• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage update

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
Probably more than normal clumsiness as he is clipped

As I said before- you and your mum really need to sit down and talk about this stuff and get on the same page s to how to provide and care for this bird- the constant perch and cage changes and power struggles between you as to where things are put in Cosmo's home are not helping your bird nor is any of this daily changing things about fair to him.
You need to stop putting things in, moving them in a few hours, removing them as soon as the other one is out of the room then the other one putting it back in a different spot etc- your bird will have no clue where he can sit, how to safely navigate the cage nor will he feel safe in his cage (his home) if you are constantly doing this stuff you have been posting about.
My mom wants to put a hut in there and I don’t want it to be fuzzy or anything. My mom keeps wanting to change stuff up and I just want him to be normal the way it was before, I saw him struggling with climbing up and down the cage wanting to have a stair way when I saw her take off the stairs. I don’t want to change much either it’s gonna be a lot for him as it is putting a bunch of different perches.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Have you thought about having your mom join the forum as well? We might be able to help both of y'all get on the same page with everything.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My mom wants to put a hut in there and I don’t want it to be fuzzy or anything. My mom keeps wanting to change stuff up and I just want him to be normal the way it was before, I saw him struggling with climbing up and down the cage wanting to have a stair way when I saw her take off the stairs. I don’t want to change much either it’s gonna be a lot for him as it is putting a bunch of different perches.
You need to sit and have a grown up chat with your mum and sort this out- what is happening now as we are being told will be very stressful for a baby bird, especially one who can't fly, who has just moved to a new home, who cant relax in their new cage as nothing is familiar from day to day with how often his accessories are being moved about.

owlsthetic

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I found it very helpful to find links and articles, etc to back up my points, husbandry care to share to my parents when I was a minor. My parents were a lot more willing to listen to me when they saw how much research I had done and that I had multiple sources to back up what I was saying

I absolutely agree with @Shezbug that it would be in Cosmo's best interest if you can try to work this out with your mom before changing stuff up and then having your mom go back and change things again

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
You need to sit and have a grown up chat with your mum and sort this out- what is happening now as we are being told will be very stressful for a baby bird, especially one who can't fly, who has just moved to a new home, who cant relax in their new cage as nothing is familiar from day to day with how often his accessories are being moved about.
I tried, she is stubborn, she doesn’t want to listen to me about things, I was even lucky to tell her about material that parrots can eat and I’m hoping she will get something out of those materials if she gets it out of that. I don’t know about happy huts but I heard they make them hormonal from other videos I watch that happy huts are bad for parrots because of that. It’s just like with her wanting to put a blanket in for Cosmo and look what happen to him.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I tried, she is stubborn, she doesn’t want to listen to me about things, I was even lucky to tell her about material that parrots can eat and I’m hoping she will get something out of those materials if she gets it out of that. I don’t know about happy huts but I heard they make them hormonal from other videos I watch that happy huts are bad for parrots because of that. It’s just like with her wanting to put a blanket in for Cosmo and look what happen to him.
Parrots can not eat material. Anything that is not food that they happen to ingest is an impaction hazard and needs to be removed and kept away from them.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
Parrots can not eat material. Anything that is not food that they happen to ingest is an impaction hazard and needs to be removed and kept away from them.
So they can’t have natural rope either or jute? I thought I read that jute is a flower material.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So they can’t have natural rope either or jute? I thought I read that jute is a flower material.
They can chew on things like that but they can't eat it. Yes they can have sisal and other natural material ropes and toys but if they eat it (actually swallow the stuff) then it is a problem. If they chew and drop it then all is fine.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
They can chew on it and shred it, but I think they was some confusion with you saying "eat". Just a misunderstanding :)

So what toys are in the cage presently? Any wood other than the perches?

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
They can chew on things like that but they can't eat it. Yes they can have sisal and other natural material ropes and toys but if they eat it (actually swallow the stuff) then it is a problem. If they chew and drop it then all is fine.
So something that is sturdy that they can chew on but won’t eat. I guess I would have to find one that’s sturdy or something. As long as it’s not fuzzy like the blanket my mom got I don’t think he will swallow it.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
They can chew on it and shred it, but I think they was some confusion with you saying "eat". Just a misunderstanding :)

So what toys are in the cage presently? Any wood other than the perches?
There is one of a coconut that he likes to take off the hairs off of. And he loves the other one that has shredding paper on it.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
So something that is sturdy that they can chew on but won’t eat. I guess I would have to find one that’s sturdy or something. As long as it’s not fuzzy like the blanket my mom got I don’t think he will swallow it.
Pop over to Lil Monsters - @Mizzely has loads of great toys that would be perfect for Cosmo

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am not recommending and never will recommend a happy hut made of any material. Chew toys/items I will most definitely recommend

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
I am not recommending and never will recommend a happy hut made of any material. Chew toys/items I will most definitely recommend
I know I don’t like the idea of my mom getting the happy hut either. My mom is probably gonna do it anyways and he is probably gonna want to hide in there which is not gonna be good for him. At least I will have a camera to monitor him through my I pad, I got a pet cam app on the iPhone called pet monitor vigi and it works well so far, I haven’t tried it outside the house yet. But I’m hoping it works. I don’t like how my step dad turns the light off while I’m not there in my room one time. So that’s why I went to get that.

Attachments

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
So, remind me - how long have you had Cosmo now?