• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help! Large reptile in my house

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Awwwwwwwwww. Such a big boy. Glad you were able to catch him and safely release him.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OMG! Now you need to super glue your house shut :omg::faint:

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
LOL @Macawnutz and @Flipper I need to be ultra careful about opening doors around here. I tend to get lazy and leave them open if I am doing something quick outside.

I have never seen so much wildlife as I have this summer. I just put in a drip system and a LOT of plants. I am wondering if this is why.

Sheesh! I am just sitting here typing this and I hear a knocking at the glass slider door. I get up and look out and I am looking face to face with a racoon! We looked at each other for awhile. Then he took off. I heard him hit the fence. I hope he wasnt hurt. :(

Last edited:

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Well, I found another dropping under the living room credenza last night, near where I found the first one. I left three mealworms out and they were not eaten. They were left on a lid, but I dont think that would deter a big lizard. I think that these droppings have to be from the large lizard I found last week or from a lizard that somehow found its way out of the house by now. I cleaned the living room floor last Monday, so I know the first dropping wasnt there at that time. It's possible it somehow got pushed out from under the credenza by a gecko, or maybe when I was frantically sweeping and vacuuming before my mother arrived 6 hours early and I somehow didnt notice it. But I cant see that I would have not noticed it. I had this house spotless. Anyway, I just dont think there is a lizard in the house anymore or I would have seen it. I'll leave three more mealworms out tonight though, just in case.

@Happynme Your brush with the water moccasin is SCAREY!!! Yikes! You are so lucky it didnt bite you! When I was 10, we lived in NC briefly, I found a baby copperhead that I thought was dead. I put it in my overalls pocket and forgot about it, playing all day. I pulled it out at dinnertime. I remember my mother dropping the dishes. It was definitely alive and thank goodness hadnt bitten me. It was probably quite happy and warm in my pocket.

Here's a pic of things I found in the pool one day last year, all dead unfortunately, wolf spider, scorpion, and camel spider/scorpion:

No, nope, and extra nope. :bag:

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
LOL @Macawnutz and @Flipper I need to be ultra careful about opening doors around here. I tend to get lazy and leave them open if I am doing something quick outside.

I have never seen so much wildlife as I have this summer. I just put in a drip system and a LOT of plants. I am wondering if this is why.

Sheesh! I am just sitting here typing this and I hear a knocking at the glass slider door. I get up and look out and I am looking face to face with a racoon! We looked at each other for awhile. Then he took off. I heard him hit the fence. I hope he wasnt hurt. :(
:loltears: Good grief! Your place is like the super haven for wild life :laughing11:You should charge admission!

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
LOL @Flipper Unfortunately, that might be true!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I going to admit many of you are much braver than I. I can't stand bugs let alone a giant reptile in my house. We recently had a colony of camel crickets move into our basement. I found this article MOST helpful. It also helped to bring a bit of laughter to my dilemma as I was NOT having this.

Getting rid of camel crickets - Colin Purrington
camel crickets are the devil. Anything that will eat it's own legs must be evil, lol. I have yet to see one in CA, thank god. They creep me out so much! Unfortunately there are Jerusalem crickets here in place of the devil camel crickets. Those things are horrifying as well, but at least they don't flail themselves towards you. I'll never forget one place I lived that had CC's everywhere. I was sitting on my couch and saw one move on my jeans out of the corner of my eye. No human has ever leapt out of their pants and taken off running so fast as I did that night, :lol:

@rockybird that sure is a pretty lizard you had in your house:)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
camel crickets are the devil. Anything that will eat it's own legs must be evil, lol. I have yet to see one in CA, thank god. They creep me out so much! Unfortunately there are Jerusalem crickets here in place of the devil camel crickets. Those things are horrifying as well, but at least they don't flail themselves towards you. I'll never forget one place I lived that had CC's everywhere. I was sitting on my couch and saw one move on my jeans out of the corner of my eye. No human has ever leapt out of their pants and taken off running so fast as I did that night, :lol:

They do stick to duct tape. If one gets stuck they all come running to eat each other. I'm never going in my basement again. :arghh: hubby says he has rid them, not double checking!

I had a cicada crawl up my jeans once. I did not notice until I was driving down the highway with my mother. It was nearing my crotch and I almost crashed my husband's new truck. I pulled over, jumped out of the truck and removed my pants in the middle of the highway. :shy: True story. :D

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo

They do stick to duct tape. If one gets stuck they all come running to eat each other. I'm never going in my basement again. :arghh: hubby says he has rid them, not double checking!

