• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

E Coli in birds

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Poor baby E.coli is miserable stuff. There was a macaw at the clinic one of the first years I volunteered. Poor guy was in isolation unit. I was making toys like crazy to keep him occupied. I don't remember the outcome. Get well soon coco
Well she should recover, I hope!
:sad9:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Blessings Danita. I'm so very sorry Coco is sick. I know how you feel and prayers are headed your way.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Well in your worry, you forgot to mention that she also just had surgery for swallowing a feeding tube and has to where a collar to not chew the incision. Coco has no reason to feel good this week. :( She needs some time to heal. It's so hard to see them sick, you just want to do more but sometimes you have to just be patient and give some time to heal.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Jackson had it recently. then he had a severe reaction to the sulfa drug she put him and and i almost lost him. Sending best wishes for Coco :heart:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
If you can be quietly sitting near her every time she wakes and gently ask her how she is feeling and reminding her how much you want her to get better, her emotional state will improve. Like you do with any sick child. If you have a set of baby monitors you can hear her anytime you are out of the room.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
She just ate some rice and ABBA greens, now she is squawking at me, good sign.
Lets see how long it lasts before she Konks out again.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are many strains of e coli, most of which are not pathologic and are present in the gut of healthy organisms. Others do cause infections which range from very mild to multi-drug resistant and life threatening. So unfortunately it's really hard for me to say what you should expect without knowing more. However, it sounds like the vets are being very diligent. What meds is she on?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes. Coco had a perforation which released it into her bloodstream, making it that much worse.

Danita clarified above that Coco doesn't have a perforation (see herposting above). She said that there is a bump on the lining of Coco's digestive system where something she ate stuck to the lining. A perforation is really serious and can be quickly fatal due to sepsis.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Coco is ill and hope she will be better soon. With everything she has gone through it will take time for her to heal. Are you giving her DMG? Check with the vet regarding that.
I had a bird with an e. coli infection once. I don't remember which antibiotic he was on but when he was re-cultured after getting the antibiotics all was well.
Sending positive thoughts for Coco.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here's what Danita said'

I am not sure it is a perforation, um, I think it is thickening they saw from the CT, it was the exact spot the ingested item was.
I just want her to be herself for a bit so I know she is okay.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
She is on chloramphenicol and marbofloxican

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Oh gosh Coco, I hope you feel like yourself very soon! :heart:

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, so ileus is basically a mass of digested food that's kind of stuck/moving slowly due to intestinal inflammation. It's not a blockage per se but it will definitely make them feel gross. It also sounds like she has a pretty nasty e coli strain, but it's good that they've done a sensitivity and presumably picked the best drugs. How do her poops seem?

Chlor is pretty harsh as far as I know, so some of what you're seeing may be side effects of it. I'm not suggesting you should take her off, just know that some of the dullness may be related to it. I'd focus on getting her to eat things that are easy on digestion and that are comfort foods for her. You could also ask if they think it would be helpful to add a med that helps coat the GI tract to decrease inflammation, like l-glutamine or one of the meds they use for ulcers.

I don't see any indication that she has a perforation or sepsis (blood infection) from that discharge paperwork, just a nasty GI infection that's probably making her feel really gross.