• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goldfish Fledgling Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I am finding this thread informative and neat! I wish I would've put more research into things when I had my cichlid tank!! :eek:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Marie, I didn't know you were getting a fish tank! I am finding this thread interesting and helpful also as I'd love to get a fish tank. I always have found fish to be very relaxing and calming to me.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I was reading about getting a pleco to help keep barebottom tanks clean till I read they sometimes eat the fish! :( Is it better to get two filters as I read or will positioning the inlet/outlet hoses at opposite ends of the tank be just as good? Or are there other tricks that work instead to buying two filters? I wouldn't mind getting a syphon/Vacuum to use every day also.
I keep a pleco with mine, but she is a rare type that only grows to 2".Most plecos grow to 12"-24", not a good fish for a 55 gal. I also do not keep her for cleanup. I just like her. For cleaning the glass and bottom, I use a type of sponge with a terry outer, that is sold to clean cars. The 405 will be fine with the input and output on opposite ends. The force through the spraybar, should keep detritus swept back into your rocks. Get a brush set to keep your tubing clean, and get an extra impellar shaft and keep it handy, for your filter in case you snap it. I do not use pythons or things like that. I do not believe in them at all. I make my water up in buckets for replacement during water changes. That way you can add the salt, add the dechlor{I use Seachem Prime}, and make sure your temp is correct before adding.
Just go to a home depot or similar, and get a long, clear,{like 7' or so} hose that is 3/4", and use that to siphon.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Here are a couple videos that you should be able to see the input is the spraybar across the top. The output is the green thing on the left. This is a 29 gallon tank with a 2217 Eheim. I also have an airpump with airstone on the back right.
You can also tell that the flow is reduced in the second video vs. the first video. That is when you know the tubing and head of the filter needs cleaning.

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I Googled 'python' and it looks like it's taking the water directly from faucet into the tank. I don't want to do that. I am planning to mix it in buckets first as you said to have it set up right and at proper temp before adding it to the tank. I'll get a tank net to grab any debris between water changes.

Your videos are very helpful, Carole. Thanks. Do you take the fake plants/rocks out and clean them every time you do water changes?

So the spray bar just floats independently on top or does it attach to the top of the tank ( I keep wanting to say cage :lol:)?

I will look around for that car sponge as well. Thanks so much. I am finding I like Koko's Forum the best and very helpful over the others so far. But I'm reading the three of them you suggested. :)

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Bushy nose plecos are the best for slower goldfish. Just make sure you give them lots of hiding places from the goldies, I believe they are nocturnal. Mine really liked the wood half log for hiding. I had an aquaclear on a 40 gallon tank, it was really nice, and easy to clean.

Also, be prepared to cycle for close to a month or so. It takes quite some time to build up the beneficial bacteria.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I Googled 'python' and it looks like it's taking the water directly from faucet into the tank. I don't want to do that. I am planning to mix it in buckets first as you said to have it set up right and at proper temp before adding it to the tank. I'll get a tank net to grab any debris between water changes.
Yes! People do this, then they just add some dechlor! At some point the chlorine or chloramines of the water could be near or harming the fish! Not to mention, how do you dissolve the salt, just toss it in? Yikes...:(
Your videos are very helpful, Carole. Thanks. Do you take the fake plants/rocks out and clean them every time you do water changes?
You are welcome. I do take the plants out each time, I scrub them with a sink type brush, and push the stones around to get everything under them, then replace them where they go. I have taken the larger stones out a couple times and scrubbed them with the brush in the change water, then replace. Remember the stones and rocks do have beneficial bacteria on them, so you don't want to kill it with tapwater, if you can help it.
So the spray bar just floats independently on top or does it attach to the top of the tank ( I keep wanting to say cage :lol:)?

I will look around for that car sponge as well. Thanks so much. I am finding I like Koko's Forum the best and very helpful over the others so far. But I'm reading the three of them you suggested. :)
The spraybar attaches to the back of the tank with suction cups.
Cage...lol..very funny!!:p:laughing12:
You can tell I enjoy talking about my fish and learning the proper care, as much as I do my birds. I like Koko's best too. Each place does have something to offer though....so they are good, even if it's just for reference. And as with birds, there is more than one way to do all of this. This is just what works best for me. I feel strongly about keeping their environment healthy and clean, so they can live a long happy life.;)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Bushy nose plecos are the best for slower goldfish. Just make sure you give them lots of hiding places from the goldies, I believe they are nocturnal. Mine really liked the wood half log for hiding. I had an aquaclear on a 40 gallon tank, it was really nice, and easy to clean.

