• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Calling out all Michigan AA members, and anyone else interested. 100 rescued parrots !!!!

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Thanks for sharing this story and applying to adopt :)

My sennie, Luna, was an adoptee from this rescue :heart:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@Hjarta5 another Michigander!! :hug7: I've been waiting to finish our application until we were closer to being ready to adopt..With a baby coming literally any day now, it's not ideal timing, but I figure the adoption process takes time, plus most of these birds won't be ready for adoption for a while anyways. I'm trusting that Shannon will not turn us away because we have young kids, we may just need to be patient for the right bird...Which I'm sure there are some in that 80 that wouldn't mind a loving home with children!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Poor little guys.....

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
@TikkiTembo From the article, it appears that they wont be doing the standard quarantine period. "Dingee-Kramer said Birds and Beaks typically waits 30 days before listing birds for adoption on its website, but because the rescue doesn't have the space, she's trying to get the birds medically cleared as soon as possible, and put them up for adoption in the next few days."

My application process was relatively quick, though I applied right before Hurricane Maria because when I made my first visit, her house was beyond full capacity with rescues coming from Florida. Recently, I know her rescue has responded to a couple other hoarding cases where they desperately needed smaller cages; I know the smaller ones stay at another person's house in GR.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@Hjarta5 , you're right, I did miss that part! Well, I guess I'll send my videos tomorrow and explain our lives right now. We know that we'd love to add to our flock, and we know we want to rescue, so hopefully a baby doesn't disqualify us. We've got an amazing routine down, and while having a baby changes things a bit, it's super important that we keep life as normal as we can for our older daughter AND for our pets. Honestly, caring for the birds and enjoying their company is the highlight of my day most of the time, as being a stay at home mom can flat out suck some times! They are my special buddies who give love in unique ways...One day Tootie will figure out his way,until then, he shows love by not biting :hehe: I know we may seem like we're a little nutty for even considering adding another, but we're a family team and we all do our part to care for our pets, even Ellen who feeds the dog and cats, and is the chief of cleaning chicken poop off the deck with a hose :lol:
No matter what, it makes me proud to know that someone in our state runs such a wonderful operation and will find homes for these birdies, even if she decides it's not with us.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sad. Bird hoarding seems to be happening more and more. I encourage anyone who has the time to consider helping at bird rescues and fostering. Most rescues need more help.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'll see if I can take a couple... More if can. But only have cages for two more birds at my house.
Maybe there could be members in your area with a spare cage to lend until you can get them into a forever home ?

This is the 3rd large scale bird hoarding case in Michigan this year :(
How sad :(

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Maybe there could be members in your area with a spare cage to lend until you can get them into a forever home ?

How sad :(

It is sad... You just can not save them all.
Then the poor things sit forever in cages waiting for a home. Oh it's just not right seeing all these sad faces!! And I can't board them all. A hand full maybe.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Battle Creek rescue takes in more than 80 neglected exotic birds seized in east Michigan | WWMT

I've already gotten my application in, and am sending my home visit videos tomorrow. These birds have a long road ahead of them before they're ready for homes. My bleeding heart is broken tonight...!

Chelsea, I'm going to make a trip down there.
what's that address where birds and beaks is.??? I used to know my way around battle creek blind folded. Is that off Columbia ave? or out by lakeview?

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Chelsea, I'm going to make a trip down there.
what's that address where birds and beaks is.??? I used to know my way around battle creek blind folded. Is that off Columbia ave? or out by lakeview?
The rescue has moved within the past year, and I dont believe the new address is publically posted to avoid people dropping in unannounced or leaving their "unwanted" birds on her front doorsteps.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Wishing that they all find safe places to stay and forever homes ❤

@Hawk12237 is taking in a few also :)

I am... But have to go through process as st. Clair sent them to battle creek now.
I got internet phone, and some how I didn't get voice mail till this morning about it from another rescue in lapeer. Dang phone voice mail!!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
The rescue has moved within the past year, and I dont believe the new address is publically posted to avoid people dropping in unannounced or leaving their "unwanted" birds on her front doorsteps.
I used to live not far from it years back. Didn't know they moved!