• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can Good Breeders Be Found at Bird Fairs?

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
I have often wondered with all the discussion about bird fairs if any of you have had good or bad experiences with your live purchases. I once bought a canary at a fair and he was fine, but since then I have grown wary of ever doing that again with all that I read on forums. Once I saw a bird store buying some large toys at the fair, and I thought I would not go to that store again. So what do do think? Are we being fair to the fair?

HungryBird

I would not buy a bird from a breeder who did that. I'm sure someone here can help you find a great breeder. Just make sure to pick someone sane. I feel that money should only be given to good breeders, breeders that take good care of their birds. I don't like breeders who keep their birds in breeding cages (way too small for any bird) or who feed inferior foods to their breeding stock but not to their personal pets.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Yes there are! and I'm not just saying that because I've sold a couple birds at a bird fair and I'm not the demon every one makes them out to be

there is good and bad EVERY WHERE!! so the place has nothing what so ever to do with the person!

and I've gotten many birds from bird fairs and all were fine!

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Generally, you won't find truly quality breeders at a bird fair.

A good breeder would never put it's babies, and the rest of their birds, <breeding stock/pets> at risk for disease, which are very present at bird fairs.

I know of two breeders in my area that do attend the fairs, but neither bring birds, one breeder has a bird only store and they go to the shows to sell merchandise. They often have pics. of the babies available, but the birds are not available to purchase at the fair.

The other breeder has a computer set up showing videos of the babies available and the parents, but again, no babies available to purchase as the show.

Mostly, what I see at bird fairs/shows are lots of "backyard/hobby" breeders .. focus being on the smaller birds .. budgies/keets, tiels, quakers .. etc. I really have issues with most of these people, as you can just tell the birds are nothing more than $$$ .. they just want to sell, and really don't care to whom. Not to mention, with so many of these smaller birds flooding CL/Kijiji/Hoobly/Rescues .. etc. for rehome, it makes me sick to my stomach that there are breeders still breeding so many of them.

I did purchase a bird from a fair once, it was a huge impulse purchase, I got lucky and the bird was healthy .. but I will never, never again take that chance and bring home a bird from a fair again.

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
I'm curious to know others' bad experiences from getting birds from a fair.
If birds were able to be vaccinated from the diseases that are cause for concern, would it then be a different story, more like dog shows and cat shows? (here to learn)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I dont consider a good breeder (even if they do take very well great care of their birds, houses them good, etc) a breeder that would bring babies or birds to a fair.

1) the list of disease that very well could be at that fair and spread is there
2) its stresses the birds out

Tinytoez

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tammy
I used to go to bird fairs quite a bit, mainly to get cheap bowls for food but we have made bird purchases on a few occasions, none of which were my idea I have to say.
The first was our 4 Chinese Painted Quail, they were healthy and about 6 weeks old, and went straight into the avriary outside, at the same fair I spotted my first ever Quaker, I went and spoke to the gent who had it on his stall, he had a breeding pair back home and kept trying to make me buy them as they would "make me money", I told him I wanted a Quaker as my first parrot and wasnt interested in breeding, so he also offered me a disabled one cheaper which I also told him I didnt feel ready for, so we swapped mobile numbers as he had some eggs but he was very bad at replying to me, so by the time he did, I already had Indy.
Then we got our male IRN, but we went to a fair and spoke to a well known breeder who didnt actually have any parrots at the fair, just a few small finches, we arranged to go to his house, he had quite a few avriarys and was very knowledgable, we collected him from there. Our Kakarikis were from a fair too, and we have had no problems with them.
I would say personally I dont think I would buy a parrot from a bird fair that I wanted to live indoors as my choice, but they can be a good place to make contacts.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm curious to know others' bad experiences from getting birds from a fair.
If birds were able to be vaccinated from the diseases that are cause for concern, would it then be a different story, more like dog shows and cat shows? (here to learn)
Erika ..

