• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can Good Breeders Be Found at Bird Fairs?

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
I am glad that I posed the original question because this is something that many do consider. I think it makes for good discussion and gives us all an education to get the conversation going. Yes there are concerns and it is true that there are many sides to the story. Obviously there is a demand that feeds the fairs.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I think what it comes down to is personal choice...I choose not to do certain things as I think it is a greater risk than others...other people may choose different options. And that is ok. I think we just all need to be informed of all risks in caring for birds and make our own decisions.
Absolutely! Great post!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

NikkiCat

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
I do not have an opinion, because I do not have any birds myself. However I found this thread very interesting.
I will say that I have been to bird fairs. For me, it was great to talk to people and be able to hold birds. It was a great learning experience. If it wasn't for bird fairs, I wouldn't have been able to touch certain birds and ask some of my many questions. Otherwise, all i have access to are pet stores with birds. Those birds are never nice, and I always get bit. (I went to TASC Midwest Bird Show in Chicago)
How else can I meet birds? The ones I am interested in are rare.
Would you think it was creepy if I PM'd one of you guys in the Chicago area and asked to met your birds? I'm on the fence about that, and haven't done it. Just a question.
Interesting topic nonetheless.
EDIT: I meant I'm on the fence about it being creepy, I can write, honestly lol. I won't pm someone that. Maybe it isn't creepy....more...overenthusiastic? :/

Last edited:

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Would you think it was creepy if I PM'd one of you guys in the Chicago area and asked to met your birds?
lol, I'm not sure if "creepy" comes to mind, but I might raise an eyebrow if that were the only thing I ever got in the PM :lol:
On the other hand, if someone started off by pm'ing me and asking me about a particular species because they knew I owned one and wanted my "expert advice," and started conversations there, I would certainly oblige. Once the flow of communication is open and it sounds like the person is pretty interested, I might even invite them over myself.
If I were the one looking to meet a bird, I'd probably more likely ask the person if they "know of anywhere in the area that I could go and possibly meet said species...." That would give them an option to politely say "not here," or allow them the opportunity to invite you should they want, instead of having you invite yourself. Who knows, maybe they'd know of a really great place where you can meet more than just one of said species... :hug8:

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
I have never bought a bird at a bird fair , not that I have seen some very nice healthy birds at the one I attend, I only attend one bird fair a year it's real close to me about a 15 minute drive and I go to buy bird toys and I only buy from 2 vendors their,they both have great prices and awsome toys , one of the vendors does not have any birds and the other one has sun conure I think , but they toys I buy are cleaned as soon as I bring them home and the birds don't get them for a week or 2 , I also hit the shower and change clothes before I touch any of my birds

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I do not have an opinion, because I do not have any birds myself. However I found this thread very interesting.
I will say that I have been to bird fairs. For me, it was great to talk to people and be able to hold birds. It was a great learning experience. If it wasn't for bird fairs, I wouldn't have been able to touch certain birds and ask some of my many questions. Otherwise, all i have access to are pet stores with birds. Those birds are never nice, and I always get bit. (I went to TASC Midwest Bird Show in Chicago)
How else can I meet birds? The ones I am interested in are rare.
Would you think it was creepy if I PM'd one of you guys in the Chicago area and asked to met your birds? I'm on the fence about that, and haven't done it. Just a question.
Interesting topic nonetheless.
EDIT: I meant I'm on the fence about it being creepy, I can write, honestly lol. I won't pm someone that. Maybe it isn't creepy....more...overenthusiastic? :/
I'm in Madison, WI and probably wouldn't have an issue with you visiting once I got to know a bit more about you. What kind of birds are you considering? Some breeders don't have issues with you visiting their aviary and playing with the babies they currently have.

I went to TASC and have to say that the highlight of the trip was being able to hold and interact with a Major Mitchell and I almost walked away with an 8 year old Rosie hen but then reality hit me and I knew it was a horrible idea. It is fun to play with the birds at the bird fairs but the chance of disease just scares the beejeebers out of me. I also like to know more about my breeder than just walking into a fair and purchasing a bird, but that's just me.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Well, IMO, breeders at the bird fair have one goal, and one goal only, to sell their birds. They most generally DO NOT educate the buyer on how truly life changing being owned by a parrot really is. They don't tell you that the sweet cuddly widdle bit of fluff you are going to bring home will grow up to be a happy (hopefully) screaming, biting, destructo bird who will test every fiber of your being. They don't tell you that you need to continue to hand feed the bigger parrots who need that comfort, they usually have chopped off their wings so that they are docile and dependent, they don't tell you about disease and how expensive it is to feed, house, vet and buy toys for your bird. I have never met a breeder at one of those fairs who tells the prospective parent a darn thing that is really useful.

Ginger

scorpian5

Moving in
So from what has been posted here most of you are against bird fairs and breeders who sell at them. Has anyone here gotten a bird at a fair that turned out to be sick?

jerseybella

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
I just lost my grey to PDD. Did not get him at a fair but, a store. Lesson learned, and it was a hard one.

So from what has been posted here most of you are against bird fairs and breeders who sell at them. Has anyone here gotten a bird at a fair that turned out to be sick?

southernbirds

I bought a canary at a bird fair and he was healthy. I found that most of the people were invested in their stock and will engage you in conversation. While I agree that there should be more disclosure about buying any pet, it is still the responsibility of the buyer to ask questions and be a knowledgeable consumer. If you question people you will get answers but do your homework before you go. You will enjoy the visit more.

