• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage update

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
I was concerned he was maybe in the main part of the house in the middle of all the party commotion.
No and thank god, it could be a lot worse some people don’t know I have him. And the smaller kids then me are a lot more louder then me and gets to excited over things so I don’t want that to impact on him since he went from not moving at all to eating on his own almost. He just has to learn to trust me I guess along with my mom.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I would focus on the postive, more how you can work together.

This baby is still very new to your home. It takes time to earn there trust. It takes repeating, giving treats, talking with them . It takes time to learn what they are saying with their body and behavior, and for the bird to learn yours.

As this baby feels more trust , it won't want to fly away. You aren't the first to work with a clipped bird.

My quaker Phoebe was clipped, and a lot more fearful when I brought her home. But I have had a lot more practice at reading bird body language, and working with birds. So I didn't put her in the position to feel uncomfortable enough to try and flee, or push her enough thst she had to bite. It's a skill you develop with time and practice.

Plus, honestly, at this age they are programed to learn to fly and practice flight. As he spends more time out and comfortable around you it will lessen.

My breeder clipped my Neptune quaker before I brought him home st just a little over a month old. He wanted to fly and fly. I had blankets and pillows all over the floor when I got him out. But I had his trust and he wanted to spend time with me. But he couldn't help the urge to practice flight. Thst urge doesn't go away because they are clipped. He did start getting better at his short flight attempt before his flight feathers ever came back in months later.

Your baby needs time and patience and understanding and trust building. You will get there it isn't a sprint

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
I would focus on the postive, more how you can work together.

This baby is still very new to your home. It takes time to earn there trust. It takes repeating, giving treats, talking with them . It takes time to learn what they are saying with their body and behavior, and for the bird to learn yours.

As this baby feels more trust , it won't want to fly away. You aren't the first to work with a clipped bird.

My quaker Phoebe was clipped, and a lot more fearful when I brought her home. But I have had a lot more practice at reading bird body language, and working with birds. So I didn't put her in the position to feel uncomfortable enough to try and flee, or push her enough thst she had to bite. It's a skill you develop with time and practice.

Plus, honestly, at this age they are programed to learn to fly and practice flight. As he spends more time out and comfortable around you it will lessen.

My breeder clipped my Neptune quaker before I brought him home st just a little over a month old. He wanted to fly and fly. I had blankets and pillows all over the floor when I got him out. But I had his trust and he wanted to spend time with me. But he couldn't help the urge to practice flight. Thst urge doesn't go away because they are clipped. He did start getting better at his short flight attempt before his flight feathers ever came back in months later.

Your baby needs time and patience and understanding and trust building. You will get there it isn't a sprint
I think in case I should see the avian vet to see what he says while having clipped wings if he flies or not, he sometimes fall when flying which I don’t know if he should be trying to fly much unless in the cage for now with a bunch of steps for him to walk on, and as for the hut I’m not looking forward to that.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I do not agree with keeping a bird cages for months untill flight feathers grow back.

I do not agree that there is enough to do in cage . Or enough mental, physical or socializing going on .

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
I do not agree with keeping a bird cages for months untill flight feathers grow back.

I do not agree that there is enough to do in cage . Or enough mental, physical or socializing going on .
I don’t like the idea either, I would love him to not be fearful of us but he keeps hurting himself in the process. I will try the trainer stick though with the clicker and see if my mom gets those things first.