• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi All ! Wanting My Dream Bird, Umbrella Cockatoo. Is It Time For Me Yet ?

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
I feel like I see valid points on both sides of this topic.

Relatoo has joined for knowledge , has been researching, thats a lot more than many people do. People do keep cockatoos . And the poster is dedicated to this species. I don't want them felt driven off, when being part of community like this has a lot to offer.

While everything shared by knowledgeable members is valid and truthful. This is a challenging species.

But so are budgies for many. Poor budgies are probably the most rehomed species. Because novice people unprepared. Sure they don't compare to the noise or destruction capabilities of 2s, but both are re homed because of un prepared owners. This poster is trying to prepare. I want to support that.

Some things that will help in having such a smart and social species. If the breeder can start introducing them to the harness. Its ever so much easier to harness train a baby parrot. And will lead to so much more freedom in being able to safely take them out side.

Reading up on behavior modification, and shaping behavior. Reading everything on problem behaviors and how to help. I like a lot of Pamela Clark articles.

Teaching foraging. It can be an activity to do together. And its a great way to keep them occupied and use mental energy. When they get good you can have them foraging for their full diet .

Set up a routine. If there is a couple of hours that you predictably need less interruption. Make that part of your day. I worked to have my free during the day birds, caged and quiet time for an hour to 2 mid day. They seem to look forward to this now. I set them up with foraging treats. You can pattern to soft music. I did a lot of rewarding quiet birds , and I still do.

Have an outlet for pent up energy. A time you do in home flight recall. Some minor or harder truck training. A time you go for a bike ride or walk together.
Thank you for your kind words. I totally agree with you. I know that a lot of people are tired of seeing how many cockatoos are rehomed. I know it’s sortve an epidemic in the aviary keeping world. All I can say is that I don’t get animals unless I can completely afford their daily care, vet costs, and housing them is comfortable for all. I love animals, and as mentioned this is not an impulsive decision, like oh wow that’s a beautiful bird, I want it. No, I totally understand this is can possibly be a challenge. A great challenge. What separates me from the new aviary keepers, is that I’m aware of the challenge, educated on it, and am not walking in blind. I’m not going to say 6 months from now that the bird was too loud, or the bird disrupted the other animals. I’m prepared to invest $5,000 to sound proof the room if she is too much for my other pets and or tenants. If that doesn’t show my level of commitment, I don’t know what will. I was just looking for tips on how to keep your pet cockatoo more on the quiet side. Nowhere did I say anywhere in my post that I was asking for advice on if I should get the bird or not. I’m a 30 year old adult who has made a decision to get a cockatoo. I appreciate the concern, but to all those negative people - with all due respect, I’m good. If you can’t offer friendly, kind advice then please just skip over. I don’t do well with people being negative towards me or decisions I make. Again, I’ve talked to several people who have raised birds for over 30+ years. I’m not sure if anyone is familiar with Tony Silva ? He’s given me the best advice imaginable, and never once was rude or discouraging like 90% of the responses on here. These people act like they’re the only ones suited for aviary keeping, it’s funny to me. To all those negative replies, remember that you all had to start and came into this as a newbie too. :) good day to all from now on I’m only replying to positive messages like this one and Mr Blueberry’s

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
I feel like I see valid points on both sides of this topic.

Relatoo has joined for knowledge , has been researching, thats a lot more than many people do. People do keep cockatoos . And the poster is dedicated to this species. I don't want them felt driven off, when being part of community like this has a lot to offer.

While everything shared by knowledgeable members is valid and truthful. This is a challenging species.

But so are budgies for many. Poor budgies are probably the most rehomed species. Because novice people unprepared. Sure they don't compare to the noise or destruction capabilities of 2s, but both are re homed because of un prepared owners. This poster is trying to prepare. I want to support that.

Some things that will help in having such a smart and social species. If the breeder can start introducing them to the harness. Its ever so much easier to harness train a baby parrot. And will lead to so much more freedom in being able to safely take them out side.

Reading up on behavior modification, and shaping behavior. Reading everything on problem behaviors and how to help. I like a lot of Pamela Clark articles.

Teaching foraging. It can be an activity to do together. And its a great way to keep them occupied and use mental energy. When they get good you can have them foraging for their full diet .

Set up a routine. If there is a couple of hours that you predictably need less interruption. Make that part of your day. I worked to have my free during the day birds, caged and quiet time for an hour to 2 mid day. They seem to look forward to this now. I set them up with foraging treats. You can pattern to soft music. I did a lot of rewarding quiet birds , and I still do.

Have an outlet for pent up energy. A time you do in home flight recall. Some minor or harder truck training. A time you go for a bike ride or walk together.
Btw - please link me to the Pamela Clark articles I’d love to read them asap !

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
This is a good foraging video

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
This is an all around article i like

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
This is an all around article i like
I appreciate you ! Thank you for being kind. Sorry I am so defensive in my other messages ( not directed towards you of course ), I just don’t like other grown adults thinking they know what’s best for another grown adult they never met before. I am going to watch that video now. What do you think of the Sockatoo’s ? I heard they’re a great foraging treat. Any familiarity with those ? xx

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I’m going to delete this thread and remove myself from the group. You people act like you’re the only people capable of bird keeping. I have spoken to one of the most respected aviary keepers in the world. I trust him more than any armchair warrior in this thread. I was warned not to post in these forums. You get a lot of weirdos thinking they know you and can tell you what’s suitable or not for you. Like go eat a d. BYE
Aww
I hope you will give us a chance. Maybe send a message to the moderator? Ask if some of tge negativity can be thinned out?

