• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Diamond dove peeling. Skin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
There is almost no difference except that the wound is less red.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Still sending prayers and good thoughts..

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Good luck at the vet Lovey!

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
I know you don’t think so but Lovey’s head is full of infection. It should not be lumped out like it is. Birds also have different pus than humans. It’s not always liquid. It can be almost solid like cold butter or cheese. And because it’s underneath the skin/scab the antibiotic cream will do nothing for it. I have attached a pic of a regular pigeon having a wound cleared. The yellow solid looking goop is pus. That’s why Lovey needs antibiotics that he eats so it makes him better inside.
9E7D1794-D441-49AE-8A96-0E47D2B532DE.jpeg

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
I am back from the vets. I tried 2 and they both told me almost the same thing and were very nice about it.(finnaly good vets)
We bought another tupe of gentamicin and they gave us heavy electrolytes to help with healing. The second vet disinfected the wound (it did stain his front head feathers but oh well I just want him to get better)
The vet said it luckily not an infection but extreme swelling and that it would get better soon.:yahoo:
But lovey got stressesd and when home lost his balance again and despite the towel floor still hurt him self.
I am sooooooo worried and have done everything and will continue to clean, treat and care for him now just need your prayers.:(
Thank God he is still eating, drinking,preening and cooing.

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
I know you don’t think so but Lovey’s head is full of infection. It should not be lumped out like it is. Birds also have different pus than humans. It’s not always liquid. It can be almost solid like cold butter or cheese. And because it’s underneath the skin/scab the antibiotic cream will do nothing for it. I have attached a pic of a regular pigeon having a wound cleared. The yellow solid looking goop is pus. That’s why Lovey needs antibiotics that he eats so it makes him better inside.
View attachment 302700
Hope not
Thank you for your concerns. I still don't fully trust the vets here they are good people with good intentions but I can never be sure. I asked for antibiotics but he said to use the cream and that it would work surely. he said since temperatures are very high it was 35°c today and tomorrow forcast is 40°c and antibiotics should not be used as they cause loose droppings and some times dehydration. The only antibiotic he thought could be used was an inijectible but he didn't want to use it on such a small bird and said the swelling was due to the wound and not an infection. In the end came home with more antibacterial cream and strong electrolytes to keep his strength up. I was wondering do I give my doves a salt stone I know every bird needs it but some use less I'm still skeptical.

Kodigirl210

A mineral block would be good for Lovey. It will help with his hydration because it will make him want to drink and the salt will help the water retention. I know it can get so very hot there whether you are on the top or the bottom of a mountain. I would just keep an eye on him as you don’t want him to overdo it and get sick from drinking too much water. It is a delicate balance. If they had only injectable antibiotics it probably is good to not give those as it most likely a very generic broad spectrum and birds tend to need specific ones. It might be necessary to go to the college if he doesn’t start improving more. Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Thank you for giving Lovey the respect of a few vet visits. I hope Lovey is finally on the mend. Get well Lovey. We are all cheering you on.

I wish Lovey would stop tripping and hurting himself. More soft stuff for Lovey! :)

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
A mineral block would be good for Lovey. It will help with his hydration because it will make him want to drink and the salt will help the water retention. I know it can get so very hot there whether you are on the top or the bottom of a mountain. I would just keep an eye on him as you don’t want him to overdo it and get sick from drinking too much water. It is a delicate balance. If they had only injectable antibiotics it probably is good to not give those as it most likely a very generic broad spectrum and birds tend to need specific ones. It might be necessary to go to the college if he doesn’t start improving more. Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery!
I agree we did buy a salt block yesterday and i am planning to wash it and set it up they gave us a huge block so I will also cut it.
Thank you for giving Lovey the respect of a few vet visits. I hope Lovey is finally on the mend. Get well Lovey. We are all cheering you on.

I wish Lovey would stop tripping and hurting himself. More soft stuff for Lovey! :)
Yes I do too.

Thank you both so much for all your concerns and advice i will make sure to keep you posted,and hope fully Inshallah Lovey will make a full recovery. He is currently pecking:starshower1: on his favorite treat crushed chicken egg shells and appreciates your help.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I hope Lovey is feeling ok today. Please send an update when you can :)

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
Hi! Lovey is doing much much better MashAllah .
the scab has fallen off there still a deep grave on her head but the wound looks much smaller.:bounce3::cheer::bliss:

And less swollen. His new feathers have almost grown on areas around his neck and more growing in can be seen. I am seeing an even more over all activeness. He's running around happily and is back in his crazy antics so I keep an even closer eye on him as he is falling over more often. I don't think there is anythinng more i an do to prevent that ,at least the towel provides comfort and grip and my Grandmother says she even saw him getting up from his back on his own.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, you have done a great job caring for Lovey. I’ve been following this thread along... just wanted to say with the small birds, even here in the US we get poor advice or no advice. It’s very frustrating. Maybe you can find a better vet somewhere.

I’m so glad Lovey is feeling better.

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
Hi, you have done a great job caring for Lovey. I’ve been following this thread along... just wanted to say with the small birds, even here in the US we get poor advice or no advice. It’s very frustrating. Maybe you can find a better vet somewhere.

I’m so glad Lovey is feeling better.
Thank you Lovey appreciates it.:marlenesmile: I guess with the small birds health issues are more threatening as there is less medical advancement or treatment on these birds as wide spectrum medicines can be dangerous to them.

ELS

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ellie
Thank you Lovey appreciates it.:marlenesmile: I guess with the small birds health issues are more threatening as there is less medical advancement or treatment on these birds as wide spectrum medicines can be dangerous to them.
I definitely agree. You have done a great job with him, and Lovey is so cute! :xflove:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
guess with the small birds health issues are more threatening as there is less medical advancement or treatment on these birds as wide spectrum medicines can be dangerous to them.
Yes, that’s it exactly.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I would try and find a vet, I'm sure there must be someone that takes care of dogs or even farm animals. What about the local SPCA? College? Farm Co OP or a pet store? Surely even an vet tech would be better then nothing. The wound does not look like its healing, the skin is dull. Best of luck.

ELS

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ellie
I would try and find a vet, I'm sure there must be someone that takes care of dogs or even farm animals. What about the local SPCA? College? Farm Co OP or a pet store? Surely even an vet tech would be better then nothing. The wound does not look like its healing, the skin is dull. Best of luck.
Suhaimah does not live in a country with much access to trained vets. From what she has said, many of the "vets" that she has access to don't seem to be formally trained. I'm guessing this means that some of them are more like local experts that start offering treatments because there is a demand for it and because veterinary care is not closely regulated by the government. I don't know that she's mentioned specifically where she is. Perhaps Saudi Arabia? I believe they have only one veterinary school, which is something she mentioned earlier in the thread.

She has taken Lovey to several of the available vets to get advice and treatments though and is doing a great job with what resources she has. :)

Kodigirl210

I believe it is Pakistan. And there are not a lot of resources or vets there. Due to the Muslim belief and depending on how devout the area is - animals as pets are considered distractions in the lesser spectrum and completely dirty/should be exterminated in the far spectrum. I think Pakistan is somewhere towards the middle where they don’t get too crazy about pets but they probably aren’t encouraged. In Iran it can mean death to own a pet and certainly they euthanize pets routinely there. We are lucky to live in places where we don’t have to choose between having a pet or going to prison and being tortured/killed.