• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Large reptile in my house

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
All these little bugs creep me out however if large reptiles were finding their ways into my home I would move states! Phoenix and poop would not be for me!!!

Even though I adore your house rockybird, I'd leave it behind! Glad you have the willpower to not wet yourself.

I do have to ask, how do you sleep at night?

No Phoenix for me, no poop for me, no lizards stuck to a wall for me!

Last edited:

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@gibsongrrrl That is nightmarish!!!!! I'm glad you didnt kill them. But I dont think wolf spiders are harmful or poisonous. I actually like them. They hunt their prey like wolves. The females are unusual for spiders in that they guard their eggs. They will bring them out of their burrow for warmth and turn them so they stay warm. For spiders, I think they are considered intelligent. They also dont spin webs.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
@gibsongrrrl That is nightmarish!!!!! I'm glad you didnt kill them. But I dont think wolf spiders are harmful or poisonous. I actually like them. They hunt their prey like wolves. The females are unusual for spiders in that they guard their eggs. They will bring them out of their burrow for warmth and turn them so they stay warm. For spiders, I think they are considered intelligent. They also dont spin webs.
they do seem pretty darn smart! I did see one rolling her egg ball out in the back yard also. I was wondering what she was doing that for. I should look up what they eat. Hopefully widows are on their menu. We have cellar spiders and I leave them alone because they eat the widows and we have seen a total of 4 or 5 around the outside. ugh, spiders! I know they all make babies, but actually seeing them just horified me. I can't stop wondering where they are in the house, lol.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Awe :hehe:
One of my true spiders has a sac right now. I'm looking forward to being a spider momma and watching the little ones travel on her back. But, I really like spiders.

@rockybird I wouldn't consider an orange baboon tarantula great for a beginner but they're not the most dangerous in the hobby IMHO anyway. It is the only spider when my mother comes over that would freak her out. Keep in mind I've kept Goliath tarantulas, so maybe they're creepier in person than I think. I'm used to arboreal tarantulas. Their speed is almost ridiculous, but they're great to look at. I'm getting back into some terrestrial arachnids and the difference in temperament and speed is night and day for some of them.

Someone I know is doing a breeding project with Jerusalem crickets right now. I prefer roaches myself (not the kind you find infesting homes that can carry diseases).
Jerusalem crickets are so strange looking! has your friend been bitten by them? I heard they bite:omg:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@MandaExotics Yikes! You keep tarantulas as pets! Wow! babies??? I dunno about that. I respect spiders but I dont think I would want one as a pet, but I can understand it to some degree as they are very interesting animals. arboreal tarantulas? Do they live in trees? They sound like they might eat birds? Here is one I found a few weeks ago, living outside my house. He was very scared of me:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think I'm going to have nightmares tonight! :scared4:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Macawnutz I have been in this house 4 yrs. and this is the first summer I have seen reptiles (other than geckos) in the house. I think they got in through doors - the two large lizards were each living in the storage room, across from the carport door. I think they got in when the carport door was open, not because they wanted to, but because they felt trapped and went through the first opening they could find. I think the snake came in under the glass pivot door though! I found ANOTHER one - a tiny baby ground snake (gorgeous black and red striped) STUCK on the painters tape trying to get into the house under the pivot door! I wonder if the snakes came in for the water. I believe the lizards did not want to come in. Everything out here though is trying to survive and everything wants water! I actually love the wildlife, as long as I dont find any poisonous snakes in the house! (My friend found a rattlesnake in his house!) I have taped the door threshold better, so hopefully no more snakes!

Here is a pretty ground snake (very tiny) I found trapped on the patio after a torrential rainstorm:

Isnt he gorgeous?

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@gibsongrrrl As much as I like wolf spiders, I dont want them in my house! I dont blame you for being nervous!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
@Macawnutz I have been in this house 4 yrs. and this is the first summer I have seen reptiles (other than geckos) in the house. I think they got in through doors - the two large lizards were each living in the storage room, across from the carport door. I think they got in when the carport door was open, not because they wanted to, but because they felt trapped and went through the first opening they could find. I think the snake came in under the glass pivot door though! I found ANOTHER one - a tiny baby ground snake (gorgeous black and red striped) STUCK on the painters tape trying to get into the house under the pivot door! I wonder if the snakes came in for the water. I believe the lizards did not want to come in. Everything out here though is trying to survive and everything wants water! I actually love the wildlife, as long as I dont find any poisonous snakes in the house! (My friend found a rattlesnake in his house!) I have taped the door threshold better, so hopefully no more snakes!

