• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goldfish Fledgling Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Here is the hood I bought for several reasons~
It's recessed, so it fits down snug into the lip of the tank.
It has a glass shield{vs plastic} where the light fixture sits.
The light is separate, therefore it's removable.
Perfecto Fluorescent Recessed Full Hood Black Aquarium Light Fixtures
Amazon.com: Fluorescent Recessed Full Aquarium Hood, 30" Black: Everything Else
That's perfect, Carole! I didn't know what it was called so couldn't find it. Thank you so much!

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Yay we will be having new fishies joining AA :) Congrats!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The reason I am suggesting two items{in case you are wondering} is:
The T-5 fixture is what really brings the colors out of the fish. And the plus side is if you decide to try live plants, you have a great light for it. The florescent light that comes with those hoods is terrible. But,you want to be able to keep your fish from jumping out, and they do not make a T-5 fixture that completely covers the aquarium in and of itself. They generally sit on legs, or extensions.
I keep the feeder door on mine open in the summertime. A ceiling fan is above. This keeps the tank a bit cooler. I use a piece that I cut, of the white plastic"egg crate" ceiling diffuser, to cover the opening.
A small personal fan is another way to cool your tank if needed.
In an emergency{A/C breaks, power out, etc..}, ice can be placed in heavy large ziplocks.
The light faces downward into the tank, and will not harm your bird. In fact, I use a plant bulb over Gryphon, per Susanne's recommendation.:)

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Very informative thread..Carole you know your stuff! If my hubby ever has a question about ours I will send him here!:D
Thanks Pat. I don't know how many hundred hours I have studied keeping fish, fish aquariums, salt and fresh, but it's a lot. As much or maybe more than I have read about keeping birds.:p

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Yes, Carole, I remember you telling me about the 'pink' light making the fishes colors pop. I really like that so we will be able to appreciate them fully. Do both bulbs need to be on if it gets too hot in the summer?

Thanks for the tip about keeping the feeder door open and protecting the opening. A friend, years ago, had a fish jump out of the door so I will want to avoid that.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Yay we will be having new fishies joining AA :) Congrats!
Thanks Mariam, I am so excited! Tomorrow my dil and I start visiting the local fish stores to do some comparison shopping. The sooner I get the tank set up and cycled the sooner I can bring some fishies home! There's so much to learn. The tank will be right across from Ruby's cage so I'm curious to see how she reacts. I hope she'll enjoy watching them. Fortunately there is one very reputable store where I would buy fish from but all the equipment I'll search for the best prices and compare it all to Amazon Plus. .:D

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Do both bulbs need to be on if it gets too hot in the summer?

Thanks for the tip about keeping the feeder door open and protecting the opening. A friend, years ago, had a fish jump out of the door so I will want to avoid that.
Both bulbs burn off one ballast. It's on or off. there's nothing wrong with keeping the light off in the heat of the day. heck, you could switch them up and just burn it a few hours in the evening if you like. I have mine on a timer. They come on about 7:30 a.m., and go off about 4:30 p.m.
here are some pics that show the difference a light can make.
Tank with white lighting

this is when I first got them..look at those cute faces..:lol:

Tank with pink lighting

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Wow, I like that! Big difference! They are so adorable, Carole. :heart:

iluvsunconure

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raymond :]
Woah............I learned a lot from this thread! Thanks Carole!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
She is the best! :D I've been doing a lot of research on three fish enthusiast sites (that Carole recommended) but it has really helped having her make it all make sense to me. :hug8:

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
You are all welcome. I really enjoy it.:) I can't wait to see what fish you pick!!:dancing:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hey, I thought of something that might help you, since you said your back could be a problem. I was just doing a water change on the goldies and thought of this-maybe watch your local CL or similar, for someone taking down a reef tank. You are looking for an internal pump called a mag 7,mag 9.5, or mag 12. As long as it runs, that's all you need. During your water change, after you syphon the tank and are ready with your brute of fresh water to go into the tank- you attach the same hose you were using to syphon, to the end of the mag pump, drop it into the fresh water, hold the opposite end in the tank, then plug it in. This will pump the water from the brute into your tank with ease. No bailing, or lifting.:)
These prices are high, if you want a new one..look around or have your LFS order you one-
mag 12
Mag Drive 12 Water Pump - AquaCave
mag 9.5
Mag Drive 9.5 Water Pump - AquaCave
mag 7
Mag Drive 7 Water Pump - AquaCave
This could also be used to heat the water in the winter, when it's coming out of the tap super cold. Just drop a floaty thermometer in, and watch the temp. These internal pumps heat water well.

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That will definitely be something to consider if I can't keep up with the lifting. Thanks.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Had fun reading this whole thread. Very informative. Now I want to go out and get a tank again :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Carole, what kinds of meds should I have on hand when I bring my babies home? Should I get meds for individual problems or is there something that covers an assortment of illnesses that is preferred?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Food!
Hellllpppppp!!!!!
I am so frustrated. I can't find any basic reliable guide to what is best to feed GF and why. No matter what I read about any type of food I then find someone who says it's not good. Even fresh food. I read don't use anything that floats on top of the tank because the gf will gulp air. Then I read flakes are good. Everything contradicts everything else. Yes to gel/no to gel, yes to pellets/no to pellets. Yes to soak flakes/no to soak flakes. Peas once a week/feed only when sick. My head is spinning and I'm ready to cry. I've been researching for hours and have gotten nowhere. :sad4:

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks for the phone call, Carole. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.