People can all pile on sometimes .

Kinda think of it as behavior modification practice. That helps me.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I appreciate you ! Thank you for being kind. Sorry I am so defensive in my other messages ( not directed towards you of course ), I just don’t like other grown adults thinking they know what’s best for another grown adult they never met before. I am going to watch that video now. What do you think of the Sockatoo’s ? I heard they’re a great foraging treat. Any familiarity with those ? xx
I'm not familiar with sockatoo, I will have to look it up or you can link?

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
I don’t want to come off as argumentative or combative, but if people can’t be supportive I just ask them to keep scrolling. They’re not changing my decision or discouraging me from adding the bird to my family, and nowhere in my post did you see me ask IF I should get the bird. I asked for TIPS on keeping your parrot/too on the quiet side. Wouldn’t everyone want to be educated on how to curb bad behaviors ? A lot of people in this forum took my post as if I was asking if I should get the bird or not. That ship has sailed guys. Moving forward, I would love all tips and advice on adding this new baby girl to her forever home. If you can’t offer that, save yourself the time and keep scrolling. I won’t entertain negativity any further. Thanks xx

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'm still looking fir other articles I like

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
Aww
I hope you will give us a chance. Maybe send a message to the moderator? Ask if some of tge negativity can be thinned out?

People can all pile on sometimes .

Kinda think of it as behavior modification practice. That helps me.
I like you a lot ! You seem so kind and caring. Thank you very much I’m going to give it a try again thanks to you. I mean nowhere did I even ask IF I should get the bird. I just asked for tips and pointers from the “experienced” keepers. They seem entitled and as if they feel like they’re the only people who can keep birds. We all have to start somewhere, right ? Hopefully in time and after I’ve had the bird for a while they will see I’m not an impulse buyer or someone who will quit on this animal. As I said many many times here already, she is mine for life. And she will be happy because I’m going to provide the best life anyone possibly could for her. I promise xx

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
I'm not familiar with sockatoo, I will have to look it up or you can link?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That goes for anything. I just think the response to my post from everyone on here has been judgmental and shizzty. I totally get and am educated on how often cockatoos are rehomed because of impulse buys, or being bought for children that age out. I’ve made it quite clear I’m not one of “those people” and that this was a decision 25 years in the making. I think all that matters when adding a pet to your family is that you can afford it, you own the property so never have to worry about a landlord, and the current pets you already have are well trained. All of the above apply for me. I’m also going as far as to sound proof her entire room that the cage will be in, if it bothers my other animals or tenants I rent to. Thanks for the input
Your title is:

So people were literally responding to that. They are not being judgmental. We were giving you things to think about that perhaps you had not considered. The advice given here would be good for any species.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I don’t want to come off as argumentative or combative, but if people can’t be supportive I just ask them to keep scrolling. They’re not changing my decision or discouraging me from adding the bird to my family, and nowhere in my post did you see me ask IF I should get the bird. I asked for TIPS on keeping your parrot/too on the quiet side. Wouldn’t everyone want to be educated on how to curb bad behaviors ? A lot of people in this forum took my post as if I was asking if I should get the bird or not. That ship has sailed guys. Moving forward, I would love all tips and advice on adding this new baby girl to her forever home. If you can’t offer that, save yourself the time and keep scrolling. I won’t entertain negativity any further. Thanks xx
Understandable.
There comes a point when it seems like we are just pounding people.

Also tho , we all are going to throw in stuff we think is important. We parrot people are passionate! And sometimes people don't know what they don't know .

If this was me , I'd start a new thread, a fresh slate. Give us all a second chance. The risks and challenges of cockatoo keeping and warnings have been fully covered here. Start one, future cockatoo owner looking for helpful supporting advice in providing for them. Looking for cockatoo owners tips , how they overcome challenges.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Thanks will check out link. Best of luck to you . I gotta run do some stuff.
Thanks for sticking through

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
Your title is:

So people were literally responding to that. They are not being judgmental. We were giving you things to think about that perhaps you had not considered. The advice given here would be good for any species.
I can see why the subject line would be misunderstood. However I meant something completely different as far as ownership.

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
Understandable.
There comes a point when it seems like we are just pounding people.

Also tho , we all are going to throw in stuff we think is important. We parrot people are passionate! And sometimes people don't know what they don't know .

If this was me , I'd start a new thread, a fresh slate. Give us all a second chance. The risks and challenges of cockatoo keeping and warnings have been fully covered here. Start one, future cockatoo owner looking for helpful supporting advice in providing for them. Looking for cockatoo owners tips , how they overcome challenges.
Thanks, I’m sure 95% of the people entering aviary keeping need and deserve the pounding. I’m one of the 5% that’s here to stay, though :) thanks again for the kind words, will delete and start fresh

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
If a moderator can kindly delete my entire thread I’d appreciate it. Thank you