• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel advice?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My cockatiel's have a separate sleep cage, and I just have water in there at night. They sleep for 12-13 hours. (The vet said this was fine.) They have food available all day. Wake up time varies from weekend to weekdays, and they do just fine with that, so I'm sure your bird will do fine with a different summer schedule. I just wouldn't make him wait a crazy amount of time to eat breakfast!

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
Unlike most people I do not have my birds on a schedule for this reason. I used to have a rotating schedule so I would go to work and get off work at varying times. When I first got Riley I was unable to work so I made sure he never was fed or let out at the same time he never went to bed at the same time either.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
My cockatiel's have a separate sleep cage, and I just have water in there at night. They sleep for 12-13 hours. (The vet said this was fine.) They have food available all day. Wake up time varies from weekend to weekdays, and they do just fine with that, so I'm sure your bird will do fine with a different summer schedule. I just wouldn't make him wait a crazy amount of time to eat breakfast!
Thanks! I don't know if I will use a sleeping cage for it yet, since the main cage is in my room. I guess I could always though, if they were night-fright prone or just because. Thanks again! :)

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Unlike most people I do not have my birds on a schedule for this reason. I used to have a rotating schedule so I would go to work and get off work at varying times. When I first got Riley I was unable to work so I made sure he never was fed or let out at the same time he never went to bed at the same time either.
Thanks! I don't wake up at exactly the same time each day, and on weekends I sleep in a bit, so that shouldn't be a problem. :)