I think if there were vaccinations for birds, that protected them from the deadly birdie diseases, it would be different. Unfortunately, as of right now, even diagnosing some of those diseases is extremely difficult, and there is no vaccination .. and no cure.

My problem with bird fairs is multi level .. many people buy on impulse, they see this cute bird and whammo, are in love, and take it home. They often don't realize they've gotten more than they bargained for.

I think the truly reputable breeders want to be sure the buyer has researched the species, is prepared for what's to come, what's involved .. etc. The truly reputable breeder wants to know what kind of a home their baby is going to. You just can't "screen" people well at a fair. The truly reputable breeder would not risk exposing their flock.

Again .. biggest issue is disease .. they take their birds to this fair where there are hundreds of other birds. Whatever birds they don't sell, go back with them, but have already been exposed, and in all likelihood, will expose the rest of the birds that breeder has .. it's a viscous cycle.

I'll maintain my position, it's mostly the backyard/hobby breeders, out to make fast/easy money that sell thru bird fairs. I'm not saying they're "bad" people, they just have no other outlet to sell besides a fair.

When I purchased the one bird at the fair, the people could have cared less what I knew or didn't know .. they got their money, handed her over and moved on to the next customer.

These are the people that will breed no matter what, whether they can find homes or not. They don't care that rescues are flooded, they don't care that everyday, there are more and more ads for rehome birds .. they just want to make their money .. sell birds .. that odds are will be rehomed at some point, or worse.

Sigh :(

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I bought Jasper from a breeder who frequents our local bird fair. I wouldnt hesitate to purchase from her again. The breeder I bought Tango from also goes to the bird fairs but doesnt bring her babies with she just advertises them there.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
IMO, there is nothing quite so sad and disturbing as seeing those birds so scared and some sick at bird fairs. I would NEVER buy a bird there, nor buy from a breeder who would subject their babies to that stress.

Ginger

*K*J*B*

Real Name
Kylee
I did not get Ezzie (Hahns) at a bird fair, but I did meet her breeder there. I also did not get her from the breeder though. She was a CL rehome and when I was talking to the lady about her coming to live with me, I told her I met my first Hahns about a month prior at a bird fair and fell in love. We started chatting about that and discovered that she was from the same breeder I had met at the fair. I believe it was fate that brought my Ezzie into our home and hearts.

There were all sorts of breeders at that fair. Judging by feather condition and cages, there were some I'd probably buy from and some I absolutely would not.

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Erika ..

I think if there were vaccinations for birds, that protected them from the deadly birdie diseases, it would be different. Unfortunately, as of right now, even diagnosing some of those diseases is extremely difficult, and there is no vaccination .. and no cure.

My problem with bird fairs is multi level .. many people buy on impulse, they see this cute bird and whammo, are in love, and take it home. They often don't realize they've gotten more than they bargained for.

I think the truly reputable breeders want to be sure the buyer has researched the species, is prepared for what's to come, what's involved .. etc. The truly reputable breeder wants to know what kind of a home their baby is going to. You just can't "screen" people well at a fair. The truly reputable breeder would not risk exposing their flock.

Again .. biggest issue is disease .. they take their birds to this fair where there are hundreds of other birds. Whatever birds they don't sell, go back with them, but have already been exposed, and in all likelihood, will expose the rest of the birds that breeder has .. it's a viscous cycle.

I'll maintain my position, it's mostly the backyard/hobby breeders, out to make fast/easy money that sell thru bird fairs. I'm not saying they're "bad" people, they just have no other outlet to sell besides a fair.

When I purchased the one bird at the fair, the people could have cared less what I knew or didn't know .. they got their money, handed her over and moved on to the next customer.

These are the people that will breed no matter what, whether they can find homes or not. They don't care that rescues are flooded, they don't care that everyday, there are more and more ads for rehome birds .. they just want to make their money .. sell birds .. that odds are will be rehomed at some point, or worse.

