• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel advice?

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Hi ask me any questions you have about Cockatiels I know a lot about them and own two myself.Its great you wanna adopt from a rescue a lot of birds are in need of new homes.You shouldn't clip even if your tiel is not tame he could decide he wants to fly to you and during the taming process he will be more confident and can fly away if he is not comfortable.I have Flightsuits and the Aviator harness and they are both great for taking your bird outdoors.I mostly use the Flight suit for visiting people or in the house if I have them somewhere I dont want poop.Flight cages are great for cockatiels he/she will have lots of space.Have you decided if you want a Male or Female? or does it matter.Males are most vocal and may learn to whistle and talk but Females can too but are less vocal.If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
My female Loki loves toys she can shred and make noise with and my Male Rocko dosent really play with toys he would rather chill with me and beg for scratches lol.
The perfectly trained parrot is a good book to get you started on training it shows you clicker training and harness training and other basic stuff.Also parrot parenting is a good book about care and grooming and stuff.
I commend you for doing all of this research. I am laughing because I was stupid when I got my first bird. I was in a pet shop looking for a kitten. They took in stray kittens, got them vet checked and spayed, and then sold them for the vet fee. The kittens were in the back of the store. I never made it there. In a large open glass enclosure, this yellow and gray bird saw me and thought "sucker" and she climbed up to my shoulder and wouldn't get off. I wound up buying a cage with too large spacing, and bird seed, all courtesy of a 17 year old boy (the clerk) who didn't know any better. That was Buddy, my first tiel. I was lucky to have found some good bird sites and got a lot of great advice. I think you are doing it right. The funny part? Buddy was a birdy food disposal. She would eat every vegetable and fruit put near her but Bella, she prefers her pellets, seeds, and millet. Buddy was an extremely well behaved tiel and Bella is a hurricane who likes to show me her butt and yell at me when she is mad. Bella is lucky that she is cute!
Thank you! :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I like Parrots Magazine, especially their articles on nutrition. Bird Talk is fun, but it only comes out once a year around February. I wish there was an intelligent, monthly parrot magazine published here in the US, especially one on tiels!

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I like Parrots Magazine, especially their articles on nutrition. Bird Talk is fun, but it only comes out once a year around February. I wish there was an intelligent, monthly parrot magazine published here in the US, especially one on tiels!
Thank you

Smbrds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Shawn
I didn't know Bird Talk started back up their subscriptions. After they changed their forum name I believe they discontinued their magazines. But that was years ago....

There was one devoted to cockatiels and a cover.......a 2006 issue. ;) I'm so happy Baby was featured in it as well. It was an article though and section about 'tiels. I miss those days, the forum and developed many good friends and conversations and miss getting magazines.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I didn't know Bird Talk started back up their subscriptions. After they changed their forum name I believe they discontinued their magazines. But that was years ago....

There was one devoted to cockatiels and a cover.......a 2006 issue. ;) I'm so happy Baby was featured in it as well. It was an article though and section about 'tiels. I miss those days, the forum and developed many good friends and conversations and miss getting magazines.
:)

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna

They just do one issue a year, or at least they have for the last few years. How cool to have had your birds in it!

Smbrds

Real Name
Shawn
Can't seem to find their subscriptions. It was nice back then though anyway. I loved the posters they had inside. I'm liking what I see with Parrots Magazine. It'd be nice to get something in the mail like that again, go through it and then give it it to Baby.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Can't seem to find their subscriptions. It was nice back then though anyway. I loved the posters they had inside. I'm liking what I see with Parrots Magazine. It'd be nice to get something in the mail like that again, go through it and then give it it to Baby.
:laugh:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
The Bird Talk that comes out once a year I have only seen at Petsmart or Petco. I don't think you can subscribe.

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
Be careful whose advice you take. Someone on this thread is known on other forums for trading in "problem" birds for a shiney new one rather than working with them.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Be careful whose advice you take. Someone on this thread is known on other forums for trading in "problem" birds for a shiney new one rather than working with them.
Who??

Robyn

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
You will see in time I won't even acknowledge this creatures existence by giving a name I have already added them to my blocked list the moment I found out they joined the forum. Just know you can't trust everyone on here.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
You will see in time I won't even acknowledge this creatures existence by giving a name I have already added them to my blocked list the moment I found out they joined the forum. Just know you can't trust everyone on here.
It must not be me then?

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
I dont know you but if your on Talk cockatiels and this is about Mango and Rio then you have it all wrong I would never replace him I still get to see him and im grateful for that.And I got Mango when I still had Rio.Rio was an aggressive lovebird who attacked the other birds so of course im gonna put their safety first.And now Rio is living a happy life.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Alrighty, more questions. Since I am still in school, and currently get up around 6 am, I have a question for the summer. Since I get up so early I would have plenty of time to feed and such, (I will bringing out after school, and weekends), but in the summer I wouldn't want to get up that early. Could I transition it when I get my cockatiel so that it accepted a later feeding time during the summer? I guess I could always feed it and go back to bed if needed. Anyway, just wondering. :) thanks.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Drini
Alrighty, more questions. Since I am still in school, and currently get up around 6 am, I have a question for the summer. Since I get up so early I would have plenty of time to feed and such, (I will bringing out after school, and weekends), but in the summer I wouldn't want to get up that early. Could I transition it when I get my cockatiel so that it accepted a later feeding time during the summer? I guess I could always feed it and go back to bed if needed. Anyway, just wondering. :) thanks.

My birds are always okay with waiting as I like my sleep too. :) I always always ALWAYS leave food in the cage, even if it is a day old, it's better than nothing (I am talking about my conure's pellets and my canaries' seeds, not fresh fruits and veggies, don't leave those in overnight). If the birds get hungry before I wake up, they have easily accessible food and water from the day before.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan on giving your cockatiel food and then removing it from the cage as some people do for other pets such as cats and dogs. Birds have high metabolisms, so I really don't like the idea of set meal times.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
My birds are always okay with waiting as I like my sleep too. :) I always always ALWAYS leave food in the cage, even if it is a day old, it's better than nothing (I am talking about my conure's pellets and my canaries' seeds, not fresh fruits and veggies, don't leave those in overnight). If the birds get hungry before I wake up, they have easily accessible food and water from the day before.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you plan on giving your cockatiel food and then removing it from the cage as some people do for other pets such as cats and dogs. Birds have high metabolisms, so I really don't like the idea of set meal times.
Thank you. I am always going to have food available, because I find it unnatural to have only set times for food. And yes, it would be to change the old food, so it could wait. I guess I never thought of that, silly me! Anyway, thanks again! :)