• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie beak ripped off in accidental fight with Lovebird

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
We are not being mean. You yourself said you have several budgies with the top beak ripped off. We assumed it was your fault for not being vigilant. We apologize if it was not negligence on your part in those cases.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
And I also want to share with you that due to my negligence in my flock of six, my female caique has once broken my Quakers foot, and the second time fractured his beak. Now he needsbeak trims every month. I accept my part in these unfortunate incidents.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
including mean critics!:depressed::banghead:
I was ready with cage and all to get into my car and drive the 45 minutes drive and pay the vet for her to even stay in their Clinic.
You see, the thing you typed last is the first thing you should do before making a thread about a budgie in big pain.
But all you did was to tell us that you don't want to take it to the vet because they killed your birds.
Daisy came out of her box full of blood. I found her beak on Aviary floor.
It broke off right against her cere.Help!!!!!!!!please..... my birds are my children!!!! (
If you love your animals, vet care is always your first option. And 45 minutes away is near to me. I have the double time to my vet.
So don't say that we are mean. We do love our birds and no bird should suffer and don't get the care they need. Instead you post this:
She is actually doing very wel!
And when you don't realize that your bird is suffer something is wrong.
By the way an accident is an accident!
But you still have all the responsibility for your bird and to make sure it gets the right kind of emergency care.

Next time be grateful that some will help you and give you advice.
Don't be rude and say that it's mean because you wanted to hear something else.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I am glad you were able to contact a vet who knows what they are doing.

I'm sorry if you feel people were being mean, when in truth we were very concerned.

You are right in saying an accident is an accident, we are all humans and make mistakes. I think the issue most people were having is that you seemed unwilling to take responsibility and take your bird who was clearly suffering to a vet. You used the excuse that there were no vets anywhere close to you, and then we find out there is one 45 mins away... that is not far to go when your bird is in distress.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope your little bird will continue to improve!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I don't want to sound rude, but I agree with the others.My normal vet is 10 minutes away but only open certain hours. I have an avian ER vet an hour and a half away, and I've made that run numerous times at crazy hours; 8pm, 11pm, 3am. But I know that when I took on the responsibility of a bird, I also took on the responsibility of making sure he gets the help he needs. I'm not gonna say I've never had accidents with my bird, because that would be a lie. When my bird flew into a wall and sustained a cut and major brusing, I called every vet in the area, and got the number for the ER vet and rushed him there. Sure, it cost me 115 dollars, but it's better that than dead. And it was my fault, I'm the one who let him on my shoulder and took him into an unfamiliar part of the house. I felt bad about it, but I accepted the responsibility.

We don't pick up on how birds are doing, it's in their instinct to hide it from the big scary predators, such as humans. Your bird could be in excruciating pain, yet you might never know. And you should be ready with a cage at all times. I have a small cage with one rope perch by the door, so I can get the bird in, put in his food/water, cover him, and go to wherever it is he needs to be. It is my responsibility as a parront, and if I can't do it, I shouldn't have a bird. Simple as that.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Mariane I am guessing you have left our forum because you did not read what you wanted to hear. Treating wild birds is way different than taking care of a flock of companion birds. I do not understand if you knew you had no skilled avian vet support why you have a large flock of captive birds. When one takes in captive birds it is the total responsibility of that person to take care of them. I really do feel for that bird that was injured and all other birds in your flock. What you received from AA members is invaluable and I hope you at least learned a few things from us.

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
Sorry people but i do not have several budgie females with ripped beaks. 2 female budgies got into a fight years ago and the small front tips broke off and they are both fine. It never grew back those parts lost but they have managed to eat and are still doing well.
Also I did not know its a pre requisite to have an avian vet before keeping birds. All birds originate from nature and they have NO VET. Even if you buy them in shops.
And I am following the Vet's instructions anyway now about Daisy. She is my first ripped off top beak, and she is doing just fine. Between myself and the male she is being fed. And I give her special attention until she adapts to eating soft food. She is drinking by herself. And i did not leave the forum over one or two mean comments. I have been coping well and working hard day and night for my birds for 7 years.

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
Thank you Irishj9 and saroj10 for Dr Dr Beer info. I did phone around for vets and did manage to find the only vet that is avian in the whole western cape being Dr de beer.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
"All birds originate from nature and they have NO VET."

Mariane, this is totally flawed logic. All people originate from nature and they have no clothes. Do you go to the doctor if you leg gets ripped off?

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Prey birds (i.e. parrots in general) would not intentionally injure another bird to the point of bleeding. Does it happen? Of course! But not to the same extent as seen within captivity.

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
Hi expressmailtome; thank you for the support. I am concerned about every bird I own's welfare. The only reason I was reluctant was because both seperate vets i took birds to on 3 different occasions were for naught. When i told the Budgierar Forum years ago what they did or gave the birds; they were shocked! So it was not lack of concern for my birds' welfare nor my attitude towards welfare that was under scrutiny BUT my Daisy's life.
As per my remarks to Callie from SA; you can see that Daisy is doing splendid and getting stronger and better every day.

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
Thanks Monica
The specific Lovebird in question is a Lutino and she was trying to get into the nestbox of Daisy. As Daisy had one chick; she obviously defended her nest. Needless to say after this I removed the two breeding boxes and put them into cages. There is one chick in Daisy's box and the other budgie pair has 3 chicks. They are Inos as Mom is a Lutino( Tulip) and the Dad is an Albino(Palecheek). I love my budgies; Lovebirds and the babies are precious!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that things continue to go well with Daisy. Post some photos of all of your birds & the babies when you get a chance and if they are comfortable with you taking photos.