Sigh :(

Thanks Merlie.
I'm really beginning to feel silly making the connections I am (with dogs - I keep doing it), but to have something to compare it to is to understand (in one sense or another)...
I didn't realize that people went home from the bird fair with live birds. I have been to two bird fairs and I guess I didn't notice anyone leaving with a bird, though I think that's just my lack of common sense or wanting to believe (ugh, I know, why in the heck would the birds have been there in the first place... :shrug3:)
Anyway, after reading historical books on dog breeds and their history, I see what seem to be parallels between the way dog shows were run in the late 1800's to bird fairs of today. There has obviously been many advances in the canine world in so many facets, I can only imagine that the bird world would be moving in that same direction (with even greater, faster advances due to technology and the likes). With growing interest in birds comes better medical research which in turn leads to greater preventative care in avian medicine and general care overall (I think?). I hope eventually, in the not so distant future the disease concerns of today will be a thing of the past. It almost seems to me that we're either in the midst, or on the brink of a pet bird revolution. :huh:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I just love people who say "hobby breeders go to bird fairs to make a fast buck"

let me inform you on a little something
I sell my parakeets parent raised at my house for $10 I sell them at a bird fair for $10
Hand fed parakeets I sell out of my home for $20 bird fair $20
EVERY bird I sell at a bird fair I sell for the same price as I sell out of my own
how is that making a quick buck?
do you think getting a 8' table at a bird fair is cheap?
NO both I went to was $50 for the table! not including the 50 some dollars in gas to get there that alone is over $100 to make MAYBE if i was lucky $40 bucks!

YA REALLY MADE SOME MONEY DIDN'T I

and I'm really getting sick of people putting "back yard breeders" and "hobby Breeders" in the same dang category!

sorry if I give my birds everything under the sun and more than most people can only wish to do. and I take them to bird fairs to sell when I have enough even though I make NO money doing so!

So instead of just researching the POSSIBLE disease that could be there, how about researching how much money people lose out by paying to go set up at a bird fair
Maybe people with more expensive birds make enough to break even But I loose my a$$ in fees compared to what I make selling a 10/20 dollar bird that I sell for 10 or 20 dollars out of my house too

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
From my experience, any good breeder has a waiting list.

It might seem harsh, but IMO, breeders who pawn their birds off at bird fairs seem to be the shady, backyard-type breeders who are just there to make a quick buck.

Good, responsible, knowledgable breeders take time to educate & question potential owners of their babies, and you can't do that if you're selling them off at a bird fair to anyone who walks in with enough cash. That's why breeders like this are in high demand and usually always have a waiting list.

Sorry if I've offended anybody, just my experience.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
From my experience, any good breeder has a waiting list.

It might seem harsh, but IMO, breeders who pawn their birds off at bird fairs seem to be the shady, backyard-type breeders who are just there to make a quick buck.

Good, responsible, knowledgable breeders take time to educate & question potential owners of their babies, and you can't do that if you're selling them off at a bird fair to anyone who walks in with enough cash. That's why breeders like this are in high demand and usually always have a waiting list.

Sorry if I've offended anybody, just my experience.

guess that is why i'm not a normal "breeder" I actually spent well over 2 hrs at a bird fair Talking to a person interested in one of my babies I was hand feeding at the time, I didn't take them to sell them I took them because they were still being fed every 4 hrs and I was no where near home to keep going home and feeding them. I asked questions as did she, By the end of our conversation She was giving me her Email and put a deposit down on the baby!

I always educate the people buying my birds

but what people don't seem to understand. You don't come across non bird people at a bird fair unless they came along for the ride with some one who is a bird person, I've never seen any one at a bird fair NOT own birds, and not know about birds. they don't go just to go! I never heard of a bird fair or ever been to one before I ever got my 1st bird from a pet shop!

