• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Going away for 2 weeks

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
@Clairecanary15 thank you for the feather chart! :D he hasn't dropped any since I came back, but upon closer look, some of his feathers look pretty worn out. Im just trying to provide him the comfortable conditions he'll need once he starts dropping more.

He's as friendly and playful as ever :heart: he jumps on to my head instantly now too ahah
20180813_164535.jpg
20180815_085515.jpg

As for my drawings, I managed to make several drawings before things got too hectic. I like to use ink, and while I usually use a sable brush and sumi ink at home, I use a pocket brushpen when I travel.
Here are some of em :):
philippines - Google Drive

Attachments

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Hi

Wow your drawings are brilliant. You are quite the artist. I love the way you captured the feel of where you were. Are you studying art? Have you drawn Peeps?

Willow dropped a wing feather and is somewhat quieter. Im providing small amounts of protein to help. Im now waiting like you. I was amazed to see the different feathers in one wing in that picture blimey. These canaries do go through it.

I love the pic of Peeps with a cheeky bit of tissue..caught in the act lol

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Hi

Wow your drawings are brilliant. You are quite the artist. I love the way you captured the feel of where you were. Are you studying art? Have you drawn Peeps?

Willow dropped a wing feather and is somewhat quieter. Im providing small amounts of protein to help. Im now waiting like you. I was amazed to see the different feathers in one wing in that picture blimey. These canaries do go through it.

I love the pic of Peeps with a cheeky bit of tissue..caught in the act lol
Good luck to Willow as well, aaand now we wait :)
The anatomy of birds is so intricate, it's amazing :heart: I was watching Peeps stretch out his wings yesterday, and noticed 2 feathers that are growing out---mostly like they replacements for the ones that fell previously. He's so pretty :)

And thank you! I'm glad you think that about them, I figured it would be cool to make a visual journal of my trip :) I have a degree in art but I'm pursuing accounting as well. I'm still very much in touch with my professors and artist friends, and I make art as a sideline. Yes, I've drawn Peeps, and I've put him in other mediums as well!!
IMG_20170823_011954_968.jpg
IMG_20180602_012123_490.jpg
IMG_20180622_211404_074.jpg
IMG_20180622_211404_073.jpg
IMG_20180520_212843_174.jpg
IMG_20180405_013450_853.jpg
He's my lil golden muse when he's not distracting me too much :laughing2:
I recently got into cross-stitching and embroidery so I'm in the process of improving my skills, I plan to make a bunch Peep patches for practice!

Attachments

Last edited:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Good luck to Willow as well, aaand now we wait :)
The anatomy of birds is so intricate, it's amazing :heart: I was watching Peeps stretch out his wings yesterday, and noticed 2 feathers that are growing out---mostly like they replacements for the ones that fell previously. He's so pretty :)

And thank you! I'm glad you think that about them, I figured it would be cool to make a visual journal of my trip :) I have a degree in art but I'm pursuing accounting as well. I'm still very much in touch with my professors and artist friends, and I make art as a sideline. Yes, I've drawn Peeps, and I've put him in other mediums as well!!
View attachment 284064
View attachment 284065
View attachment 284067
View attachment 284068
View attachment 284069
View attachment 284070
He's my lil golden muse when he's not distracting me too much :laughing2:
I recently got into cross-stitching and embroidery so I'm in the process of improving my skills, I plan to make a bunch Peep patches for practice!

Look at all the pretty Peeps, beautiful!

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Your very creative. All your pieces are beautiful. You have captured Peeps perfectly. I used too cross stitch many moons ago lol but my eyes arent as good now to see. I was never any good at tapestry. I do knit. Is your Peeps knitted? I wouldnt know where to begin knitting my canaries without a pattern lol the kids would love it though..22 little knitted copies arr. Well done you. Would love to see more when you create another piece.

I have sold the last of my youngsters. Very sad to see them go but the last man has an aviary and is as daft as me spoiling his birds so all is good. Its very calm again now.

Sherbet and Charlie are doing fantastically with their flying and confidence. They were both sat on my husbands laptop being nosey yesterday and then my sons arr.

Are you enjoying your accounting? It will certainly pay the bills hey and let you carry on with your excellent hobbies. I ran my own gardening business before children and marriage and done my own books. It is quite a subject to undertake but worth it.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
I hope they settle into their new homes smoothly. It sounds great that their new human has an aviary, they will have plenty of space to grow and fly in! :) In instances like these when you send your youngsters off, do their new parents ever update you on how they are doing?

So great to hear about Sherbet and Charlie! It sounds like they've finally acclimated to their new home, I bet they will love it when they finally meet the other birds (if they haven't already)! Since they are both girls, do they get along? Also, do they poop on your husband's and son's laptops? :laughing2:

And thank you! I like making things with my hands, I'm currently knitting a hufflepuff scarf :) it's not a bird scarf, but you just gave me an idea about my next project! I don't usually follow patterns (especially when I'm crocheting and knitting), so I tend to come up with my own designs. I have a habit of spacing out so I lose count quite often ahahah 22 birds is a lot! But hey, if you ever change your mind, update us!

Accounting is okay, I chose it for that exact reason ahah! Whoa, you wrote books?? That sounds like my goal before starting my oen family :) (but with comics of course!).

