• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Going away for 2 weeks

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Yes your right there. When I saw the pins it was a relief to see most of them are near the end of it.

Hope Peeps is doing ok. Not long before you see him again. He will be all excited when he is flying around his room again.

Im off on holiday in 2 days and sadly no wifi will be available grrr. Ive made a list/diary for my mum. She is having instructions today with a shopping list for fresh food. I think she is nervous...quite a responsibility looking after 27 birds. Was your mum and brother nervous? Im feeling anxious now.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Yes your right there. When I saw the pins it was a relief to see most of them are near the end of it.

Hope Peeps is doing ok. Not long before you see him again. He will be all excited when he is flying around his room again.

Im off on holiday in 2 days and sadly no wifi will be available grrr. Ive made a list/diary for my mum. She is having instructions today with a shopping list for fresh food. I think she is nervous...quite a responsibility looking after 27 birds. Was your mum and brother nervous? Im feeling anxious now.
I hope the weather has let up a bit for you in the UK, so you could comfortably enjoy the rest of your holiday! You get to see all 27 or your feathered kids soon! ...Come to think of it, I don't think I ever read you had that many. What a flock!

I think Peeps is doing okay. I didn't get to ask my brothers today since I wasn't home most of the day, D: but I bet he's alright. I get back in the 8th, so i have less than a week left.

Personally, I would be a bit nervous too if I had to look after 27 birds, but that will only motivate me to try harder. :) So I'm pretty sure your mom is doing well, especially since you left instructions--which I bet were detailed too lol. Instructions always help, so I bet all is well. And imagine, Jelly Bean and the others will welcome you with new feathers! That's certainly something to look forward to :)

My mom isn't very into pets, so it was my brothers who looked after Peeps. To be honest with you, I think I was more anxious than they were. But I think it did help that I also left instructions. I went shopping for fresh veggies before i left, and wrote several pages from morning, bathing, and cleaning routines, to lists of veggies and fruits he can eat and how I prepare them. I ought to share pics of them when I get back for the fun of it lol

I have no update photo or video for today, but here's a picture of one of Peeps's signature expressions lol he's so cute~
received_2040353646280990.jpeg

Last edited:

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
A very cute signature indeed ..love him.

Yes 27..22 are mine and some of which are this years hen juveniles which Im keeping..and 5 are young cockbirds to sell from this year. I could talk about them all day but dont want to be rude and ramble on on your post.

I asked my mum if she'd look after my birds if we went on holiday before I proceeded even rebuilding the avairy so im lucky. She loves the birds but worried one may fly out. Ive got easy hatches and sliding doors which will make it easy for her. I must point out the net lol just in case. My birds are not sure of anyone except me and the husband so I imagine they will all watch from afar.

Good point about their new feathers. .will be eager to see them again.

I hope your time has flown..not long to go. Peeps is gonna be so happy to see you soon.. lots of fuss and treats heading his way

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
A very cute signature indeed ..love him.

Yes 27..22 are mine and some of which are this years hen juveniles which Im keeping..and 5 are young cockbirds to sell from this year. I could talk about them all day but dont want to be rude and ramble on on your post.

I asked my mum if she'd look after my birds if we went on holiday before I proceeded even rebuilding the avairy so im lucky. She loves the birds but worried one may fly out. Ive got easy hatches and sliding doors which will make it easy for her. I must point out the net lol just in case. My birds are not sure of anyone except me and the husband so I imagine they will all watch from afar.

Good point about their new feathers. .will be eager to see them again.

I hope your time has flown..not long to go. Peeps is gonna be so happy to see you soon.. lots of fuss and treats heading his way
I'm always happy to hear about your lil birds !:) I can talk about Peeps so much, so I can only imagine how it is for other people with multiple birds ahaha~ :D

It's awesome that your mom loves your birds, and it really seems like you've prepared your aviary well, so i think it's safe to say that all is well. I hope you enjoy your the rest of your holiday! I bet your babies will be so happy when you come home. :D

Time has been flying since we came here for business and have been accomplishing a lot. We're about 90% done. Time flies when you have a deadline lol we've been fortunate to fit family in between :)

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Wow you have done well..business and pleasure. I bet it has gone quick. Its good your nearly 90% done so you will be able to enjoy the rest of your holiday and will have lots to tell Peeps arr..

I havent gone yet we go in 2 days..so you get back while we are away. My mum has just had her instructions. .I gave her the printout of instructions lol and the shopping list. I actually got her feeding one area because she is a worrier and now she knows what to expect.

3 of my canaries are new my avairy looked a bit sparse as half are now in the bird room. So i took myself to a local bird auction and got 3 hens; 2 for the aviary and 1 to go with my Charlie bless him. I feel like I am rescuing them when I go and have a look. No one looks after them like we do on here hey

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Wow you have done well..business and pleasure. I bet it has gone quick. Its good your nearly 90% done so you will be able to enjoy the rest of your holiday and will have lots to tell Peeps arr..

I havent gone yet we go in 2 days..so you get back while we are away. My mum has just had her instructions. .I gave her the printout of instructions lol and the shopping list. I actually got her feeding one area because she is a worrier and now she knows what to expect.

