• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goldfish Fledgling Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ok, I'm ready to get set up with a goldie fish tank. I know absolutely nothing so need all the help I can get. I've started researching so my first questions are what is the best fish forum to join, are glass tanks still superior to acrylic, do I need live plants in the tank? For 4 fish is a 50 gal tank big enough? I would like to have a Black Moor, Comet, Common and Fantail if they are compatible. However I read the Black Moor are docile and may be bullied? Is it better to stick with one kind only? I can only fit one tank so would like more than one type of goldfish if possible.

I'm researching types of filters, lighting, etc and my head is already spinning so any suggestions on what is considered the best way to go will be greatly appreciated.
Now I'm going to pull up all the posts on goldfish...:D

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ohhhh....the Oranda!! :heart:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
the only thing I know is to check the ph balance daily:hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The three best forums
Kokos Goldfish Forum
The Goldfish and Aquarium Board ? Index page
Site for Goldfish Keepers - Powered by vBulletin

The tank size is ok, but the fish choice is not. Commons & comets get wayyy too big for most tanks. Stick with the fancys. A couple moors, and a couple Orandas or similar would be good. The most important thing is keeping the tank clean. Goldfish should have a 10X turnover per hour. So for a 50 gallon tank, you need at least a 500 GPH filter. Learn to siphon out detritus manually. T-5 lighting will really make their colors pop. Get a fixture with a pink plant bulb. It really accentuates their color. Plants are ok if you want to go that route, but that's a whole other set of a learning curve. Plus most plants will be eaten by GF. Anubias are good choices, they won't eat them. But, dying leaves have to be removed often, as this will add to the nutrient problem. Get used to weekly water changes.PH will drop as nitrates rise. Read about water chemistry, and cycling a tank. You will need decent test kits for Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH, GH, and KH. API test kits are good. Do not get test strip type kits, they are useless. I am a bit tired right now, but will post more as I think of it. I am here for you! Welcome to the wonderful world of goldfish!:)

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thank you so much Carole. Now I have a good place to start. I found GAB yesterday and was reading a lot there. Will look up the others you linked to today. :) :hug8:

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I like GAB, but they recently changed their format, and I am not crazy about it. Here is another huge fish site...not particularly just GF, but all around long time fish keepers & articles.
http://www.fishlore.com/

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Marie good luck on your new aquarium. I cant wait to see pictures. Carole knows a lot about fish keeping!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Marie good luck on your new aquarium. I cant wait to see pictures. Carole knows a lot about fish keeping!
Thanks Pat, I am so excited!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
We have a saltwater and freshwater tank but it is my husbands hobby. I used to have aquariums though through the years. I love having aquariums in the house, they are very nice to watch. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
:faint: What did you just say, Carole??? Only kidding, I will do my research. Sooooo much to learn but I am looking forward to it. :D

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hey! I found you and made you a friend on all three sites.:) I meant to say, remember moors may not retain the black color. They may turn orange, or even white. With Orandas-avoid short bodied fish. Choose a longer bodied fish. Once you get through reading about cycling and setting up your tank, I can show you some sites that have fish for sale if you want higher quality fish. Remember to also read about treating your new fish, and what meds to have on hand. Store bought fish particularly, should be treated for flukes and internal parasites.
Plan for an emergency. Get yourself an emergency air pump that is battery driven, with an airstone. This is for power outages, and will see your fish through, so they have enough oxygen. Goldfish need high oxygen. The fancys prefer warmer temps than the commons. When it is cold, or cooler, I keep mine at 76F. Their tank has gotten as warm as 78F, without issue.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks Carole, I will go find you. I will make sure to get an emergency air pump. My dil has a 55gal tank she had used for a Cichlid she had years ago. It had a small leak they patched with silicone which solved the problem and never leaked again. Do you think it's safe to use once we take it out of storage and check it over? Since you're not supposed to use soap what would I clean it with? Would vinegar work?
Also I think I have decided to get the Hagen Fluval 405 Canister filter. I want to keep the bottom free of fish tank gravel except for some big rocks. I like the look of the Rena Air Pumps. Do they float up if not covered and are they good?

I've changed my mind (I think) about the Moors and am now considering Telescopes (Butterfly) and Orandas (Red). What are your feelings about those?

There is a high quality fish store 30 min away that has beautiful fish that always look very healthy that I want to check out and research them. I won't get my equipment there if at all possible because they are high priced and there are a lot of fish stores I can choose from around here but they are the only place I would buy fish from if I can find good reviews on them.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The 55 is fine, as long as you leak test it. Fill, let sit. Vinegar and rinse is a good cleaner, or mild bleach, rinse, rinse, rinse.
Telescopes and moors are basically the same fish. You may see them referred to as other names too. Butterfly, broadtail{mr magu} refers to the tail size and shape.Telescope refers to the protruding eyes. Most people call fish 'moors' in the black stage. Black is an unstable color in GF, and unless kept outside in the sun, they usually lose the black. Here is where I got Matsui & Mr. Magu- it will teach you the difference, somewhat.
direct from Hawaii, Rain Garden goldfish and flowers
I am happy you are going barebottom. It is SO much easier to keep it clean. Get a long length of airline tubing to siphon with. The butterflies{if you can find them..I did see some recently on a site} are gorgeous, and well you know I love Orandas. Like puppies with fins.:D
Make sure you get a good solid stand. Remember this tank will weigh nearly 500 lbs, possibly more.

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks so much for the link. I am trying to find as much info on the fish so I'll make the best choice for me. I didn't know the butterflies were hard to find. :( I've seen a lot of Youtube videos of people petting their Orandas. :heart: I thought touching them was bad for their slime coat and could get them sick? One guy was really rubbing his Oranda and although it was adorable it really raised a lot of red flags in me because of what I've been researching.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yes, we have oils on our hands, not good for the fish. If you must, in case of emergency or wen repair, use gloves. The wen on the oranda is the reason it's important to buy from good stock, as well as parasites and other reasons. The wen can overgrow the face and eyes, then expensive surgery is needed.:eek:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
..The wen can overgrow the face and eyes, then expensive surgery is needed.:eek:
Before I was researching I saw many pics of fish with overgrown wen and thought they were supposed to look like that and never thought they were pretty fish. Now that I know what they should look like I think they are adorable.:heart:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
You pretty much get low quality stock from Petco's and similar. Overbreeding, inbreeding, etc, gets undesired traits. Just like with birds!:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I was reading about getting a pleco to help keep barebottom tanks clean till I read they sometimes eat the fish! :( Is it better to get two filters as I read or will positioning the inlet/outlet hoses at opposite ends of the tank be just as good? Or are there other tricks that work instead to buying two filters? I wouldn't mind getting a syphon/Vacuum to use every day also.

Status
Not open for further replies.