• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi All ! Wanting My Dream Bird, Umbrella Cockatoo. Is It Time For Me Yet ?

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
Hi all,
I am new to the forum, but have been a bird lover all my life. Since I was little, I ALWAYS wanted a cockatoo. After moving back into a family owned apartment building, I’ve been considering it more. There was a family with a special needs adult male that lived above me, and he’d constantly bang. The building is older, so you’d hear it magnified. ( remember this detail, as it ties into my overall question ) I didn’t think it would be fair to move a bird into a household where it can be startled so randomly and frequently. They have since moved, and I have been putting a lot of thought into adding this family member. I have two dogs, 3 cats, a turtle, and tortoise. Love all of them as if they’re my own children. I know cockatoos are not the best bird to jump into the aviary keeping world with, but quite frankly it’s the only bird species I’m interested in. I found someone who has a female baby umbrella. I am going to put a deposit down, and gauge how things go. The woman said she can hold the bird for me for a few months and sort of gauge the birds temperament and see if she tends to be a screamer. I know ALL cockatoos will scream, and I’m fine with that. I just don’t think it will be fair to other tenants in my building if she happens to be a screamer all day long. Is there a chance that the baby female umbrella ‘too will be less of a screamer / trained to not disrupt the building ( and block tbh - in the city all houses and apartment buildings are so close they touch each other ). As mentioned, the building is family owned so we’d never be facing an eviction or the bird at risk of being rehomed. That would never be an option. Once an animal comes into my home - this is their sanctuary for life. However, I also don’t want to be enemy number 1 in my neighborhood/building. I work from home post Covid and will be for the foreseeable future, so I don’t see the bird being left alone for work schedules and things of that nature. I’ve done extensive research - via hours of videos, reading, talking to breeders and rescues. I am well aware that this bird will become attached to me, and I’d never ruin her life by Rehoming her and putting her in position of stress. My only priority is making sure she lives her best life and is happy. That all being said, again, I’d like some tips and advice, and welcome all opinions but ask not to be treated as if this in an impulse buy im inquiring on or something negative in nature. I thank you all in advance and really look forward to hearing all advice / suggestions.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My advice is to wait. Sorry. An umbrella in an apartment building is a recipe for disaster. I also think with all the other pets you have it's not a good mix. I am fostering an umbrella right now. I don't consider him a screamer. But when he screams, I can hear him from across the street. I'm pretty sure my neighbors hate me. I can't imagine if it was an apartment building. They also need a lot of space. A lot. A really big cage. And they need to be kept away from your cats and dogs. Not sure how you can do that in an apartment. Don't believe all those "cute" youtube videos where the dogs and cats are playing together. It's just a huge and possibly fatal accident waiting to happen. Which then leads to my next point- if you have no bird experience, please don't get a baby cockatoo. So many adult cockatoos are "damaged" because they were never raised properly. I'm not saying you would do it intentionally but spoiling and snuggling a baby cockatoo leads to a messed up adult. And you have no idea what a baby is going to be like as an adult. It's a baby. To say a baby isn't going to be a screamer is ridiculous. You just don't know. If you do decide to get a cockatoo, please look into adopting an adult. There are SO many out there in needs of good homes. And with an adult their personality is already developed. Sorry if I'm sounding harsh. I don't mean to be. I am the first to encourage a person to get the bird they want from the start. And there are so many cockatoos out there in need of good homes. SO many. I just don't see an umbrella as an apartment bird.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I don't have a lot of time so I will quickly say it is not a good idea to combine parrots with dogs and cats in an apartment which probably doesn't have much room to keep them entirely separate.
I also suggest adopting an older bird from a shelter. You will know the personality much better. Youngsters and adults can have entirely different personalities. Puberty can be hell too.
Being home for work a lot could lead to a lot of screaming when you rarely go out.
Pllease read these 2 articles and believe them!
Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

https://blogpamelaclarkonline.com/2018/04/10/avoid-the-pair-bond-social-relationships-with-parrots/

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am well aware that this bird will become attached to me, and I’d never ruin her life by Rehoming her and putting her in position of stress.
No one can promise this. I am not sure how old you are, but these birds can live to be 40 to 70 years old. The odds that they will be in more than one home is better than the odds of them being in one home their entire life. And that's even if everything goes perfect, and you both life long lives.

