• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Diamond dove peeling. Skin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
Hello everybody no time to introduce myself I really need help. A disabled dove of mine he has wing paralysis most likely due to an injury before I got him that's not the issue he actually falls on his back but the thing is because of this he hit his head badly so applied tartaric powder on His wound IT'S HEALING FINE BUT THE FEATHERS AROUND His HEAD I put the powder on are missing. And their is this peeling of yellowish skin in tiny patches on his head. Their is even some on his orange ring he wiggles his head if I touch it. Other wise he is fine.
Could this be because of the tartaric powder. he was molting at the time of this so is this some abnormal molt. I don't think so as she wouldn't have the peeling yellowish skin. Some one on an old post said not to use tartaric powder on them while They molt I just found out. Is it because of that. PLEASE TELL ME HOW Can I cure it.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wash that area well with some saline and get the residue off. Do it a couple times if you need..a pic will help or call your vet, they could give you advice on the phone.

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
btw the wound looks huge since it's zoomed. He seems to also pluck his feathers that have tartaric powder on them an the ones on his head i don't know how but are not their after that.i had him with his mate before so it may be over preening thus they are separate. He seems to want to take a bath by dipping his tail and wings in the water dish i'm scared as to give him a bath as my hair drier is not working . Should i give him a bath anyway? Thank you for your feed back:)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I would have your vet look at that, it looks dry and sore. You can still gently clean with saline but do not use a hair dryer on him.Do you at least Neosporin or other bacterial cream? To put a little on the wound with a QTip? It's better than nothing..

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
You need to go to the vet and go to the vet Now - Period. The lower edge of the wound looks necrotic. The skin is raised and discolored as is the would itself indicating there’s infection going on probably with infection underneath the skin as well as what’s visible. Your bird could die of sepsis if you wait too long. I do not want this to come out as anything other than concerned advice and please take it as such. If that was my bird she would have already been at the vet, as in yesterday a week ago! And those who know me on the forum, know that I don’t necessarily advocate the vet at first glance. In this case there’s every reason that I can see that she should be getting treated with proper medicine specific to what’s going on with her. If you love her, please, please take her to the vet now!

Best of luck and sending positive thoughts!

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
I would have your vet look at that, it looks dry and sore. You can still gently clean with saline but do not use a hair dryer on him.Do you at least Neosporin or other bacterial cream? To put a little on the wound with a QTip? It's better than nothing..
Thank you guys for your concern.
I haven't been to the vet but am using the medicine he prescribed for these type of wounds from the very day she got the wound.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thank you guys for your concern.
I haven't been to the vet but am using the medicine he prescribed for these type of wounds from the very day she got the wound.
We can't give medical advice. You must get your little one checked out. The vet can test the area for more serious bacterial infections or diseases. We can only give reactive information and short term solutions to help until you make it to the vet.

Please take your bird in for proper medical care. :sadhug2:

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
You need to go to the vet and go to the vet Now - Period. The lower edge of the wound looks necrotic. The skin is raised and discolored as is the would itself indicating there’s infection going on probably with infection underneath the skin as well as what’s visible. Your bird could die of sepsis if you wait too long. I do not want this to come out as anything other than concerned advice and please take it as such. If that was my bird she would have already been at the vet, as in yesterday a week ago! And those who know me on the forum, know that I don’t necessarily advocate the vet at first glance. In this case there’s every reason that I can see that she should be getting treated with proper medicine specific to what’s going on with her. If you love her, please, please take her to the vet now!

Best of luck and sending positive thoughts!
I am so worried.
The country I live in does not have much vetnary care I love him so much. I am using the cream Gentamincin he prescribed for it but I am afraid if I go again I am a hundred percent sure he will just send me off again with the same medicine. It has helped a bit and the discolored skin is due to the paste of tartaric powder and Gentamicyn. Also I think the lower thingy of her wound is also part of the dried paste. But I am so worried about him. What if it is infected. What do I do cover the wound which medicine does any one have any advice. I mean Seariously we have very bad vets one just told me to leave the wound alone and it would heal by itself. Also the skin around the neck is sort of streachy like old people skin.but he isn't dehydrated Please what do I do!

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
We can't give medical advice. You must get your little one checked out. The vet can test the area for more serious bacterial infections or diseases. We can only give reactive information and short term solutions to help until you make it to the vet.

Please take your bird in for proper medical care. :sadhug2:
I have but their is no proper vetnary care here! They don't do any tests or anything so I mostly rely on home remidies and a few medicines online and they have always worked till today.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have but their is no proper vetnary care here! They don't do any tests or anything so I mostly rely on home remidies and a few medicines online and they have always worked till today.
How long has the wound been open this way? Poor little dove :( I am so sorry you don't have access to medical care. Can you try consulting an online vet? If it is legal in your area.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Personally I would like to see him on an oral antibiotic but I am aware of the lack of vet care in some countries.

Water, water heals wounds. Ever notice how great a wound looks after you take a bath or go swimming? Wash it well and only apply the gentimycyn once it's cleaned. Not a bunch but keeping this wound moist might do some good. No hair dryers ever. I doubt very much your hair dryer is teflon free. Wrap him in a towel to dry if you are worried. While you have him in there hold a wet wash cloth on his head to moisten up that scab. Keep him warm and away from other birds. Quiet rest time until it heals.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I agree with an oral antibiotic. I just wish we could get a confirmation. Using antibiotics without evidence has heaps of other potential problems.

It is good the dove has a normal appetit and preening behaviour according to the owner. Fingers crossed.

:sadhug2:

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
How long has the wound been open this way? Poor little dove :( I am so sorry you don't have access to medical care. Can you try consulting an online vet? If it is legal in your area.
From this tuesdah

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Well as stated this should not be considered medical advice, but I did have a medical doctor look at the photos.

Head injuries tend to look especially bad because of the lack of connective tissue on the scalp. I was also advised that the amount of healing looks healthy for that amount of time. The doctor said stitches are suggested. Based on the appearance no antibiotic would be used on a human with this injury. Again we are people who love birds and we are only offering this because you have informed us of the lack of vet care in your country.

Please continue to clean the wound and give the dove love and care. It may not be as bad as it looks. Do your best to get a proper veterinary consult.

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
Well as stated this should not be considered medical advice, but I did have a medical doctor look at the photos.

Head injuries tend to look especially bad because of the lack of connective tissue on the scalp. I was also advised that the amount of healing looks healthy for that amount of time. The doctor said stitches are suggested. Based on the appearance no antibiotic would be used on a human with this injury. Again we are people who love birds and we are only offering this because you have informed us of the lack of vet care in your country.

Please continue to clean the wound and give the dove love and care. It may not be as bad as it looks. Do your best to get a proper veterinary consult.

Thak you so much that is great news. I'll be sure to keep you posted. ☺