Here is a pretty ground snake (very tiny) I found trapped on the patio after a torrential rainstorm:

Isnt he gorgeous?
so gorgeous! I'd much rather have snakes in my house. Those I can deal with and don't mind touching them. Or, more importantly, being touched by them, lol.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
@MandaExotics Yikes! You keep tarantulas as pets! Wow! babies??? I dunno about that. I respect spiders but I dont think I would want one as a pet, but I can understand it to some degree as they are very interesting animals. arboreal tarantulas? Do they live in trees? They sound like they might eat birds? Here is one I found a few weeks ago, living outside my house. He was very scared of me:

I doubt most arboreals would be efficient at hunting birds. Though a few of the larger terrestrial tarantulas have the name birdeater. Some tarantulas live in burrows while others live among trees and holes. I wish tarantulas and even centipedes were native around where I am, but they are not. I've kept reptiles and arachnids around 10 years, give or take 2 yrs. Reptiles slightly longer than arachnids.

While I don't usually appreciate wild spiders roaming in any more than i would a hummingbird, they're neat to watch.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I think you're all mad. here in capetown we have our own problems, such as the boomslang.

A snake which likes to hide in trees and drop on you as you pass underneath!

Africa is not for sissies

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I think you're all mad. here in capetown we have our own problems, such as the boomslang.

A snake which likes to hide in trees and drop on you as you pass underneath!

Africa is not for sissies
They're interesting as rear-fanged elapids, but I'm not keen on dealing with venomous snakes personally. The worst I have native around here are a couple rattlesnakes and copperheads as far as snakes go. Though a lot of people misidentify a harmless native species a lot around here.

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
We have creepy crawlies galore here... I don't even go into the garden shed because of the massive python that hangs out there sometimes!

We were finding giant lizard poops on the carpet in the tv room last year. Eventually my boyfriend found a blue tongue lizard in there and evicted it to the garden. Now it has a habit of hanging out in my veggie garden and giving me a hell of a fright regulary! It seems to like to sit under whatever I plan to pick that morning and as I reach down to harvest something and see that tail I have an "omg there's a snake" moment. Maybe because I grew up in a country that has no snakes I am extra scared of them, but I can't even stand to see little harmless snakes(especially when they are getting around the flyscreens and into the house)! Also, what Australians call harmless actually means midly vemonous.... That's not comforting! Everyone told me huntsmen spiders are harmless, including the lady who turned up at a class I was teaching with a swollen arm, nausea and feeling weird because a huntsman bit her when she was gardening a couple hours before. That isn't actually harmless... that's what we consider almost deadly back home!

We had this bugger try to join us for lunch last week 20150908_124939.jpg
It was big enough to eat Nila (or get mauled by Sapphire if it picked the wrong cage)! it made me wish I could take my birds home, even if it means ditching the boyfriend who says it is harmless...

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have creepy crawlies galore here... I don't even go into the garden shed because of the massive python that hangs out there sometimes!

We were finding giant lizard poops on the carpet in the tv room last year. Eventually my boyfriend found a blue tongue lizard in there and evicted it to the garden. Now it has a habit of hanging out in my veggie garden and giving me a hell of a fright regulary! It seems to like to sit under whatever I plan to pick that morning and as I reach down to harvest something and see that tail I have an "omg there's a snake" moment. Maybe because I grew up in a country that has no snakes I am extra scared of them, but I can't even stand to see little harmless snakes(especially when they are getting around the flyscreens and into the house)! Also, what Australians call harmless actually means midly vemonous.... That's not comforting! Everyone told me huntsmen spiders are harmless, including the lady who turned up at a class I was teaching with a swollen arm, nausea and feeling weird because a huntsman bit her when she was gardening a couple hours before. That isn't actually harmless... that's what we consider almost deadly back home!

We had this bugger try to join us for lunch last week View attachment 209210
It was big enough to eat Nila (or get mauled by Sapphire if it picked the wrong cage)! it made me wish I could take my birds home, even if it means ditching the boyfriend who says it is harmless...
OMG! You poor thing! You sound tortured! :hug8: I feel your pain and have to agree with you. Your story did make me :giggle: Where is home?

InTheAir

Real Name
Claire
@Flipper New Zealand. We have a native poisonous spider and it is so rare that it is a privilege to see it. I never have had that honour:)

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's a pic of things I found in the pool one day last year, all dead unfortunately, wolf spider, scorpion, and camel spider/scorpion:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:scared4:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@MandaExotics Copperheads are no good! Around here we have A LOT of rattlesnakes. I used to mtn bike at night after work, as I live near the trails. I would see SO MANY rattlers in the summer. Once I went up a steep incline and my chain came off! I had to unclip and put my foot down or I would have fallen badly. As soon as I put my foot down, I heard a loud rattle! I knew my foot was next to a rattle snake, but I couldnt see it in the dark, as my light was attached to the bike and pointed straight ahead. I knew if I didnt move I would surely be bitten. He was rattling up a storm. I also knew if I moved, I risked being bitten. I didnt think I had a choice so I moved up the steep incline, praying I didnt step on it and praying it didnt strike. When I got to the top of the incline, I shone my light down. My foot was INCHES from a HUGE angry rattler! How I didnt get bit, I have no idea. Thank goodness I didnt put my foot on top of him when I unclipped!

@InTheAir That bluetongued lizard is beautiful! LOL@your spider comment! Very well put! Hopefully, that was a nonvenomous snake!