How do your other pets do with loud noises? That would be another consideration as they will not be able to escape as easily.

I adopted a quaker as a baby and he was fine for a long time before screaming 8 hours a day. So it is impossible to predict how they will mature. I personally avoid babies completely now as puberty suuuuucks :rofl:

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
I agree with all the above points. If you decide to go through with this, there is a HIGH chance that you will be kicked out of the apartment due to the noise. And if you can't separate the dogs and cats from the birds, you are bringing a bird into a potentially fatal situation, plus the stress of the other pets from the screaming. I honestly wouldn't recommend that cats and dogs live in very close quarters with anything larger than a conure, due to the stress of the noise. Elderly cats going deaf may be able to live in fairly close quarters with a slightly larger bird, but even that would be a case-by-case situation.

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
My advice is to wait. Sorry. An umbrella in an apartment building is a recipe for disaster. I also think with all the other pets you have it's not a good mix. I am fostering an umbrella right now. I don't consider him a screamer. But when he screams, I can hear him from across the street. I'm pretty sure my neighbors hate me. I can't imagine if it was an apartment building. They also need a lot of space. A lot. A really big cage. And they need to be kept away from your cats and dogs. Not sure how you can do that in an apartment. Don't believe all those "cute" youtube videos where the dogs and cats are playing together. It's just a huge and possibly fatal accident waiting to happen. Which then leads to my next point- if you have no bird experience, please don't get a baby cockatoo. So many adult cockatoos are "damaged" because they were never raised properly. I'm not saying you would do it intentionally but spoiling and snuggling a baby cockatoo leads to a messed up adult. And you have no idea what a baby is going to be like as an adult. It's a baby. To say a baby isn't going to be a screamer is ridiculous. You just don't know. If you do decide to get a cockatoo, please look into adopting an adult. There are SO many out there in needs of good homes. And with an adult their personality is already developed. Sorry if I'm sounding harsh. I don't mean to be. I am the first to encourage a person to get the bird they want from the start. And there are so many cockatoos out there in need of good homes. SO many. I just don't see an umbrella as an apartment bird.
I totally respect your opinion, however I own the building. I can and will sound proof her room if it’s a problem ! My animals are well trained and wouldn’t be in a position to bother or hurt the bird, either. The bird is also being raised with several cats and dogs currently, and I’ve received countless pictures showing me how they enjoy each other’s company. I’ve researched extensively and know what I’m up against, and as mentioned Rehoming her won’t be an option ! I was just looking for a solution if she did turn out to be loud, but I found it in that I will just have her room soundproof. She’ll have an entire room to herself, and I’ll be investing in the biggest, nicest cage that’s available. Thank you for your input !!

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
I agree with all the above points. If you decide to go through with this, there is a HIGH chance that you will be kicked out of the apartment due to the noise. And if you can't separate the dogs and cats from the birds, you are bringing a bird into a potentially fatal situation, plus the stress of the other pets from the screaming. I honestly wouldn't recommend that cats and dogs live in very close quarters with anything larger than a conure, due to the stress of the noise. Elderly cats going deaf may be able to live in fairly close quarters with a slightly larger bird, but even that would be a case-by-case situation.
I own the apartment building, if my tenants don’t like it they can leave. However, I decided that i will just sound proof her cage. I was only looking for a recommendation like that. I’m educated on the bird, I have kept animals all my life. I wouldn’t get get an animal to without being sure I’m giving it the best life and possible. Thanks for your input though !

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Honestly do yourself a huge favor and read up on the changes that happen when a baby bird matures- if you are looking for a bird to stay with you and be the best company and be the happiest it can be then getting a baby is not the best idea. Babies do not want to be around their parental figures (which you will essentially be if you acquire a baby) when they mature and can become very problematic for the owner and end up miserable, this is why so many young 2s are in shelters or are up for sale.

