• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel advice?

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
hello! I will soon (in a couple of months or so) be getting a cockatiel. I have a lot of questions yet, and where better of a place to ask than a forum full of bird owners?

Ok, so here is my condition: I myself have done a lot of research, and think that I am ready to adopt a bird. My grandma is completely on my side, having a cockatiel when my mom was growing up. (Fact I didn't know until recently; my great uncle actually bred cockatiels for a while! Sadly he doesn't anymore, otherwise I am sure my parents would of caved by now (haha). Anyway, my mom is coming around, and she decided that maybe I could. (Yee!) The only problem: my dad. He is completely and utterly against it. He says I am 'not responsible enough' sure, because being an owner of a cat, having start As, being in advanced classes and a TAG program (Talented And Gifted) and often care for my grandma's many cats (often around 30 farm cats) and my other grandma's dogs and canary (the canary once, since it is quite new). I have been doing extra chores lately, cleaning up for my cat extra, but it seems like my dad isn't noticing. I am trying to prove that I am responsible. Lucky for me, my grandma might have to let me get a bird without their permission if it comes to it (my mom is ok with it):evilsign:
Sorry for the rant, if that is what is seems like it is not meant to.

I do have a cage picked out, the Prevue Hendryx Flight cage F040. I also have a travel cage picked out, but forgot the brand. The place where the bird will be kept is in my bedroom, or if my dad allows it by the wall in our basement second living room. Since my room was recently remodeled, (meaning that we built it ourselves, from framing, to electrical, to drywall, etc) and the carpet is also very nice.
What is a good mat to use underneath the cage to protect the carpet? (I have heard of many things, but would like your opinions.)
I have everything in my new bedroom new from the paint, to the carpet, and even the bed. It is winter right now, and with me living in Iowa it is cold, so I cannot air out the room currently. Any thing that I could do to remove the harmful (toxins?) in the air?

•I will be adopting from a rescue when I get my tiel. I know the general healthy signs of a cockatiel, but what behaviors in them should I avoid? I am looking for a friendly companion that likes to give 'bird cuddles'.

Food suggestions? I will of course use the food the rescue was feeding it at first, so I don't stress it out too much, but eventually will transition it to a better quality food. (Pellets, seeds, and fresh veggies and fruits, along with the occasional snack of something else good for them)

•Should I purchase a clicker or flightsuit? I know clickers are often used for training, but I would like advice. As for the flight suits, it think it would be nice to have.

•Should I clip the wings or not? I knew everybody has a different opinion, but what are the pros and cons?

•any other suggestions for a new owner? (Or anything I forgot, haha) Any and all advice is appreciated! :D:tiel:

Well, :gn: .

Last edited:

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Also, any recommended toys? I know it depends on the bird, but any suggestions? Thanks again!

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hehe I'll be lurking in this thread, we'll both be new 'tiel owners soon :3

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Congrats on being a soon-to-be 'Tiel mama. You'll fall in love with their cute, feathered faces. :heart:
The cage you picked out offers plenty of room, so good choice. Good mats could just be a towel, or a office chair mat. Air purifiers are great for keeping the air clean, but it will help with your room just being painted. Thank you for deciding on a rescue bird, but keep in mind no matter what bird you choose(or rather, chooses you) they will most likely be skiddish. It's a new home, new person. Don't expect cuddles to come immediately, but look forward to them later on :)
Food wise, you have the right idea. Pellets and fresh food should make up most of the diet, seed and treats only a small portion. Good brands are Higgins, Zupreem, Harrison's, Lafeber's etc. The more green and orange the veg/fruit, the better nutritional wise. I personally keep my flock flighted, as I seem it unnecessary to take away their primary way of movement. It's always great exercise as well. But some clip for safety reasons, which depending on the bird, is needed. Just prepare to make up for exercise if you clip. Flight suits are personal choices, but you can try them once you develop trust with the little one. Clickers/Target training are great ways to teach tricks, and even basic ones like "Step Up" and "Fly To Me." Good luck with the future fid, post plenty of pictures and stories! If you ever need advice, don't hesitate to ask. :D
Also, toys. Shredders are always a hit, anything that can be easily destroyed. Balsa, vine balls/rings, paper, etc. Many also love acrylic as well, bells are usually a given.

Last edited:

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
I'll weigh in on the clipping issue. Buddy has a light clip, mostly because my mother-in-law barely tolerates her, and it's the best we can do for her given the circumstances. There are two dogs in the home, though, and we had a couple of close calls. Fortunately, the dogs have learned that Buddy is not a chew toy, and if she lands on the floor, they won't go after her. Needless to say, everyone is very carefully supervised.

You however, have a cat. Being a former cat owner, I know from personal experience that you can't supervise a cat, and cat + flightless bird is a recipe for heartbreak. Unless you can be sure that you can keep the two separated, I'd suggest you keep the bird flighted, and get a flight suit.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Congrats on being a soon-to-be 'Tiel mama. You'll fall in love with their cute, feathered faces. :heart:
The cage you picked out offers plenty of room, so good choice. Good mats could just be a towel, or a office chair mat. Air purifiers are great for keeping the air clean, but it will help with your room just being painted. Thank you for deciding on a rescue bird, but keep in mind no matter what bird you choose(or rather, chooses you) they will most likely be skiddish. It's a new home, new person. Don't expect cuddles to come immediately, but look forward to them later on :)
Food wise, you have the right idea. Pellets and fresh food should make up most of the diet, seed and treats only a small portion. Good brands are Higgins, Zupreem, Harrison's, Lafeber's etc. The more green and orange the veg/fruit, the better nutritional wise. I personally keep my flock flighted, as I seem it unnecessary to take away their primary way of movement. It's always great exercise as well. But some clip for safety reasons, which depending on the bird, is needed. Just prepare to make up for exercise if you clip. Flight suits are personal choices, but you can try them once you develop trust with the little one. Clickers/Target training are great ways to teach tricks, and even basic ones like "Step Up" and "Fly To Me." Good luck with the future fid, post plenty of pictures and stories! If you ever need advice, don't hesitate to ask. :D
Also, toys. Shredders are always a hit, anything that can be easily destroyed. Balsa, vine balls/rings, paper, etc. Many also love acrylic as well, bells are usually a given.
Thank you! This helped a lot! :D

