• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Large reptile in my house

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have a lot of reptiles in my yard. I see harmless snakes and all sorts of lizards all the time. Last week, I came home to a large reptile dropping in my entryway! I searched and found a LARGE lizard, cowering in fear in the guest bedroom. I was able to catch him (see pic below) and let him go. He took off and I didnt expect to ever see him again. He had been living in my outside storage room for the past year, and I would see him frequently coming and going ( the crack is high under the door). I believe he got in when I opened the front door. Interestingly, right away a new big lizard of a different species moved into the storage room after he left.

Well, this AM, I found a large reptile dropping in the living room! I have had family coming and going and they left yesterday at 5 AM. I am wondering if something ran in while they were loading luggage. Please tell me that this is a lizard dropping! I cannot bear the thought of a snake loose in the house with the birds here. I am wondering if the same large lizard came back? I dont want him to starve. There are no bugs to eat in the house. I dont know what to do! I cant find him. I keep turning on the lights and searching, as I know the best chance to find something is at night.

join date.

Last edited by a moderator:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Hope some Lizard poop wizards come on soon for you! I'd be frantic myself fearing it could be a snake.

Do larger lizards ever prey on parrots? Praying not! and that you have no snakes inside.

Blue & Spud

Walking the driveway
Real Name
amanda
Lol hmmmm better than the reptile I had in my house a few weeks back it was right near my bird cages (tiny little lovebirds) at 1 in the morning, about a 2 metre (6 ft) long olive Python. He WAS NOT welcome

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That looks very similar to my gecko's poop. White (urates) + pellet type poop is lizard. Snakes don't poop "pellets".

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
From the photo, I'd guess something similar to an Eastern Fence Lizard, or a Spiny Lizard, or something else in the Sceloporus family. But I'm certainly no expert and it's hard to tell from the photo. If so, they eat bugs and shouldn't be a hazard to your birds.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:scared4: Time to call a wildlife evacuater person :scared1:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with @Mizzely And I can't imagine he is that large if we are correct. Lizards are good! They eat bugs in your house and around it. I had them in my shore home often. They were welcome guests. :D

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You do have the wide assortment of wildlife. They must know you have a kind heart. Perhaps release them a bit (a lot) further from your neighborhood?

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I agree that it's a lizard. Think, if I was a lizard where would I be? Someplace warm and possibly humid most likely. Hiding in a washing machine room or electrical unit or any vents that might be open in your house. Similar places.

Any info, if I come along with it, I'll post later when I have some free time.

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Awwww... he's cute! I love reptiles. Nothing to fear about that little guy, he's not poisonous and they aren't aggressive towards humans. He looks like what we always called a "fence lizard". Just your garden variety lizard that didn't bother anyone or anything.

The dropping does look like a lizard dropping, very much like what comes out of my gecko (and before she passed) my beardie. Don't be fooled by the size of the dropping either. Even smaller lizards can sometimes produce VERY large droppings, depending on what they've eaten. I promise you don't have a dinosaur or anaconda roaming your house:lol: There probably is a certain someone who is very frightened though and would probably very much want to be back outside where he or she belongs as much as you want them back outside too!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh yeah my gecko has droppings that look like they came out of a lizard 3 times his size!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Where on earth do you live...I need to know so I NEVER move there!:faint: I think I would totally freak if I had animals like that that could get into my house! Not a reptile person! Although I have to say the lizard in the box is kind of neat...I just would not want him in my house!:wideyed:

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Oh yeah my gecko has droppings that look like they came out of a lizard 3 times his size!
I know! Leo gets wild bugs all summer long and when we lived in Arizona, he'd get huge grasshoppers which equated to huge poops, sometimes as large as those of my bearded dragon:omg:.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Unless he's in my living room and then I'd be crashing into everything to get as far away from him as possible and screaming my head off!;)
You know what Jen, it would probably be best if you don't move to AZ, NM or TX. Like is said, everything here bites, stings or pokes.