soundproofing, Shezbug. I've been in an anechoic chamber. It's the antithesis of fun. No one liked it (this was years ago, in school).