3 of my canaries are new my avairy looked a bit sparse as half are now in the bird room. So i took myself to a local bird auction and got 3 hens; 2 for the aviary and 1 to go with my Charlie bless him. I feel like I am rescuing them when I go and have a look. No one looks after them like we do on here hey
Yeah we've done most of our itinerary, and now we're just doing extra work that has been added on when we arrived in the country. It's going too fast now, I'm wondering if we have enough days to accomplisn it haha

And AW It's great to hear you got them! Birds always look so cramped and paniced in auctions because the environment is the exact opposite of what they need. And the cages burrr :( I know it's temporary but still, Now, they are in a nice peaceful home with you! :)

Isn't it just great that they can follow routines? It makes it easier for even temporary caretakers--assuming they are informed lol

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Thank you @SquawksNibbles , he's so precious! :)
My brothers are awesome, and and I'm bringinf them lots of souvenirs and snaks as thanks ahah~ I'm also very glad Snapchat and Facebook messenger exist. They really make video comminication so easy, and I would recomment them to any bird owner who doesn't already use them!

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Hi

Im sure you will get your work all done..deadlines hey they are a nuisance. As long as you can relax in between in a nice setting then it will make up for it.

Yes I dont like the whole concept of bird auctions but when I need a new blood line I tolerate it. I see canaries with dirty tails which is upsetting because their conditions are inadequate by the seller..unclean and probably cramped. However..I can tell that the majority are looked after and the birds are clean, tidy and gorgeous. I was eyeing up some Harlequin canaries last time..beautiful they were and well looked after. I behaved and only come away with what I went for.

Hope Peeps is doing ok? Your quite right too FB/messenger makes communicating a lot easier too.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Hello @Clairecanary15 !

Based on the last bird show I've been to, that seems to be how it is--that most birds looked well, but unfortunately the ones that left the lasting impressions were the cramped unclean birds (mostly finches :sad4:). There were several vendors that had their cage floor covered with waste, feed, and hulls; while and the poor birds were huddled together in one corner of the cage. It was infuriating to see, and I wish I could just take them all!!!

It does bring some relief that the shows don't last the whole day, and perhaps the birds get to be in spaceous aviaries or cages outside of shows.

I honestly can't judge you (i hope it didn't came off that way). You have to get new birds to ensure the health of your current and future birds. Though it must be a real struggle to not want to get all the birds if you could. I know I had a hard time leaving the show because I just wanted to keep looking at A L L the birds!

Peeps seems to be having a great time not having me come after him whenever he gets his lil beak on some TP :laughin:he's so heckin cute!!!

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Hi

Oh no you didnt come across judgey at all . It is hard and like you say its hard to come away without all the birds at an auction. Ive only been twice. Despite the tug on the heart strings, seeing the different types of canaries is very interesting. Where I go they always have the different finches too. I have to say one of the breeders is an inspiration. .just wish the other one or two took note. The roomy showcases are immaculate. .a scenery painting inside and his birds are beautiful.

Seeing Peeps playing with the tissue made me smile. He is having a great time. I bet you are counting the days to seeing him..I will be.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:laugh: Peeps with the toilet paper is so cute!

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
@Clairecanary15 sorry for taking so long to reply, I've been trying to readjust since it feels like I had just adjusted to Philippine time a couple of days before going back! :confused:

I wish there are more breeders in my local show like the one you mentioned. The ones from the last auction/birds show i went to had crammed spaces! Your experience sounds a lot better for both the people and birds lol

Peepa tripping on TP was just tje cutest thing ever :laughin:

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
So I'm finally back :)
My brothers took great care of Peeps, they were amazing :heart:
My brother was so amazed of how tamed Peeps was. Apparently, he would just hang around him and sit on his laptop. He even flew to my Aunt, who he has never met before, several times--probably trying to get to her phone ahaha!

Peeps seems to be doing well. He's active and loud--just lile how I left him, but he has his quiet moments.

My brother gave me two flight(?) feathers that seem to have dropped before I came home--1st was found about a week after i left, 2nd on dropped a couple of days before I came back. Is this the big sign that he's molting!?!? I haven't seen him drop any sicne I came back though.
20180809_154416.jpg
20180809_145639.jpg
Day 1, I fell asleep in the floor and was awoken by his lil feet walking all over my face ahaha!
20180810_090142.jpg
20180811_073210.jpg
It's as if I never left at all! :heart:

P.s. how are your birds doing @Clairecanary15 ???

Last edited:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Peeps is so pretty! Welcome home!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Welcome home! :marlenesmile: And Peeps is adorable as usual.
Any pics from your vacation? :)

My brothers took great care of Peeps, they were amazing :heart:
Be very happy for your brother. He can be my brother any time he wants. ♥

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
@rockoko @Eloy
Thank you guys! Happy to be back ahah
I'm lucky to have my bros, it really helps that we're all bird people lol!
I do have some pictures--and drawings! I'll have to share them next time :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yay, hope you had a great time away :)

Now that you know how well Peeps and your brothers can look after each other, you can happily go away any time in the future without worrying too much.
So glad to hear everything went well with Peeps.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Yay, hope you had a great time away :)

Now that you know how well Peeps and your brothers can look after each other, you can happily go away any time in the future without worrying too much.
So glad to hear everything went well with Peeps.
Thank you I did! And yes, I agree :) it's great to know that you have some you can trust with your bird!

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Hi

Im glad all is well. Im back now. My birds are all good. I actually sold 2 of this years young earlier..was rather sad to see them leave but Im sure they have gone to a good home which is a big plus.

Peeps is very outgoing and brave to say hi to unknown family members. It was good to hear he was his cheeky self even when you was a sleep..just too cute.

Your drawings have got my attention. My grandma used to do oil paintings. What is your go to when drawing..pencil, colours? tapatalk_1527692840003.jpeg

Peeps is moulting yey...just the start. Its usually the tail and wings first. You will soon be filling a pillow with them . I find it quite remarkable the amount of feathers that come from one canary. Im not sure the amount of feathers a canary has?? I do have a picture of the feathers in one wing..very interesting. I have attached it.