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
Also I have a very large apartment. If I lived in a two or three floor, the bird would be on one floor anyway, so I don’t see a difference as far as space goes. As for the noise, I’ll be investing in her room to be soundproof. If other tenants don’t like it, they can move. I’ve done a lot of research and if I was putting the animal in a bad living situation, I wouldn’t be getting her. Once again thank you for your input though !

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
No one can promise this. I am not sure how old you are, but these birds can live to be 40 to 70 years old. The odds that they will be in more than one home is better than the odds of them being in one home their entire life. And that's even if everything goes perfect, and you both life long lives.

How do your other pets do with loud noises? That would be another consideration as they will not be able to escape as easily.

I adopted a quaker as a baby and he was fine for a long time before screaming 8 hours a day. So it is impossible to predict how they will mature. I personally avoid babies completely now as puberty suuuuucks :rofl:
I’m going to be turning 30 in august, I don’t think we should put an age limit on buying a cockatoo, so long as you have a legitimate home lined up in case god forbid you as an owner pass. Me personally, I’ll have in writing who the bird will go to and I already have a very good home lined up, god forbid anything happens to me. I understand the puberty stage will suck, by then I’ll own my single family home and won’t be living in the city.

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
Honestly do yourself a huge favor and read up on the changes that happen when a baby bird matures- if you are looking for a bird to stay with you and be the best company and be the happiest it can be then getting a baby is not the best idea. Babies do not want to be around their parental figures (which you will essentially be if you acquire a baby) when they mature and can become very problematic for the owner and end up miserable, this is why so many young 2s are in shelters or are up for sale.
If that happens I will provide the best life possible for her, just as you or anyone in that circumstance would.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I’m going to be turning 30 in august, I don’t think we should put an age limit on buying a cockatoo, so long as you have a legitimate home lined up in case god forbid you as an owner pass. Me personally, I’ll have in writing who the bird will go to and I already have a very good home lined up, god forbid anything happens to me. I understand the puberty stage will suck, by then I’ll own my single family home and won’t be living in the city.
Never said age should be a barrier, just that you can't promise anything. :) There are no guarantees in life.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Some additional comments that haven't been said by the others:
  • There's no conceivable way to soundproof a cage that would maintain it as a suitable enclosure for a bird.
  • If your work-at-home job involves the phone, be prepared for your calls to be disrupted (picture attempting to have a productive conference call while the fire alarm is sounding).
  • Avian husbandry is unlikely any of your previous animal companion experience.
  • Most importantly and sincerely, since you've already made up your mind that you know best, that characteristic reveals that you will struggle even more than the knowledgeable people in this thread are predicting.

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
I love cockatoos! Also my dream species ! Photos please !

I have no advice other than do alot research on wild umbrella cockatoos and read up about their social interactions in a flock (I believe they are the only species that are extremely family oriented) and their body language and cues

I hope that whatever bird you get lives a well rounded joyful life

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
If you are working frim home, your new cockatoo may not understand you need quiet (if you're on the phone).
When they sound off, it does not stop within seconds, as you must know from your research.
As for your teanats who haved probably lived in the building for years and make monthly rental payments, I am shocked by your attitude that "If they don't like it (noise),then they can leave".
For someone who is 30 and comes on here asking for advice from valued members then having an "I know better than you" attitude, why bother to waste our time offering advice.
Aftee all, you know it all.