On a sidenote, Peeps dropped another feather! How's Willow doing?
20180819_172508.jpg

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Hi

We are very similar in the creative way..always creating something. Knitting is my evening thing now when the nights get darker. Im using the camara alot at the moment on the birds. Ive always sewn. .clothing, cuddly toys and soft furnishings.

I found doing my own accounting... 'balancing the books' such a big responsibility and didnt miss it when I had my 1st child. I did think at one point I should pursue it as I do have the initial understanding but life has moved on lol.

Charlie is a boy and sherbet is a girl..im hoping for pretty chicks next year. If they dont get on then aherbet will go in the aviary. Charlie cant go in the aviary yet..got 3 boys in there at the mo who get along so it would disrupt the calm..think he will stay in house.

Willow hasnt lost any more feathers as i know of..will maybe find some when I tidy him out tomorrow. He cheeps very sadly at the mo and then he seems a bit happier. He was even snuggled up with Toffee his hen the other day...he woke and had that bed face lol

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Ah woops! Sorry about that! I don't know how I thought Charlie was a girl ahahah i feel embarrassed woops :shy:
I hope he and Sherbet are doing well!

Sewing is fun, thought I've only done the embroidery and mending kind. I haven't made clothes..... yet :D and woohoo pls share photos once in a while! :D

Bookkeeping is alright, I do it for phr family business. I use a software for that so it's not as daunting. I let the local firm do our taxes though, I'm still a bit clueless on that one!

Peeps is dropping them but not everyday, so far I've found a total of 6 feathers. One was too chewed up, and the other had kind of disintegrated so I didn't keep them.
20180821_180303.jpg
These are the most recent ones from 2 days ago.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Its ok no need to be embarrassed. ..its confusing with my 22 birds..remarkable that I know who is who.

Im always making..or should I say creating something..the camera is my thing at the moment. I am learning to take photos of the birds in flight or in action..no easy task..wire gets in the way. I have attached a few beginners shots.

Will be knitting more during the winter. I knit babies cardigans and my own I wear. I dont know about you but there are not enough days in the week for me..so many plans. I have uploaded a collage of my birds. .took a while cutting them all out on the laptop.

Willow is very slow with his feather moult. He is fed up..keeps snugglig up to Toffee. He is such a baby. Picture of Willow attached and his tiny feather from yesterday.

Its a very good basis doing the accounts for your family. You will have a very good understanding and a realistic perspective of it. Definitely a worth while subject to pursue.

IMG_2469.JPG snowflake a.png Collage cut out.png 20180824_095259.jpg 20180824_095605.jpg

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
That little feather from Willow is so precious! I hope his molt goes smoothly, he's not alone either, Peeps seems to ne taking his time too ahaha
It's so nice to see a pic of all of them! They are so cute :D that layout would make a pretty cool crossstitch pattern too! I love how you have so many shades of birds ahah what a lovely flock :loveshower:

I agree, there's never enough time. And when there is, it's when you really need a break from everything that you do and still want to do ahaha! I do my knitting at bedtime for about 30 minutes, or an hour if I finish on time. So i only manage to do 3-5 lines per night. I'm not a fast knitter yet!

Those midflight photos look cool :D and I love the lil bird in the bottom corner of the 1st photo. It's either lemon, buffy, princess, flame, or honey lol

Serin

My bird Milo is full on in the midst of the molt and feeling pretty blah I think. He just wants to sit and watch things go by. Every time he fluffs is feathers two or three fall out. He lost four wing feathers this morning so his flight is a bit wonky. Every evening it looks like another orange canary exploded on the floor when i sweep! But once it gets this bad, it means he's halfway through. He should be back to himself by October.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
My bird Milo is full on in the midst of the molt and feeling pretty blah I think. He just wants to sit and watch things go by. Every time he fluffs is feathers two or three fall out. He lost four wing feathers this morning so his flight is a bit wonky. Every evening it looks like another orange canary exploded on the floor when i sweep! But once it gets this bad, it means he's halfway through. He should be back to himself by October.
I hope Milo is faring well :) it's good to hear he's halfway through his molt though. It helps to know he's almost there, and I will keep that in mind when Peeps goes through it too!
Do you collect the feathers?
It's so weird when their wings are dropping and growing new feathers. They look all raggedy! I remember shortening Peeps's out time when that happened, I was worried that he'd injure himself. But honestly, I'm looking forward to him dropping more feathers, so we don't have to worry about him over the winter like last year. I'm not looking forward to the uncharacteristic silence though!

Serin

I do have a jar of saved feathers, from a lot of my past and present birds, and have a couple orange ones from Milo in there but I toss most of them out. The society finches like to take his wing feathers and put them in their nest though.

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
A lovely idea cross stitching the collage of my birds..really would know how..would need a pattern. Certainly would make a good cross stitch..what an achievement it would be.

Im a steady knitter..not overly quick but ok. I have found I knit quicker to music..I have my radio on alot and it plays a mix of old and new releases. I think the beat helps with the knitting rhythem lol.

The bird you like in the picture is Honey ..it is lemon who is flying. Honey is a boy and lemon is a girl. Honey lands on me quite frequently. The pair are very friendly and like to have a conversation with me..so cute and round

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Honey and Lemon are ADORABLE :heart:
Looking forward to more photos in rje near future! :D (and same with the cross stitch if you ever come up with a pattern ;))