Also, be prepared to cycle for close to a month or so. It takes quite some time to build up the beneficial bacteria.
Yes, I am prepared to cycle for around a month or till it is ready. :)

How do you prevent the pleco from bothering the GF?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I've read a lot about cleaning and swishing tank parts in old tank water. Am I correct in assuming that means the water you've just siphoned out of the tank and will throw away? Is it good to keep a bucket of 'fresh' water (or however much you need) sitting a week waiting for the next water cleaning so any chemicals dissipate? If so do you add anything to it while it 'cures'? Or is that a bad idea?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
A bushynose plecostomus is an omnivore. Meaning they do not only eat algae. In fact, they prefer meaty preparations, and need driftwood in their diet as well. They actually eat the wood.They should live in a densely planted aquarium. They really to be fair, should live in an environment that encourages the type of algae they need. They come from South America, and can carry parasites. Parasites that your goldfish really should not be exposed to.
Use the sponge for algae removal Marie, and skip another fish that is just going to add more detritus to the tank.
You can also get a Mag-float for quick glass cleaning in between water changes. The tank may experience diatoms in the beginning. This will pass, and the tank will become crystal clear if you follow my recommendations, and are patient. Your tank should not experience a lot of algae issues. Not enough to support any fish that 'needs' algae in their diet. The poor fish would most likely starve, or need supplementation with algae wafers. You will be changing water often, so algae won't be able to get the upper hand. Algae removal manually is always best.
Yes, cleaning things in the change water you just removed, so as not to kill it with tapwater, and lose the beneficial bacteria. Though remember, you are going to have a fluval full of media, so if you see something you want to scrub up good once in awhile in the sink, it won't present a problem. Usually I take the plants to the sink, scrub well, then swish around in a cleaner one of the buckets, then replace.
Most GF keepers use hang on filters. They don't even come close to the amount of media nor the filtering ability of a good canister.
I don't like leaving water for a week, then using it. Plain water sitting around can become not only 'stale', but it can also begin to uptake things from it's environment, like from cooking,dust,smoke,etc. Using the water within 24 hours is best. Use the Seachem Prime to dechlorinate the water and/or remove chloramines if present.
The use of a food grade trash can called a 44 gal. Brute{they are grey}, on a set of wheels{they make wheels for them} can be a great tool for water changes. You can get two, one for making up your water, and one for the removal of old water. I only have one, so I use it for the waste water. Otherwise, Home depot does sell 5 gallon buckets that are ok. I use old salt buckets, from keeping the reef tank. I also use the lids on them, so no dust gets in my water until I am ready to make the change. If you get the brute, they sell lids for them as well. They are very pricey once you get all three parts{the can, the wheels, and lid}

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks Carole, that is VERY helpful. I really like the trash can on wheels which will help my back a lot and I prefer the water only standing overnight rather than a week. And as for the pleco, I agree, I'll stick with cleaning the tank myself. :)

I have to change my tank size. :( My dil has a 50gal tank I was going to use but I found because it was stored in an outside shed for about 4-5 years withstanding severe cold and hot weather the seals may be compromised. I know I can reseal it but it's an ordeal and if not done just right would have to be done again. I don't want that aggravation so will buy a new one. So I'm rethinking the size and may go down to a 30-35 gal tank and get three fish instead of four because it will fit better in my room. :( However, if I come across an amazing deal for a 55 gal I'll probably cave and get it 'cause I really want the bigger one. :lol: But is it still ok to get the same size Fluval filter for the smaller tank since I'm reading more filter is supposed to be better anyway?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Marie, I hate 55's to be honest, they are so narrow. If I was going to do a 55, I would get a 75, same length, but deeper front to back, and slightly taller.If I was going to do a 75, I would do a 90, just taller than the 75!:lol:
A 58 is a gorgeous tank if you can find one. Yes, the more filtration the better, but you don't want to blast them either. There is a right fit for each tank.:)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
So what do you suggest for three GF that is smaller than the 55gal if I have to go that route? I want enough room for when they are mature so they'll be happy and healthy. Would it be better to only have 2 fish in a 30 gal? :(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
2 fish in a 29 is good.
A 29 is 30X12X18
There are tanks such as 40 breeders, wide and low.36X18X16
58 as I mentioned is a real nice tank.
48X13X23
There is a 38 cube, and a 46 corner.
55 is 48X12X21
75 is 48X18X21{approx.}
90 is 48X18X24
Don't get a hex, whatever you do!!:o:
I believe eventually full grown GF will looked cramped in a 29, but it does take time for them to grow!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks so much. I want them to be happy and healthy when mature so will still consider the 55gal. In my case being narrow would fit better in my small room but the wider would be better so I will consider only getting two fish and also look at the 29gal. Bigger than 55 won't work in my room. When I go looking I will measure the exact space first and see what will be the best since I'll need space to move and work around comfortably. So much to think about. :D

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Just think, 1 fish per MINIMUM ten gallons. So A 55 would be suitable for max 4 or 5 fish.

Bushy nose plecos are said to be the most peaceful with gold fish, just give them lots to hide in if you are going to get one. They tend to get scared easily from the goldfish. I'm not sure about parasites, if some one is breeding out of their home I would assume parasites are long gone. I have successfully kept bushy nose plecos with goldfish for long amounts of time.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks so much Leza. Your plecos don't nibble on your goldfish at all? I'd love to see some pics. :)

Wilder

Walking the driveway
I kept a common with my goldfish for several years, but it wasn't to keep the tank clean -- I have to laugh at the very thought, as the darn thing left massive huge strings of poop over everything! And you thought goldfish were dirty...

They coexisted perfectly fine though, even as they both passed 12" in length. :huh:

The bushy (or bristlenose) stay small; I have a "rare" variety in my planted tank, and he leaves the fish alone. He also does not leave unsightly poop everywhere. I should note that I didn't get him to clean the tank, and that they do require supplemental feeding as any algae in the tank won't be enough to keep them alive. They also do not eat waste. Algae wafers, blanched zucchini and lettuce greens are very much liked, however. :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ahhh...they're from the catfish family? I didn't know that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.