• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

E Coli in birds

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I'm sorry...when they get sick, it's so stressful. You just have to tell yourself you are doing everything in your power. And you are! :hug5:

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Oh shoot I gave her white rice!
Nothing wrong with white rice, really danita.
Every situation after a surgery is different. You'll be fine.
I personally stated I avoided it because Billy jean was on a lot of meds and anti biotics. 3 surgeries in 7 days. Billy jean flew and sat atop an open interior door, but a house guest wasn't looking and shut door hard on her, clipping one finger off and second finger nearly off. Tried to have them reattached , one took, the other wouldn't. A few days later the other one had to be amputated. She went thru a lot.
You know how pain meds and antibiotics can make you blocked up after surgery ( been thru it myself) I was concerned for the bird.
So it was advised to me to keep her on soft wet foods. So please don't take that the wrong way,
Because like I said, every situation is different, and unique. Rice is fine, your bird will tell you if it doesn't want it. It was a choice I made and avoided based vets advice on Billy jean's condition.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Poor Coco :( Someone on this thread (I think @enigma731 ) mentioned that the antibiotics she's on could be making her feel lousy. That makes a lot of sense to me. I know strong antibiotics can do a number on people sometimes, so it wouldn't surprise me that birds can have trouble dealing with the side effects too. While she's on meds she'll probably won't be quite herself and that's ok.

I think you just gotta push through it as you and Coco have been doing. Your providing her with excellent care and she has a fabulous vet. Feel better soon sweet Coco :heart:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Poor Coco :( Someone on this thread (I think @enigma731 ) mentioned that the antibiotics she's on could be making her feel lousy. That makes a lot of sense to me. I know strong antibiotics can do a number on people sometimes, so it wouldn't surprise me that birds can have trouble dealing with the side effects too. While she's on meds she'll probably won't be quite herself and that's ok.

I think you just gotta push through it as you and Coco have been doing. Your providing her with excellent care and she has a fabulous vet. Feel better soon sweet Coco :heart:
Did you see the pictorial of Keiko?
C1E54552-CB54-4140-B1CA-C31368A1CD1A.jpeg

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
7DDF2F33-5EA6-4F63-B60A-CC3A37BCAB4F.jpeg Coco went back to the hospital today.
She was so uncomfortable after eating. The Dr wanted to see her right away. So they are trying pain meds and watch her for a couple days.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Poor Coco. Sending my well wishes.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, I’m so sad to hear she’s back at the vets. :( What an adorable picture of her.:heart: Get better sweet Coco!:angel1:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Poor lil coco. Get well lil sweet heart.