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
I have a prevue hendryx flight cage for my three cockatiels. I don't have seperate cages for sleep. Make sure you have all nesscesities. They need pruning perches, I have a variety, crushed sea shell, cuttlebone perch, sanded perch & swing, a second shell perch, but it's a crappier version, a snack perch, then i have a rope perch and wooden ones. You can buy wooden dowels to use as wooden perches. Make sure it is untreated wood. They need variety and different widths of perches. They can uses perches at 1/2 inches and 3/4 inches. Cover his cage at night with a blanket. It's cold here so I use a few fleece blankets. He will also need a cuttlebone at all times. This is their calcium source.
I have a made a pvc play gym to on top of the cage to give them something to do when they are out.
If you adopt from a shelter you may not find a hand tamed cockatiel. This is very important because taming is not easy and I'm sure you don't want to go through it. I have tamed aggressive cockatiels and I have no desire to do it again. So, what to look for in a friendly bird? A bird who comes up to the side when he sees you. He needs to have interest in you. Ask to hold the bird before you purchase. You want him to be comfortable on your finger, or if he jumps to your shoulder that is fine, but if he keeps trying to fly from you that isnt good. Another thing is if they stick their hand in to get the bird and it runs to the back of its cage, this means the bird is afraid of people. It is easy to tame birds who are afraid of people aslong as they aren't aggressive. You don't want a bird that bites, it's hard to stop. One of my birds, Emma, runs from me sometimes but the second I get her out she sits with me for hours. I can't pet her though like I can with my hand fed cockatiel, Nala.
You will want to feed your bird a seed mix with veggies (like peas and broccoli), couscous pasta, whole wheat toast, etc. He may not be used to these so take the veggies and chop them up really small and lightly cover them in seeds to trick the bird to try them. I get frozen veggies and warm them up in the microwave, but you can get fresh too. For treats get millet and popcon kernals. Take the kernels and add alittle vegetable oil and put them in the popper. I have a microwave popper so I just throw it in for the same time I would with bagged popcorn. They can't have bagged popcorn because they cant have dairy not lots of salt. Birds cannot digest dairy so never feed anything containing dairy products. If you go on the website "cockatiel cottage" they have a huge list of safe foods. As I stated before, he needs a cuttlebone as well regardless of what you are feeding him.
As for flight suits, the flight suit is only held with velcro. The velcro doesn't always hold well and it can rub on the bird and make him uncomfortable. I had planned to get the aviator flight harness, it fits right to the body so there isn't any escaping. I decided not to because most states have mosquitoes that have a bird version of west nile. Check if your state does or not. It's very dangerous to them.
You cannot use any air fresheners with them. A glade plug in almost killed my birds. No plug ins, desolving gel balls, fabreeze, perfumes, candles, etc. These all have toxic fumes. Nonstick pans also contain toxic fumes when they are heated so try to avoid them.
You can make a variety of toys for your bird. Things like jute twine, sisal rope, muffin cups, straws, plastic pony beads (no glow in the dark, they contain a toxic chemical), only stainless steel or aluminum metals can be used. The others contain zinc which is deadly to them.
A toy I got for Nala was a kids oball. It is bpa free so it's safe if it were to be injected but trust me there's no way they will break it. Nala chews it like crazy. So you can search around kids toys for him and most are safe aslong as they are bap free and don't contain any gels or liquids.
I have had cockatiels most of my life so if you have any more questions feel free to message me or I will probably see your post on here.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I have a prevue hendryx flight cage for my three cockatiels. I don't have seperate cages for sleep. Make sure you have all nesscesities. They need pruning perches, I have a variety, crushed sea shell, cuttlebone perch, sanded perch & swing, a second shell perch, but it's a crappier version, a snack perch, then i have a rope perch and wooden ones. You can buy wooden dowels to use as wooden perches. Make sure it is untreated wood. They need variety and different widths of perches. They can uses perches at 1/2 inches and 3/4 inches. Cover his cage at night with a blanket. It's cold here so I use a few fleece blankets. He will also need a cuttlebone at all times. This is their calcium source.
I have a made a pvc play gym to on top of the cage to give them something to do when they are out.
If you adopt from a shelter you may not find a hand tamed cockatiel. This is very important because taming is not easy and I'm sure you don't want to go through it. I have tamed aggressive cockatiels and I have no desire to do it again. So, what to look for in a friendly bird? A bird who comes up to the side when he sees you. He needs to have interest in you. Ask to hold the bird before you purchase. You want him to be comfortable on your finger, or if he jumps to your shoulder that is fine, but if he keeps trying to fly from you that isnt good. Another thing is if they stick their hand in to get the bird and it runs to the back of its cage, this means the bird is afraid of people. It is easy to tame birds who are afraid of people aslong as they aren't aggressive. You don't want a bird that bites, it's hard to stop. One of my birds, Emma, runs from me sometimes but the second I get her out she sits with me for hours. I can't pet her though like I can with my hand fed cockatiel, Nala.
You will want to feed your bird a seed mix with veggies (like peas and broccoli), couscous pasta, whole wheat toast, etc. He may not be used to these so take the veggies and chop them up really small and lightly cover them in seeds to trick the bird to try them. I get frozen veggies and warm them up in the microwave, but you can get fresh too. For treats get millet and popcon kernals. Take the kernels and add alittle vegetable oil and put them in the popper. I have a microwave popper so I just throw it in for the same time I would with bagged popcorn. They can't have bagged popcorn because they cant have dairy not lots of salt. Birds cannot digest dairy so never feed anything containing dairy products. If you go on the website "cockatiel cottage" they have a huge list of safe foods. As I stated before, he needs a cuttlebone as well regardless of what you are feeding him.
As for flight suits, the flight suit is only held with velcro. The velcro doesn't always hold well and it can rub on the bird and make him uncomfortable. I had planned to get the aviator flight harness, it fits right to the body so there isn't any escaping. I decided not to because most states have mosquitoes that have a bird version of west nile. Check if your state does or not. It's very dangerous to them.
You cannot use any air fresheners with them. A glade plug in almost killed my birds. No plug ins, desolving gel balls, fabreeze, perfumes, candles, etc. These all have toxic fumes. Nonstick pans also contain toxic fumes when they are heated so try to avoid them.
You can make a variety of toys for your bird. Things like jute twine, sisal rope, muffin cups, straws, plastic pony beads (no glow in the dark, they contain a toxic chemical), only stainless steel or aluminum metals can be used. The others contain zinc which is deadly to them.
A toy I got for Nala was a kids oball. It is bpa free so it's safe if it were to be injected but trust me there's no way they will break it. Nala chews it like crazy. So you can search around kids toys for him and most are safe aslong as they are bap free and don't contain any gels or liquids.
I have had cockatiels most of my life so if you have any more questions feel free to message me or I will probably see your post on here.
Thank you! This helped a lot. As for the play area when it is out, I have a playhouse that I will be converting into a bird room. (It is 7 feet 8 inches by 7' 2") as you know, I will be getting a bird from a rescue, but I will volunteer at the rescue before I even consider bringing one home with me. I will be getting it from a rescue that my mom's friend got her tiel from, (who is very friendly) and will be working with them and trying to find a friendly one. Thank you!

