• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Calling out all Michigan AA members, and anyone else interested. 100 rescued parrots !!!!

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
I'll bump again too, to say that I'm going to set up a phone call with the woman caring for the Lorikeet to discuss what his personality seems to be like, etc. I'm not afraid of the diet, the poops, the crazy antics..Just wondering how tame or wild he is, and how he has interacted with the other birds so far. Of course, his time with those birds is no guarantee for how he'd be with ours, but I figure it's worth a chat. My husband is also concerned that they're going to charge an astronomical adoption fee because he's a Lorikeet, so hopefully that's not the case. If he comes with a cage or has been vetted already, that makes a huge difference, since we have spent $300 on testing for each bird when they come home, so a $350 or $400 adoption fee if he's fully vetted already isn't actually too bad.
Plus, my husband's reaction wasn't what I hoped for. He didn't expect that we'd get approved for a bird apparently, and is now afraid of getting this far and having to walk away if they want $450 - $500 for the bird. I'm hoping to get more answers tomorrow. Until then, I'll be reading literally every posting in the Lorikeet section, and if money truely is a problem, then I guess we need to see if a different species is offered to us.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Any ideas if there will be fundraising for this situation. I tend to give to animal charities every few weeks so I would be willing to help them out. I may be from Texas but Michigan will always be where my heart is.
There is...on there face book page they are selling bracelets for the cause and all money goes towards vet bill, and food for all these poor birds. The bracelets are 5-10 dollars. There is other items too.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'll bump again too, to say that I'm going to set up a phone call with the woman caring for the Lorikeet to discuss what his personality seems to be like, etc. I'm not afraid of the diet, the poops, the crazy antics..Just wondering how tame or wild he is, and how he has interacted with the other birds so far. Of course, his time with those birds is no guarantee for how he'd be with ours, but I figure it's worth a chat. My husband is also concerned that they're going to charge an astronomical adoption fee because he's a Lorikeet, so hopefully that's not the case. If he comes with a cage or has been vetted already, that makes a huge difference, since we have spent $300 on testing for each bird when they come home, so a $350 or $400 adoption fee if he's fully vetted already isn't actually too bad.
Plus, my husband's reaction wasn't what I hoped for. He didn't expect that we'd get approved for a bird apparently, and is now afraid of getting this far and having to walk away if they want $450 - $500 for the bird. I'm hoping to get more answers tomorrow. Until then, I'll be reading literally every posting in the Lorikeet section, and if money truely is a problem, then I guess we need to see if a different species is offered to us.

I believe it's between 100-250 for lorikeet.
The macaws are 500 adoption fee.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
@Hawk12237 That doesn't seem like a long time to sort through 100 something birds, but I guess if you have any sort of idea what you're NOT interested in, that would help to narrow it down. I know I don't need to meet the ten thousand finches, etc, so that leave time to focus on what we'd really like, which is a medium sized bird. No Macaws with little kids in the house for us lol
They have visitation to see birds from 5-7, 2 hours. By appointment of application for adoption is approved. They are straightforward.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
She just did a live video of every bird she has in Battle Creek..
Cockatiels
Keets
Budgies
Lovebirds
Finches
Nanday
Pineapple Conure
IRN
Parrolets
Quakers
Macaws
Amazons
Cockatoos
Senegals

Then Nancee in GR has Grey's, DYH Amazon, Severe Macaw, and the Lorikeet. We're going to chat on the phone tomorrow. These women must be exhausted!

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Are there any posts or resources on the forum regarding the specific needs of birds adopted from abuse/neglect?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Are there any posts or resources on the forum regarding the specific needs of birds adopted from abuse/neglect?
Yes, the members.
You could start a thread and ask a summary of peoples experiences/rescue stories, situations they encountered and how they overcame them, if they ever did.
There are members who have rescued many birds and fostered even more. Too many to tag.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Cockatiels
Keets
Budgies
Lovebirds
Finches
Nanday
Pineapple Conure
IRN
Parrolets
Quakers
Macaws
Amazons
Cockatoos
Senegals

Then Nancee in GR has Grey's, DYH Amazon, Severe Macaw, and the Lorikeet. We're going to chat on the phone tomorrow. These women must be exhausted!
Yes I seen all the videos, they were exhausted. Up to wee hours of the night.
A couple videos and pics showed the conditions of some of the birds. Made my wife tear up. They put a bird down because it was pretty bad.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That GW she was playing with would be a treasure for anyone to get. But then you know how I am about GWs.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
That GW she was playing with would be a treasure for anyone to get. But then you know how I am about GWs.
I seen that....!! Was that gorgeous!! In another fb post she states the director of animal control out of St. Clair. Is adopting it. Even giving the GW it's own badge!!! I thought that was awesome!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
NO - I didn't see them.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Cockatiels
Keets
Budgies
Lovebirds
Finches
Nanday
Pineapple Conure
IRN
Parrolets
Quakers
Macaws
Amazons
Cockatoos
Senegals

Those 3 senegal are sold together. They will not be broken up. They are not tamed.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Apparently one of the macaws is only 4-5 months old, she's named him and everything, pretty sure she's smitten! I'd be surprised if he is ever up for adoption!
The GW?? The red one? It's been adoted! Director of St. Clare animal control has adopted it. Even gave the Ma caw it's own shiny animal control badge!!!!

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Isn't this also the rescue that couldn't afford vet care/necropsies for all the birds in the poisoning case? I'm not trying to defame them but if there aren't emergency vet funds, taking on 100 birds from a hoarder seems like a very dire situation.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Isn't this also the rescue that couldn't afford vet care/necropsies for all the birds in the poisoning case? I'm not trying to defame them but if there aren't emergency vet funds, taking on 100 birds from a hoarder seems like a very dire situation.
I don't think so, they did get bogged down once. But volunteer vets stepped in. Someone has to step up, money or no money can't leave them in the conditions they were in. Donations poor in once word gets out. And she's not afraid to say it like it is.