• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

E Coli in birds

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here a good, but not technical gobldygook, article by Dr. Wissman. There are lots and lots of different strains of E.coli and not all are pathogens.

Exotic Pet Veterinarian

Ugh, your doctor says that whichever strain of E. Coli she is infected with, it has "considerable resistance" to antibiotics. The one antibiotic we have discussed is one that Dr. Driggers used (Chlorophenol) for a crop/digestive system infection that Jasper had. The Marbofloxican is a fluoroquinolone ( just like Baytril is of the same family). So they are using the multiple antibiotic approach to her infection.

Sounds like your vets are really good ones and all you have to do is give her care and love her a lot - when she's not trying to get some rest.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Slippery elm works for coating the GI and pushing through the digestive tract but it also interacts with medications so I wouldn't use it here. I'd ask if maybe a enzyme would aid in movement, it used to make looser poops in my birds.

I think you just need to hang in there Danita. Maybe get a velcro collar so you can remove it for an hour when you are watching. It's seems your vet has her on the VIP list for care.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Slippery elm works for coating the GI and pushing through the digestive tract but it also interacts with medications so I wouldn't use it here. I'd ask if maybe a enzyme would aid in movement, it used to make looser poops in my birds.
Maybe also Reglan, I was thinking about that if the ileus is a major issue.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Thank you so much everyone. I’ll attach her WBC lab chart from the last year.
That was the first thing the doc said is that she will need long term meds to coat her stomach. Not sure why not now, I am sure she has a reason.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Maybe also Reglan, I was thinking about that if the ileus is a major issue.

I'm not familiar with that one. I used slippery elm for months when Korbel had AGY. We were controlling vomiting and I swear he would have died without it. It settled his crop quickly. I love it for weird poo. Pushes everything in four hours. I'm not usually a "all natural" pusher but this one I have lots of experience with. Could be used once the real meds are over.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Reglan = Metoclopramide

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Danita-my heart hurts for you and what you are going through.Gemini had E-coli when she came to me(see pic) 26years ago there was not a whole lot of help to be had.I did get her to a Vet and got antibiotics for her.I don't remember what kind but I do remember that She pulled through.Your little Coco has the Best Mommy and Vets possible and with the care she is getting and the Love and Prayers from her thousands of fans She will probably be bouncing again in no time! upload_2019-6-4_20-55-44.png :hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not familiar with that one. I used slippery elm for months when Korbel had AGY. We were controlling vomiting and I swear he would have died without it. It settled his crop quickly. I love it for weird poo. Pushes everything in four hours. I'm not usually a "all natural" pusher but this one I have lots of experience with. Could be used once the real meds are over.
I've never used slippery elm but Reglan has been a life saver for my birds. Sounds like two good options and the vet would have to weigh in on what's best for this situation. :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Reglan = Metoclopramide

Yes, just not one I've personally used. Or... maybe Cha was on that one when I first got her, she had that terrible GI infection and they had her on a lot of stuff. ??? I'd have to look at her records.

I've never used slippery elm but Reglan has been a life saver for my birds. Sounds like two good options and the vet would have to weigh in on what's best for this situation. :)

Slippery Elm can interfere with absorption of some medications so, yours is probably a better choice. It's also what I grab when they eat something weird and I want it out. Lol

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Doc said she was alert and active in the late afternoon and evening last night. She seems like she is that right now. Not drowsy. She is mad at the neighbors and my Amazon Coojo lol

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Based on those labs, I would bet she's had the e coli this whole time and because of the antibiotic resistance, it got partially but not fully knocked out with prior treatments. Hopefully once it's taken care of, she'll be a lot better overall even if she does need some special GI support.

@Macawnutz Reglan doesn't coat the digestive tract, it stimulates peristalsis in the smooth muscle cells of the GI tract. So I don't think it would have the same impact on absorption of meds. But obviously different things for different purposes! You wouldn't want to use it when something weird was swallowed!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Danita-my heart hurts for you and what you are going through.Gemini had E-coli when she came to me(see pic) 26years ago there was not a whole lot of help to be had.I did get her to a Vet and got antibiotics for her.I don't remember what kind but I do remember that She pulled through.Your little Coco has the Best Mommy and Vets possible and with the care she is getting and the Love and Prayers from her thousands of fans She will probably be bouncing again in no time! View attachment 306518 :hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:
Thanks Bonnie
Thank god, Gemini made it.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
So now she has eaten a ton and is exhausted again. It’s the food that makes her so tired. That is always how I knew she was sick, she would want her cage for a nap after food. It must be uncomfortable for her digestion with this.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe, or maybe it's just her body telling her she needs to rest. Remember that as much as we hate seeing them sleepy, they do need it for their immune systems to fight stuff off.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
My Coco is sick and I wonder if anyone has had experience with it?
Not sure what to expect.
Her bowel wall was damaged from ingesting something that adhered to the bowel. She has an E. coli infection there. She just got home from hospital last night and she is so tired
I just don’t know what to expect.
View attachment 306480
Hi Danita, hoping for a good recovery for coco. I haven't had quite that issue your going thru with coco, but my late cockatoo Billy jean went through 3 surgeries in 7 days. Poor thing was not her bouncy self at all for nearly 3 weeks! The surgeries were tough as heck on her, especially the last one. I didn't think she'd make it. I was prepared for the worst.
The medication you have coco on will help the digestive tract. Sooth it, and coat it in other words as well as do it's job. Very important to keep coco hydrated. Might avoid acidy drinks, as it can irritate an already inflamed tract. But I went 50/50 juice water mixture and was fine.
I also avoided foods that bulk up when wet. Rice bulks up, and can create blockage in a swollen tract, and I avoided gassy foods.
Birds have to eat, sick or not, so the food processor and good juicer became my friend for a few days. I kept foods simple, wet, and easily digestable. I didn't want to risk digestive blockage on a sick bird. So basically had her on liquid mush foods. Billy jean recovered, but was limited on a few things she could do or used to do. It was my wife's bird and she performed the surgery on Billy jean.
We literally had to force liquids down Billy jean the first couple days after surgery. It was like she wanted to give up, but really saying in body language, I'm too weak, help me.
But after 3 weeks it was back to regular foods and she ate like a horse!

Last edited:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Oh shoot I gave her white rice!