• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Diamond dove peeling. Skin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
I'll chime in, as my Husband is from Iran (left when he was a teen). I think in Iran, in particular, pets inside the home is just considered dirty as all get out. Not haram, just unclean. My in-laws cannot stand dogs of any kind, for any reason. They border on paranoia/fear with dogs! Interestingly, they LOVE birds. They all got very excited when we got Bubbles, but stopped coming over when we had a dog for a short time years ago. The family that still lives in Iran (most of my husbands immediate family is in the US) all saw pictures of Bubbles on social media and said "what a lovely love bird". Me: She's a Budgie, not a Lovebird! I assume it's a translation thing.

Anyway, because of the "pets are filthy dirty things" attitude, it is hard to find vet services/supplies, etc... in many Middle Eastern countries. Meanwhile, I've had to edit this response several times because Bubbles is playing on my laptop and keeps beaking programs open by messing with the touch screen.:joyful:o_O
Awww bubbles sounds like such a sweet bird . I suppose that could be a reason for less vet care in Iran. I feel sad about the pets are filthy attitude because it is so untrue they only get dirty if you don't take care of them luckily people who love animals are slowly outnumbering people who think they are dirty. There are no laws against dogs and animals here in Pakistan and people only hate dogs because of the massive population of street dogs everywhere. These dogs are quite wild and sometimes run after people thinking they are a threat walking pass their territory. Luckily our neighborhood dogs don't do that and are very less territorial, since none of the neighborhood kids disturb them they have never attacked anyone I find them so cute rolling over on my door step but I eventually change my mind as night falls and they start barking loudly.
Both my grand parents and parents have had dogs and a whole lot of animals and are quite big fans of them especially my grandfather who kept chickens ,turkeys,cats,dogs,rabbits,goats and parrots.

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
Guys i have not so good news. Lovey's wound was doing much much better recently and the remaining scab was lifting up and starting to peal but he lost his balance again and fell on his back. I noticed he manages to hurt himself while on his back by trying to get up himself thus his claws scratching the wound and slowing the healing.Thank God it is not that bad and he doesn't fall like that very often . Half the scab that fell of had already healed and had no issue but the other one fell because of this too quickly. Though i have to say it could easily have been worse and i am very very happy there was not much damage done, just letting you guys know about the set back but Lovey's right back on the track and i am noticing him making up for the lost weight in the injury. I am continuously cleaning the small wound and applying the ointment as well as some cicatrin powder. He still seems to be going great and loved cooling of with his best bud in the air conditioned room. Don't worry he is eating,drinking,cooing ,pecking and getting into everything with his crazy antics which i guess led to this mess and now i am also using antibacterial powder as well as cream to kill the germs and healing up the wound. Pics tomorrow.:starshower1:

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Here are the pics the wound looks better now

Oh wow! Lovey :) You are looking so much better. Even new feathers coming in.

So nice to see. Your parent, Suhaimah, really loves you.

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
Here you go guys here's a clip of him happily pecking at his favorite treat crushed chicken eggshells. Thank you guys again for all your help me and Lovey both appreciate it. :loveshower:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looks great! I'm wondering if you can pad his cage so when he flips over, he doesn't hurt his head again,

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe Lovey! You are so cute. He seems to be pretty spunky :)

Thank you so much for being kind and caring to a disabled dove. Birds are awesome!