• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Goldfish Fledgling Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Fascinating! Thanks for the info. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Wilder

Walking the driveway

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Sadly I took my tank apart in anticipation of moving into an apartment this summer. Also my pleco died during a 2 day power outage last winter. :( The tank got too cold, but all the goldies survived.

The bushy nose that I had(def. a fan of blanched zucc.):

The crew I had:

My tank now (downsized to a 3 gallon):

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
He's a longfin L144 -- they're the blue-eyed yellow ones. Ancistrus sp. (4) • Loricariidae • Cat-eLog • PlanetCatfish

I'll have to get a recent picture of him; he's stunning now that he's all grown up and has his bristles. We call him Muppet, because don't they just look like one? :D
Very cool! They do look like a muppet!:D

My tank now (downsized to a 3 gallon):
I am sorry you lost your pleco.:( I really like your new tank. The betta is awesome!:cool:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Leza, I'm so sorry to hear you lost your pleco. Your fish are beautiful! I can't wait to get mine!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm getting confused as to what is the best medium for the canister filter. I am definitely getting the ceramic rings but then I'm at a loss for what else and how much. I had read a few times that pea-size lava rock is very good. Also does the filter give instuctions on what to put where?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Whew, that's awesome! One less thing to worry about till what I'm learning. :D

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
More silly questions:
I will have to get q 29gal tank.
~I see different sizes of Seachem Prime. How much will I need especially while cycling the tank? Is a 250ml bottle too little, too much to start?

~ Regarding tanks, is it better to get one with clear edges or with the black strips on the edges? Do they give more support?

~ Tank light lids? Any brands better than others? The Sunglo Pink Tube bulb/Hagen is sold separate? Also Ruby will be in the same room so any restrictions on the type of bulb for her safety?

Last edited:

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
thanks guys :hug8:

when we have more space I am definitely doing a goldie tank again! They are like puppies, they are so animated and rewarding.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
More silly questions:
I will have to get q 29gal tank.
~I see different sizes of Seachem Prime. How much will I need especially while cycling the tank? Is a 250ml bottle too little, too much to start?

~ Regarding tanks, is it better to get one with clear edges or with the black strips on the edges? Do they give more support?

~ Tank light lids? Any brands better than others? The Sunglo Pink Tube bulb/Hagen is sold separate? Also Ruby will be in the same room so any restrictions on the type of bulb for her safety?
Are you asking if you need a quarantine tank? The answer is, only if a fish that you get is sick, or if you plan on additional fish after getting the initial fish. A 10 or 20 gal can be quickly set up for this purpose if needed.
Get the 250 ml, you will eventually use it all. I got the bigger jug shape, and fill my smaller bottle with it. I do think the Aqueon tanks are well made. They come in black accent or oak trim. Oceanic makes wonderful tanks, and sometimes they are rimless. If you want to go all out and get a 125 rimless, starfire front Oceanic, I will be totally jealous.:D
If you are getting a 29 gallon as your display, I can find you a nice fitting hood with a light, if you like. I have a regular hood, but took the standard lights down and use T-5's because the pink colored bulbs{plant bulbs} make the fish's colors pop!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Marie, I looked and my 'small' bottle of Prime is 500 Ml.. the 250 is super small!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Are you asking if you need a quarantine tank? The answer is, only if a fish that you get is sick, or if you plan on additional fish after getting the initial fish. A 10 or 20 gal can be quickly set up for this purpose if needed.
Get the 250 ml, you will eventually use it all. I got the bigger jug shape, and fill my smaller bottle with it. I do think the Aqueon tanks are well made. They come in black accent or oak trim. Oceanic makes wonderful tanks, and sometimes they are rimless. If you want to go all out and get a 125 rimless, starfire front Oceanic, I will be totally jealous.:D
If you are getting a 29 gallon as your display, I can find you a nice fitting hood with a light, if you like. I have a regular hood, but took the standard lights down and use T-5's because the pink colored bulbs{plant bulbs} make the fish's colors pop!
No, not a Q-tank. That was a typo (although I will get one soon to have it available). :) I want to know if the tanks with the side strips (they must be what you're referring to as accent trim) are any more stable than the ones without the trim when I go to choose my 29gal tank? I think the clear ones are prettier since the trim won't obscure the view of the fish. I will take a look at the Aqueon and the Oceanic to start and take a peek at the Starfire even though I have a feeling it a real expensive one. Thanks.

I'll get the bigger bottle of the Prime. :D

Yes, please let me know about a good hood with pink light. I'm not finding anything with the good enough descriptions and I can't find the pink light. :confused: And I won't have to worry about Ruby and the light?

Also the Fluval 405 is still a good choice for a 29gal tank since I keep reading the more filtration the better? I was encouraged to get the AquaClear 70 HOB but I really prefer a canister. I think they're neater and easier to clean even though it's a lot more expensive...Just my preference. There are a lot of LFS I can comparison shop at and compare to Amazon Prime prices.

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ohhhh...the starfire is amazing! I'm drooling!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Yes, starfire glass means lower iron content. So less 'green' look, sparkling clear! I think some have three sides starfire, with the back being normal.
The aqueon tanks have top and bottom trim, none on the sides. I just bought a cheap hood for a 29 gal, removed the light{it's two pieces} and replaced it with a Coralife dual strip 30" T-5 fixture. I bought the extra bulb and replaced the daylight bulb with a second pink bulb. Hang on, I'll get some links for you.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Very informative thread..Carole you know your stuff! If my hubby ever has a question about ours I will send him here!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.