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I'll weigh in on the clipping issue. Buddy has a light clip, mostly because my mother-in-law barely tolerates her, and it's the best we can do for her given the circumstances. There are two dogs in the home, though, and we had a couple of close calls. Fortunately, the dogs have learned that Buddy is not a chew toy, and if she lands on the floor, they won't go after her. Needless to say, everyone is very carefully supervised.

You however, have a cat. Being a former cat owner, I know from personal experience that you can't supervise a cat, and cat + flightless bird is a recipe for heartbreak. Unless you can be sure that you can keep the two separated, I'd suggest you keep the bird flighted, and get a flight suit.
Thank you. They will be separated. :)

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Hehe I'll be lurking in this thread, we'll both be new 'tiel owners soon :3
Yay! Haha, I am very excited. The advice given so far is great! Do you have any questions that I might of forgotten?

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. And congrats on being responsible enough for doing so much research prior to getting a bird. Tiels are wonderful little birds. I completely agree with @blewin about keeping your bird flighted, especially if you have a cat. I know you plan to keep them separated but accidents do happen. Plus, I think it's much better for a bird's mental and physical well being if they can fly. Instead of a flightsuit, you might want to look into a harness. I think they might be a little easier to get on. I'm also very happy that you want to get your tiel from a rescue. There are so many nice birds out there in need of good homes. I would say when the time comes, let the tiel pick you. They generally will if you let them. :) If you're getting your tiel from a reputable rescue they will hopefully have already have the tiels checked for any noticeable health issues. But clear eyes, no discharge from nares, nice feathers, active and not lethargic, are just some general good health indications. All new birds should have a health check up though. As for toys, my tiel likes anything he can easily shred- balsa, paper, etc.

One caution though- you are obviously a young person. Have you thought about what you're going to do when you're done with high school? Cockatiels can live a long time. My tiel is 19 and going strong. If you're going to go away to college, etc. is there someone what will care for your bird while you are gone? Taking a tiel with you to school often is not an option. Just something to think about.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Welcome to the forum. And congrats on being responsible enough for doing so much research prior to getting a bird. Tiels are wonderful little birds. I completely agree with @blewin about keeping your bird flighted, especially if you have a cat. I know you plan to keep them separated but accidents do happen. Plus, I think it's much better for a bird's mental and physical well being if they can fly. Instead of a flightsuit, you might want to look into a harness. I think they might be a little easier to get on. I'm also very happy that you want to get your tiel from a rescue. There are so many nice birds out there in need of good homes. I would say when the time comes, let the tiel pick you. They generally will if you let them. :) If you're getting your tiel from a reputable rescue they will hopefully have already have the tiels checked for any noticeable health issues. But clear eyes, no discharge from nares, nice feathers, active and not lethargic, are just some general good health indications. All new birds should have a health check up though. As for toys, my tiel likes anything he can easily shred- balsa, paper, etc.

One caution though- you are obviously a young person. Have you thought about what you're going to do when you're done with high school? Cockatiels can live a long time. My tiel is 19 and going strong. If you're going to go away to college, etc. is there someone what will care for your bird while you are gone? Taking a tiel with you to school often is not an option. Just something to think about.
Thank you! :D

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on becoming a tiel owner. I think they are the best little birds. You've already received some great advice, and it seems like you've done your homework. I'll just add a couple things.

When you get your bird make sure you give it 11 hours or more uninterrupted sleep a night. A dark, quiet room with blinds on the windows will help with night frights. Also, it's a good idea to cover the cage on three sides and have a small night light.

I worry about the fumes in your room. A good air purifier like Austin Air will help, but it would also be good if you could open the windows. Just make sure that there are absolutely no odors when you bring your bird home. Carpets can hold their odors for a long time.

One more thing. Like Sunnysmom mentioned, I think you should consider the future, and make sure you have a plan for your little friend for when you go to college.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Congratulations on becoming a tiel owner. I think they are the best little birds. You've already received some great advice, and it seems like you've done your homework. I'll just add a couple things.

When you get your bird make sure you give it 11 hours or more uninterrupted sleep a night. A dark, quiet room with blinds on the windows will help with night frights. Also, it's a good idea to cover the cage on three sides and have a small night light.

I worry about the fumes in your room. A good air purifier like Austin Air will help, but it would also be good if you could open the windows. Just make sure that there are absolutely no odors when you bring your bird home. Carpets can hold their odors for a long time.

One more thing. Like Sunnysmom mentioned, I think you should consider the future, and make sure you have a plan for your little friend for when you go to college.
Thank you! :D I will ask my mom about an air purifier, and be sure to do that. As for later in my life, during college, my mom said either her or my grandma is willing to care for it. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
One more item to check. You will need an avian vet for wellness checks and possible injuries or illness. Suggest allocate one prior to getting a bird.

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
One more item to check. You will need an avian vet for wellness checks and possible injuries or illness. Suggest allocate one prior to getting a bird.
Yes, I have found one. My mom's friend owns a cockatiel and the vet she takes her cockatiel to isn't too far from our house. :) (we live in a small town so the only vet is about 30 minutes away, in a larger city)