I had a cicada crawl up my jeans once. I did not notice until I was driving down the highway with my mother. It was nearing my crotch and I almost crashed my husband's new truck. I pulled over, jumped out of the truck and removed my pants in the middle of the highway. :shy: True story. :D
I have seen that in action:eek::depressed:. Before I moved I put duct tape sticky side up around the bird cages and saw the cannibalism. I thought seeing their kin with their nasty butts stuck to tape might deter them. nope, they just saw a buffet of evil and came running:wtf: One thing that helps is practicing your aim with a heavy book. They seem to not be able to sense it coming fast enough to flail towards you or out of the way.

That was a hilarious story about the cicada! Well, only because nobody got hurt, lol. Those things are freaky looking too! I wonder how many other folks tell that story. "one time on the highway, this lady jumped out of her car and took her pants off!":rofl::D

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda

Someone I know had a orange baboon tarantula sprint up his shirt during feeding time once at a pet store. You don't want to get big by these, you will likely regret it. I'll leave it at that. His response was 'never have you seen someone get half naked in public so fast'. I can't blame him lol.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Macawnutz LOL Very funny!!!! That is a crazy story! I think I would do the same, especially if I didnt know what was crawling up my leg!

I have never heard of camel crickets so I had to look them up. I dont think we have them in my area. They are interesting looking insects!

@MandaExotics Yikes!!! I looked that spider up. They recommend not keeping as pets because of the bad bite! I think that orange color says stay away!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
sorry to derail your thread, but this just seemed a good place to mention something horrific that happened to me recently. sorry for the tmi, also:D I had just sat on the toilet to pee and noticed a very large spider that oddly looked like a huge raisin about 18 inches in front of me.:wideyed: I then noticed two teeny tiny spiders near it and realized the reason it looked like a raisin was because it had babies ALL OVER IT!! :eek::eeeek: Well, as you can imagine, I leapt sideways off the toilet so fast I ended up having to change my pants:lol: I'm still ready to burn the house down. I had the good instinct not to try and smash it, so the babies didn't run for cover, but I am still so creeped out imagining tiny spider babies in every crack of my house. It was a wolf spider, btw. I saw another with babies outside a couple days later. UGH, so scary!:eek:

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
sorry to derail your thread, but this just seemed a good place to mention something horrific that happened to me recently. sorry for the tmi, also:D I had just sat on the toilet to pee and noticed a very large spider that oddly looked like a huge raisin about 18 inches in front of me.:wideyed: I then noticed two teeny tiny spiders near it and realized the reason it looked like a raisin was because it had babies ALL OVER IT!! :eek::eeeek: Well, as you can imagine, I leapt sideways off the toilet so fast I ended up having to change my pants:lol: I'm still ready to burn the house down. I had the good instinct not to try and smash it, so the babies didn't run for cover, but I am still so creeped out imagining tiny spider babies in every crack of my house. It was a wolf spider, btw. I saw another with babies outside a couple days later. UGH, so scary!:eek:
:eeeek::eeeek::eeeek: Did you kill them... Or pee on them? :scared2:

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
UPDATE!!! I CAUGHT HIM!!!!! I am so relieved!!!! I was on the phone with a reptile store. They were suggesting I look around anything warm - entertainment center or refrigerator- when I looked up and saw him looking out the window. He couldnt run very well on the slippery floor, so I covered him with a shirt. He went catatonic, but once outside for minute or two in the heat, he took off. I believe it is a male desert spiny lizard. I think he was about 10-12 inches long.

Look at his pretty back!

he is gorgeous!! thank you for releasing him back

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Awe :hehe:
One of my true spiders has a sac right now. I'm looking forward to being a spider momma and watching the little ones travel on her back. But, I really like spiders.

@rockybird I wouldn't consider an orange baboon tarantula great for a beginner but they're not the most dangerous in the hobby IMHO anyway. It is the only spider when my mother comes over that would freak her out. Keep in mind I've kept Goliath tarantulas, so maybe they're creepier in person than I think. I'm used to arboreal tarantulas. Their speed is almost ridiculous, but they're great to look at. I'm getting back into some terrestrial arachnids and the difference in temperament and speed is night and day for some of them.

Someone I know is doing a breeding project with Jerusalem crickets right now. I prefer roaches myself (not the kind you find infesting homes that can carry diseases).