• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Calling out all Michigan AA members, and anyone else interested. 100 rescued parrots !!!!

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
My son lives in Battle Creek. I live about 2 hours away. I put in an app too. I couldn't adopt a smaller bird, but I do have a huge beautiful macaw cage. I don't know if they'll approve me since I have 4 babies, but I'm willing to offer a very soft landing to a birdie in need. They showed the rescue again tonight on the news and I wanted to cry! The neglect is just shocking.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
What do they want in the video? The whole house and property or just the aviary room? Should I power wash their cages again (I generally do it monthly)? I've never "auditioned" like this before and want to do it right!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
@Mizzely some are asking about the 11 birds that died. I can't find the thread!

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
What do they want in the video? The whole house and property or just the aviary room? Should I power wash their cages again (I generally do it monthly)? I've never "auditioned" like this before and want to do it right!
I showed them the main living areas, I figured they didn't need to see the upstairs which is bird free mostly. I also showed them my birds and cages. I changed the papers that morning and vacuumed the night before, so they were clean, but not obsessively so. I of course cleaned up the house too, but I had some dishes on the counter, and Ellen was running around making a mess with her toys the whole time. Lol But I narrated the whole video 'this is the kitchen, over here is where Tikki likes to sit. He's 7 months old and is a jerk and we love him. Here's Tootie in the living room, we can't touch him, but he's perfect...' I was told they appreciated my honesty, especially about having a baby literally any day! I'm sure they're not looking for perfection, but a normal home with well kept birds. I'm sure you'll ace it all!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Shannon made a lot of waves because she blamed food for the deaths of the birds long after being told it wasn't the food. She lost a lot of credibility when that happened. I think she still believes it was the food; I don't know what it really was. However, I DO know that everytime there is a large hoarding case in our state, Birds and Beaks's rescue is the first one they call and she finds them homes.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I don't know if the person, I think her name is Shannon, has something shady going on and would warn everyone not to jump to conclusions just because of something she said / he said from another forum. I watched the video and frankly she can't be all bad to take on this humongous task. She seems to have the support of 2 vets and the animal control office so far and also seems to be trying her best to find homes. I think it wise to concentrate on the birds for now, if someone can take one and provide a good home...great, if not I think people need to sit back and see how things unfold. I would hate the process of helping these birds be muddled. If someone has issues maybe they can take it up with animal control instead of creating suspicion that would keep people from actually helping.
P.S
I just looked it up and now I remember I had read all about the birds. NOTHING I read lead me to believe this woman did a dang thing wrong. I remember she fought hard to find out if it was the food, worked closely with toxicologist etc. In my opinion people need to fall back and not risk damaging an innocent persons reputation PLUS keep people from rehoming these dear birds. Note to moderators: I would close this thread to future posts, start an update thread on the birds and make a note to not allow overflow gossip from other forums. Sorry if this angers people

Regardless of the bull s*** that was said about this rescue....put it aside.
You have many birds here needing homes soon. Are we going to let the birds suffer because of someone's bickering about crap they heard????
Let's deal with the birds first.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I mean, I don't really think saying "hey heads up there could be a safety issue here so be cautious" is meaningless bickering but to each their own. I want to see them all get homes too but more than that I don't want to see MORE birds endangered if people get told misinformation about what's been done medically etc. That's my only point in expressing concern.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I showed them the main living areas, I figured they didn't need to see the upstairs which is bird free mostly. I also showed them my birds and cages. I changed the papers that morning and vacuumed the night before, so they were clean, but not obsessively so. I of course cleaned up the house too, but I had some dishes on the counter, and Ellen was running around making a mess with her toys the whole time. Lol But I narrated the whole video 'this is the kitchen, over here is where Tikki likes to sit. He's 7 months old and is a jerk and we love him. Here's Tootie in the living room, we can't touch him, but he's perfect...' I was told they appreciated my honesty, especially about having a baby literally any day! I'm sure they're not looking for perfection, but a normal home with well kept birds. I'm sure you'll ace it all!
Off topic... but I wanted to wish you all of God's Blessings when the new baby comes into the world!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Thanks Chelsea. I appreciate your help and suggestions. Every morning I tidy up, wipe off droppings, and sweep up. Each weekend I vacuum the whole room, wet wash the cages, climbing gear, and toys. Then monthly I power wash each cage outside on the patio. I could do all of the above daily and an hour later it always looks like I never even bothered! My babies never have their cage doors closed and seem to very much enjoy trashing the room as quickly as possible! Lol

How long was your video? I mean are we talking feature film or 5 - 10 minute overview?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I mean, I don't really think saying "hey heads up there could be a safety issue here so be cautious" is meaningless bickering but to each their own. I want to see them all get homes too but more than that I don't want to see MORE birds endangered if people get told misinformation about what's been done medically etc. That's my only point in expressing concern.

I would just ask for the vet paperwork so you have it for when you do your own vetting later down the line :) I've adopted one rescue and was given the vet paperwork as part of the transaction.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Mizzely some are asking about the 11 birds that died. I can't find the thread!
I think we should worry about the birds first than some article of hearsay.
I've helped in rescues in past let me tell you, it's stressful. You want to save them all, and like this woman at rescue, you leave no bird behind.
Sure there is going to be sick birds, there's going to be those that die, we take the blame, but dammit, we try very hard. Money or no money.
They try....that's the whole point! That's what a rescue is...the public is involved.
If you want the perfect bird, for heavens sake go buy one....if you can look past what rescued birds have gone through, (ie..sickness, malnutrition, injuries, the list goes on and on) but public wants a perfect bird, blames the rescue when it's not.
We that rescue birds are not God, we are people with hearts that want to give the birds a chance at good life. Sometimes like in this case, Shannon gets overwhelmed. Yea it's a lot of birds to run through a vet, and a 100 birds can create a huge vet bill.
I say to people that comment about the rescues...ride along sometime, see it first hand, spend a few days at the rescue. Then let's hear the comments.
I say to those that comment about how they are run, If it's a big concern, open your wallets and help, or step aside and zip it.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would just ask for the vet paperwork so you have it for when you do your own vetting later down the line :) I've adopted one rescue and was given the vet paperwork as part of the transaction.
Yes, same. But I'd see it as a very big red flag if that doesn't happen for whatever reason. Like, I'm saying this stuff as someone who works closely with a rescue, I'm not just being a random elitist. ‍:facepalm:

ETA: @Hawk12237 I do all those things, so i get to have an opinion. I'm trying to use my experience in rescue to help less experienced folks be involved safely. Part of that is raising concerns when I have them.

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
They are not a vet, we don't play god...we help get them out of bad situations. Or they die where they were at. it's that simple! Rescues are not always like store or a vet... Donations help with vet care. It's non profit. Money brought in goes right back into care. When there's a large number like a hundred birds, the vet bill will be astronomical. That kind of money is not always on hand.