• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage update

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
I’m hoping the cage stays like this without the dowel perch, without the blanket, and put more natural things for him to chew on he can maybe have a natural jute blanket or I don’t know what would be natural for Cosmo to digest but I wanted to put something for him on the side for him to move his feet around for exercise. Hopefully this works at least inside the cage because the stand my mom got is not like an exercise thing it’s more of a stand for him. My mom took him out because she had a cleaning lady clean today upstairs/ maid or whatever, and Cosmo doesn’t like loud noises. So I decided to do something different since my mom left me in the house today. I’m hoping she don’t put back the dowel perch. I don’t want him digesting that or who knows what that has.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There is nothing wrong with your dowel perch! The only times they are a problem are if they are the only perch or the most frequently used perch. I use dowels for my disabled cocky to get from one area of his cage to another and he has natural perches where he likes to sit and spend his time.

Your cage urgently needs more perches so I honestly would just put the dowel back for now and leave it in till you get some more natural perches. Hanging on the side of the cage like that because there is nowhere comfortable for your bird to sit is not good- the bars are good for them to use to get about the cage if needed but hanging there because there are no perches is really not good at all.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
There is nothing wrong with your dowel perch! The only times they are a problem are if they are the only perch or the most frequently used perch. I use dowels for my disabled cocky to get from one area of his cage to another and he has natural perches where he likes to sit and spend his time.

Your cage urgently needs more perches so I honestly would just put the dowel back for now and leave it in till you get some more natural perches. Hanging on the side of the cage like that because there is nowhere comfortable for your bird to sit is not good- the bars are good for them to use to get about the cage if needed but hanging there because there are no perches is really not good at all.
That’s the thing he likes to use that perch because it’s his favorite one there. I don’t know if it’s good my mom is probably gonna put it back though. My mom is putting it back to where it was and is taking off the other perches.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
He needs a perch! You can not leave him like I see him in the second pic- maybe I am wrong but it looks like he has no perches available at all in the second pic. There should be perches in front of his food and water dishes, a perch up nice and high for sleep and rest times and other perches so he can get about easily.

I really think you and your mum need to sit and talk about how you both will care for this bird.... working against each other is not good for the birds health and safety and will only serve to cause you both issues between yourselves.

A dowel perch is better for him than hanging on bars being his only option.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, your bird needs a perch. You should have several in a cage. Until you can do that, the dowel is better than nothing. No perch would be the equivalent of you standing all day and night and never getting to sit or lay down.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
He needs a perch! You can not leave him like I see him in the second pic- maybe I am wrong but it looks like he has no perches available at all in the second pic. There should be perches in front of his food and water dishes, a perch up nice and high for sleep and rest times and other perches so he can get about easily.

I really think you and your mum need to sit and talk about how you both will care for this bird.... working against each other is not good for the birds health and safety and will only serve to cause you both issues between yourselves.

A dowel perch is better for him than hanging on bars being his only option.
Well my mom put the dowel back and took off the stairs, he has five in total now, there was a lot more before. Now there is only 5. Also note the picture with him there that one was with the dowel perch

Attachments

Last edited:

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
Yes, your bird needs a perch. You should have several in a cage. Until you can do that, the dowel is better than nothing. No perch would be the equivalent of you standing all day and night and never getting to sit or lay down.
Well my mom put it back, but to up, and she doesn’t even care where it is as long as it’s there. She doesn’t want many perches in it or he can fall and hurt himself.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well my mom put it back, but to up, and she doesn’t even care where it is as long as it’s there. She doesn’t want many perches in it or he can fall and hurt himself.
Is he prone to falling?

My Jardine's IS prone to falling and still has a dozen perches in his cage. Instead of falling all the way to the ground he can catch himself on a perch.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Is he prone to falling?

My Jardine's IS prone to falling and still has a dozen perches in his cage. Instead of falling all the way to the ground he can catch himself on a perch.
Same with Birdie- the more perches he has to get about the less likely he is to fall.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
Is he prone to falling?

Same with Birdie- the more perches he has to get about the less likely he is to fall.
yes he has went to the floor of the cage from time to time, I kind of fixed it for him to go up on one side but I think on another side I need to fix for him to go down because the yarn one was too down and was hitting the wood one.

Attachments

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
My mom is afraid he will hit himself when he falls onto the perch is the thing.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
I put the stairs back I don’t know why my mom put him back in a cage where he can’t climb enough have enough perches. I’m gonna have to restart doing the steps on not bothering him by the way. Because my mom got rid of the stairs one and put back the other dowel perch.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
He needs several perchs.
Is he falling or just exploring?
Does he still have wet nose?

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
He needs several perchs.
Is he falling or just exploring?
Does he still have wet nose?
He may I can’t tell he falls whenever he starts to screech at times. I’m hoping to put more for now I’m leaving it as it is but yeah I’m hoping to fill it more up.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
How old is he again ?

Falling isn't typical or normal, unless very young, never had perches , like at most under 16 weeks I say..

Edit ..or doesn't have enough perches to move around cage....but still most can move around cage bars without falling

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
How old is he again ?

Falling isn't typical or normal, unless very young, never had perches , like at most under 16 weeks I say
He is 3 months old. My mom just took of the stairs off his cage again. She didn’t like where I put it. So whenever I have the chance to put it back I’m gonna put it back again.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Ok, at 12 weeks he might still be a little baby clumsy

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Ok, at 12 weeks he might still be a little baby clumsy
Probably more than normal clumsiness as he is clipped

He is 3 months old. My mom just took of the stairs off his cage again. She didn’t like where I put it. So whenever I have the chance to put it back I’m gonna put it back again.
As I said before- you and your mum really need to sit down and talk about this stuff and get on the same page s to how to provide and care for this bird- the constant perch and cage changes and power struggles between you as to where things are put in Cosmo's home are not helping your bird nor is any of this daily changing things about fair to him.
You need to stop putting things in, moving them in a few hours, removing them as soon as the other one is out of the room then the other one putting it back in a different spot etc- your bird will have no clue where he can sit, how to safely navigate the cage nor will he feel safe in his cage (his home) if you are constantly doing this stuff you have been posting about.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I definitely understand wanting to get things right, but in order to settle in your bird needs a solid routine and some stability. Changing his home so often can be really upsetting. Just think if every time you went into your bedroom everything was moved every time! It would be hard to relax, and hard to make it feel like it's really yours if it got switched around so much!