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I actually use both of those, and they are great brands.
My cockatiel and gcc both love Zupreem naturals.
For their seed I use the one you posted(Volkman no Sun)as well as Higgens Safflower Gold.
It's a good idea to mix 2-3 different quality seeds together, as it adds more variety to a birds diet. :)
I also use NutriBerries and I recommend picking up some. They make great treats and foraging toy stuffers.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I actually use both of those, and they are great brands.
My cockatiel and gcc both love Zupreem naturals.
For their seed I use the one you posted(Volkman no Sun)as well as Higgens Safflower Gold.
It's a good idea to mix 2-3 different quality seeds together, as it adds more variety to a birds diet. :)
I also use NutriBerries and I recommend picking up some. They make great treats and foraging toy stuffers.
Thank you! I will be sure to do that. :D

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I use them for my seed and pellets, so I'd recommend them.
They make feeding time easier and gives you the peace of mind knowing nothing can get into the food(insects etc.)

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I use them for my seed and pellets, so I'd recommend them.
They make feeding time easier and gives you the peace of mind knowing nothing can get into the food(insects etc.)
Okay thanks! Do you have any brand suggestions? The ones I am finding are way too big.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Sterilite ones I hear are good.
For my pellets I have one similar to this: Target: Expect More. Pay Less.
For my seed, I'm not sure of the brands but they are able to hold about 5 pounds of seed each.

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
Oh.k.... as the air freshener..I will put my 2 cents in.. not to start a huge debate or argument.. I have a scentcy in my kitchen I use off and on, I have a auto spray up stairs that goes off every39 min and one in the bathroom..they are faraway from him..my son used them to..he had his bird 2 years.. he only had non stick pans..not that he cooked all the time..but he didn't have any troubles.. I have a glade pop up right now up on a shelf in my living room where the bird is at.you can't really smell it..it's not over powering.. if you can't use these once in awhile then why are we still using perfumes, aftershave, smelly shampoo, conditioners, body wash, cleaning products etc..if you have your washer and dryer up stairs , people use soaps that smell to..I just think sometimes things get blown up..stormy is fine.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
@scoobdoo63 Many people just don't like to take the risks. Once a friend came over to my house and cooked on an old Teflon pan we had forgotten about. Thankfully, nothing happened as the birds room was closed.
Just because something hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it might not in the future.
It's always advisable to be safe then sorry. :)

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
I can understand using old scraped up pans..that I heard is very bad even for humans....like I said not wanting an argument or debate..just letting you all know I have used stuff my son has used stuff in moderation and birds have been fine.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Hello again! I have a question on natural branches.

I would love to use natural branches from the trees in my yard, but I am unsure because we use a Japanese beetle repellent on most of them each year (we get Japanese beetles really bad otherwise). Is there a way to get rid of this?
If I were to use branches from a tree that we don't spray with the Japenese beetle stuff, how would I prepare it for a cage or bird room?
Thanks! :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations on getting a 'tiel. My 'tiels get Volkmans Avian Science Super Hookbill No Sunflower and Caitec Oven Fresh Bites. Check out Birdseed.com for Volkman seed although I am not sure how much the shipping would be.