But What ever , every one is going to keep putting all breeders down who sell at a bird fair but I'll keep stating no we all don't make a quick buck It costs to set up it's not cheap, cost to get there- gas isn't free. and If you only sell 1-4 birds at 10 to 20 dollars each your not coming out making anything your just being buried in a hole

but what ever keep telling every one at bird fairs that are selling birds are evil people and I'll keep going and proving it wrong

at least I don't go around saying these so called "bird safe stores" selling COPPER toys are evil! and yes there are several right here on this forum who sell COPPER Cow bells and are supposed to be all about bird safe toys and not sell harmful toys :rolleyes:

guess every one forgets Copper is toxic to birds!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I am sure there are some breeders that go to bird fairs that are not good breeders. I dont feel it is fair to lump all of them in the same category. I have met at least three very good breeders that really do care about their birds at our local bird fair. 2 of them I have been in there homes on more than one occasion and I know that they take wonderful care of their birds just like everyone here does. The other one I have spent a lot of time talking to him it is evident in his enthusiasm and knowledge that he knows what he is doing and how to take care of his birds. I really think sweeping generalizations are very uncalled for.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
You cannot lump everyone together. Also, not all bird fairs are the same. The one we go to in May the TASC Expo is a good one. All birds that enter need to be vet checked prior. No outside birds allowed in.

I met my Linnie breeder at a bird fair. I didn't get a bird from her then and there but I later came back to her. She's AMAZING. Her birds are treated so well and are so loved. She's definitely not what some of you are associating with "bird fair breeders"

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I just love people who say "hobby breeders go to bird fairs to make a fast buck"

let me inform you on a little something
I sell my parakeets parent raised at my house for $10 I sell them at a bird fair for $10
Hand fed parakeets I sell out of my home for $20 bird fair $20
EVERY bird I sell at a bird fair I sell for the same price as I sell out of my own
how is that making a quick buck?
do you think getting a 8' table at a bird fair is cheap?
NO both I went to was $50 for the table! not including the 50 some dollars in gas to get there that alone is over $100 to make MAYBE if i was lucky $40 bucks!

YA REALLY MADE SOME MONEY DIDN'T I

and I'm really getting sick of people putting "back yard breeders" and "hobby Breeders" in the same dang category!

sorry if I give my birds everything under the sun and more than most people can only wish to do. and I take them to bird fairs to sell when I have enough even though I make NO money doing so!

So instead of just researching the POSSIBLE disease that could be there, how about researching how much money people lose out by paying to go set up at a bird fair
Maybe people with more expensive birds make enough to break even But I loose my a$$ in fees compared to what I make selling a 10/20 dollar bird that I sell for 10 or 20 dollars out of my house too
Please enlighten me. Why do you do it then? Because of the severe pet bird shortage out there???

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
You cannot lump everyone together. Also, not all bird fairs are the same. The one we go to in May the TASC Expo is a good one. All birds that enter need to be vet checked prior. No outside birds allowed in.

I met my Linnie breeder at a bird fair. I didn't get a bird from her then and there but I later came back to her. She's AMAZING. Her birds are treated so well and are so loved. She's definitely not what some of you are associating with "bird fair breeders"
Thanks for the input Joanna. My experiences, limited as they are didn't seem the extreme of what has been described, though I chalked it up to my lack of knowledge.

We did meet one breeder at the last fair that gave us lots of information including printouts from websites such as avianweb and landofvos, articles about specialized diets, and potential health concerns. I was impressed that they did stress the work it takes to properly care for any bird. She did give us her card to contact her if we chose, but only after I asked her for it, she was definitely not trying to sell me a bird, seemed she was more trying to educate. :)
Should I choose to go with her species, I would definitely contact her again to talk more and see if a bird from her would indeed be a good fit in my home.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Don't get me wrong, I've seen the bad stuff too. I've seen unweaned babies and bad conditions. TONS of birds that haven't found homes for months and months.

But I 100% believe that you CAN find a good breeder. You just need to do some research. You need to be critical. You need to be aware.