• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage update

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Has he had any time to decompress? Like just hang out without anyone going into the cage for anything other than food or water?

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
Has he had any time to decompress? Like just hang out without anyone going into the cage for anything other than food or water?
Other than my mom picking him up everyday twice per day for him to “get used to her” he is calm in the morning until my mom picks him up. After he gets put back in the cage for trying to fly usually or when my mom just holds him only later he starts to screech. Which he has gotten louder then the the video I posted on YouTubeCosmo screaming being scared.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Just curious if he attempts to bite when is captured and held.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
Just curious if he attempts to bite when is captured and held.
Well he tends to bite, but for my mom it’s okay biting for him, when he gets older he will probably bite harder is my guessing.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Is there a vet that you can get to talk to her about how to train a bird?

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
Is there a vet that you can get to talk to her about how to train a bird?
On December 1st we are gonna go to one I’m hoping they are good but yeah we can talk to the avian vet about training him.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
On December 1st we are gonna go to one I’m hoping they are good but yeah we can talk to the avian vet about training him.
If you can, call the vet ahead of time and explain the situation to whomever answers the phone. "Hey, we've got this bird. Here's what my mom is doing, here's what I want to do, can you please put in the file to talk to my mom about the best way to handle this."

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
If you can, call the vet ahead of time and explain the situation to whomever answers the phone. "Hey, we've got this bird. Here's what my mom is doing, here's what I want to do, can you please put in the file to talk to my mom about the best way to handle this."
I would have to do that when my mom is not listening to the conversation, and it has to be when they are open during the day, but yeah, or say it in person with my mom and the avian vet there, and ask how to train Cosmo properly.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I would hesitate doing it when the vet is in the room with both of y'all, as it sounds like there's already a little bit of a combative relationship. If she feels ganged up on, it might be worse. Although if that's your only option, it is still better than nothing.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
I would hesitate doing it when the vet is in the room with both of y'all, as it sounds like there's already a little bit of a combative relationship. If she feels ganged up on, it might be worse. Although if that's your only option, it is still better than nothing.
I don’t know my mom may get mad that I talk to them on the phone without her permission, I don’t know which one would be worse.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Don't be sneaky or behind her back.
It's a normal thing to ask for tips bonding and training. Ask with all there in the open , for resources and tips with your new bird.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
Don't be sneaky or behind her back.
It's a normal thing to ask for tips bonding and training. Ask with all there in the open , for resources and tips with your new bird.
Yeah I don’t like the idea of calling without my mom knowing. I think I’ll just say my thoughts and concerns for Cosmo with them both being there.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
How is everyone’s thanksgiving going by the way? Cosmo doesn’t like the noises of the party my step dad’s family brought along.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Yeah I don’t like the idea of calling without my mom knowing. I think I’ll just say my thoughts and concerns for Cosmo with them both being there.
Exactly. Both of you need help and tips. Both of you are new to parrots . Even if your mom has one before, it's really different starting all over.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
How is everyone’s thanksgiving going by the way? Cosmo doesn’t like the noises of the party my step dad’s family brought along.
I would place the cage in a quieter room, if that is not possible then I would make sure he is in a corner and has at least two if not three sides of the cage covered so he can feel safe only having to watch out for one open side of the cage.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Watch this several time's. I think fir quakers it's better to do this out of the cage , because quakers are a little more protective of cage. But you can try in cage , if to stressed by that then try out of cage. This isn't the only way to train step up, but it gives you an idea ,of behavior, of adapting, how they can respond

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
I would place the cage in a quieter room, if that is not possible then I would make sure he is in a corner and has at least two if not three sides of the cage covered so he can feel safe only having to watch out for one open side of the cage.
The quietest area is my room and sadly there is noises everywhere in my area and my step dad, doesn’t like animals but luckily let me have Cosmo. Step dad with Cosmo.

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
Watch this several time's. I think fir quakers it's better to do this out of the cage , because quakers are a little more protective of cage. But you can try in cage , if to stressed by that then try out of cage. This isn't the only way to train step up, but it gives you an idea ,of behavior, of adapting, how they can respond
It would be nice for him to learn step up, I’m still trying to get his trust first though which is difficult with my mom taking him out and him flying off. Especially with hurting himself since his wings are clipped from the seller that clipped the wings.

Last edited:

Cosmobird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Alexandra
Another thing I don’t know what food Cosmo likes since the guy never told me what food he eats, which I think it’s formula because he didn’t eat pellets or seeds before, luckily now he does because my mom fed him, if it wasn’t for that he would of starve himself the first day which this is how he was the first day in the cage, who knows how sacred he was just by staying in one spot not eating and how the guy treated him before. But I don’t know he didn’t came with a birth certificate or anything either.

Attachments

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The quietest area is my room and sadly there is noises everywhere in my area and my step dad, doesn’t like animals but luckily let me have Cosmo. Step dad with Cosmo.
I was concerned he was maybe in the main part of the house in the middle of all the party commotion.