NikkiCat

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
rikkitikki:Ha ha, I totally understand what you are saying and would have to agree. You would never want to force someone into doing something.
jmfleish: The birds I am considering is a Phyhurra conure, a Crimson Bellied Conure. I have met and held Green Cheeks, but never a Crimson Belly. I have heard they are a bit more laid back. Also a Green Aracari and one day in the future perhaps a Red Fronted Macaw. I have interacted only with Blue and Golds, but I am looking for a smaller species. I really like the breeder idea. I know some aviaries are closed. But I wouldn't want to waste the breeders time because I am not ready to buy, you know?
suncoast: You raise a very valid point, but in my opinion if you are really serious about being a good bird owner, you won't just listen to what one person says and immediately buy a bird. The potential bird owner has a responsibility too, not just the breeder!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
With all due respect, it IS the breeder's responsibility to find the very best home for the life s/he brought into the world to make money off of. It is the breeders responsibility to make sure that they screen and educate whomever is going to give that living creature a home for the next 10 years for the little guys and 50 to 60 years for the big guys. Why do you think they go to the fairs? They go to SELL. They are there to make money. I have seen them sell unweaned baby Too's, and sick baby Macaws. I have seen all kinds of the little birds, crammed into tiny cages, sick and silent from fear. These breeders don't give a darn about the birds, there only concern is their bottom line. All you have to do is look on CL and Petfinder and in shelters and sanctuaries to see that there are millions of birds who have been abused and rehomed and abandoned because the sweet, cuddley white/green/blue/red ball of feathers that you bought at the bird fair grew up into a mature, screaming, chewing, expensive, hormonal biting creature of the air.

There are some wonderful breeders out there, Trinket came from a loving breeder, but they are far and few inbetween. They need to be regulated by law IMO.

Ginger

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
No, but I've seen enough other people go through the pain of that very instance to know that it happens. For a while, our local bird fair had issues with Polyoma...it's just not a good situation.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
rikkitikki:Ha ha, I totally understand what you are saying and would have to agree. You would never want to force someone into doing something.
jmfleish: The birds I am considering is a Phyhurra conure, a Crimson Bellied Conure. I have met and held Green Cheeks, but never a Crimson Belly. I have heard they are a bit more laid back. Also a Green Aracari and one day in the future perhaps a Red Fronted Macaw. I have interacted only with Blue and Golds, but I am looking for a smaller species. I really like the breeder idea. I know some aviaries are closed. But I wouldn't want to waste the breeders time because I am not ready to buy, you know?
suncoast: You raise a very valid point, but in my opinion if you are really serious about being a good bird owner, you won't just listen to what one person says and immediately buy a bird. The potential bird owner has a responsibility too, not just the breeder!
You might want to see if there's a rescue near you where you can go and visit many different birds or even volunteer. I know that's where I got a lot of the knowledge about birds that I now possess and it was a great way to meet so many different species and really get to know them.

I also don't think most breeders mind if you email them and ask questions. The best relationship that I've ever had was with my Ekkie breeder whom I've known for years. She knows me and knows my flock and if I were ever to get another bird from her, I think she wouldn't have any difficulty choosing from the babies to get the personality that would fit me best as well as my flock's dynamics.

For me, there are too many diseases that a bird can carry without ever showing any symptoms and the biggest and scariest one, PDD, cannot even be tested for in live birds. It's not worth the risk.

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
I just sat here and read through the thread and I just want to make a few comments.
I have been to bird shows and have saw and talked with some of the top breeders around, and would not hesitate to buy from them.
And I have also been to breeders houses that had so much poop in the cages that it was coming up under the grate and coming through it.
AND I know of someone that her bird was never around other birds, she would not go to shows, or take her bird anywhere. When the bird was 15 it caught it's toe on a toy and she took it to a vet. The toe healed just fine and 7 months later the bird died. She did a neocropsy and it had PDD. The only way it would have gotten was at the vets.
To confirm this she asked another person that worked at the vet (and was a friend) who had came in that day and for what purpose. After doing research there had been a bird brought in the previous day that was also diagnosed with PDD. Tables were sanitized and every thing is 'suppose' to be cleaned and safe before the next customer (or should I say victim) comes in.
So, IMO disease can be picked up anywhere. I've never heard of disease at any bird show, fair, mart, etc in any of the ones I go to, and some are huge, out of state fairs.
And yes there are bad breeders there, and there are also bad breeders anywhere you look. And there are good breeders there also.
I was at one show and there was an unweaned goffin there. I inquired about it and was told that the breeder had brought it to the show for one of her friends, that handfeeds all the time, to pick up.
Not all breeders are bad like most of you try to point out.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award

Not all breeders are bad like most of you try to point out.
Actually I don't believe all breeders are bad. I've got a breeder to thank and :hug8: for every single one of my fiddos!!

There's good and bad in everything, it is up to us, the "consumer", to do our research before making a purchase. Whether it be a car, a washing machine .. and yes .. a new pet. It is our responsibility to check out who we purchase from and their reputation in their respective business.

JMHO.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Tammie, I am only speaking on what I've personally seen and experienced at the shows in Florida. I stopped going because it disturbed me. I know there are good breeders because Trinket came from True Love Aviary and you couldn't have asked for a more loving, caring, vetting honest, great breeder than them.

I have not met anyone here in Florida like that and I looked for over two years to find another Lovie to give a home to.

No one is saying that your a bad breeder. You seem to be an exception to the rule. That makes me very happy.

Just a couple of weeks ago a breeder posted on here about their birds and to my knowledge never posted again after we asked them about how they raised, weaned, fledged and vetted their birds.

BTW did you ever get the DNA back on that pretty little goffin?

Ginger

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
Thanks Merlie and Ginger!! I try to do my best with my birds.
Yes Ginger the goffin was a female and it has been sold to a wonderful older guy!! He is retired and wanted a friend (other than his wife). He has sent me tons of photos, and calls for advice and to just talk.