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
Never said age should be a barrier, just that you can't promise anything. :) There are no guarantees in life.
That goes for anything. I just think the response to my post from everyone on here has been judgmental and shizzty. I totally get and am educated on how often cockatoos are rehomed because of impulse buys, or being bought for children that age out. I’ve made it quite clear I’m not one of “those people” and that this was a decision 25 years in the making. I think all that matters when adding a pet to your family is that you can afford it, you own the property so never have to worry about a landlord, and the current pets you already have are well trained. All of the above apply for me. I’m also going as far as to sound proof her entire room that the cage will be in, if it bothers my other animals or tenants I rent to. Thanks for the input

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
Some additional comments that haven't been said by the others:
  • There's no conceivable way to soundproof a cage that would maintain it as a suitable enclosure for a bird.
  • If your work-at-home job involves the phone, be prepared for your calls to be disrupted (picture attempting to have a productive conference call while the fire alarm is sounding).
  • Avian husbandry is unlikely any of your previous animal companion experience.
  • Most importantly and sincerely, since you've already made up your mind that you know best, that characteristic reveals that you will struggle even more than the knowledgeable people in this thread are predicting.
1.) I said I’m sound proofing the room that she will be in, not her cage. If you’re going to try and come at someone with this attitude, come with the facts and correct information.
2.) that’s fine, none of my work involves talking on the phone
3.) cool, I’ve had all different animals my entire life, can’t wait to add a cockatoo to my family
4.) I’ve made up in my mind that you all are mostly weirdos who try to act holier than thou and should really just be supportive and encouraging. I won’t ever struggle with anything sweet heart, never. So please get that straight. Thank you

Last edited:

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
If you are working frim home, your new cockatoo may not understand you need quiet (if you're on the phone).
When they sound off, it does not stop within seconds, as you must know from your research.
As for your teanats who haved probably lived in the building for years and make monthly rental payments, I am shocked by your attitude that "If they don't like it (noise),then they can leave".
For someone who is 30 and comes on here asking for advice from valued members then having an "I know better than you" attitude, why bother to waste our time offering advice.
Aftee all, you know it all.
I never claimed to know it all, and don’t have a I know better than you attitude. I have a “I know my personal situation and what I’m capable of and not capable of handling” attitude. I was warned about posting in forums like this. You got just a bunch of weirdos that think they’re the only ones suitable for bird keeping. It’s really not that serious. Chill out, if you can’t offer friendly support, then don’t engage with the post. Simple

Last edited:

rellatoo

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
I love cockatoos! Also my dream species ! Photos please !

I have no advice other than do alot research on wild umbrella cockatoos and read up about their social interactions in a flock (I believe they are the only species that are extremely family oriented) and their body language and cues

I hope that whatever bird you get lives a well rounded joyful life
You’re the only person who was kind and supportive. Thank you so much. Her she is playing with a dog, you know the same kinda dog everyone on here said she should never ever be around, lol. My research does say that they are super family oriented. Sometimes to a fault, as bad behaviors can develop if they feel neglected or ignored. Fortunately I’m in a position to be accessible whenever she needs me. Post COVID era I have become a huge hermit and prefer it that way.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I feel like I see valid points on both sides of this topic.

Relatoo has joined for knowledge , has been researching, thats a lot more than many people do. People do keep cockatoos . And the poster is dedicated to this species. I don't want them felt driven off, when being part of community like this has a lot to offer.

While everything shared by knowledgeable members is valid and truthful. This is a challenging species.

But so are budgies for many. Poor budgies are probably the most rehomed species. Because novice people unprepared. Sure they don't compare to the noise or destruction capabilities of 2s, but both are re homed because of un prepared owners. This poster is trying to prepare. I want to support that.

Some things that will help in having such a smart and social species. If the breeder can start introducing them to the harness. Its ever so much easier to harness train a baby parrot. And will lead to so much more freedom in being able to safely take them out side.

Reading up on behavior modification, and shaping behavior. Reading everything on problem behaviors and how to help. I like a lot of Pamela Clark articles.

Teaching foraging. It can be an activity to do together. And its a great way to keep them occupied and use mental energy. When they get good you can have them foraging for their full diet .

Set up a routine. If there is a couple of hours that you predictably need less interruption. Make that part of your day. I worked to have my free during the day birds, caged and quiet time for an hour to 2 mid day. They seem to look forward to this now. I set them up with foraging treats. You can pattern to soft music. I did a lot of rewarding quiet birds , and I still do.

Have an outlet for pent up energy. A time you do in home flight recall. Some minor or harder truck training. A time you go for a bike ride or walk together.