1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie beak ripped off in accidental fight with Lovebird

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Mariane, 10/26/17.

1. Mariane

Mariane Meeting neighbors

Mariane
    I bought the big cage today but waiting for the wheel trolley.they didnt have stock.

2. finchly

finchly Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

Tanya
    Mariane, why don't you try wetting it and see if she will take it?

Monica likes this.
  3. Monica

Monica Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Monica
    Exhibition is just another term used to describe English budgies. Since Daisy is a mix of both, it's even harder to say what her weight should be without knowing history of her weight.

I agree with Finchy, try wetting her food to see if she'll eat it... or make it into a powder, moisten it into a thick paste and add some seeds to it.

4. Mariane

Mariane
    It was wet. The bird crumble. Fat ignore she throws it. Soft food full of nutrition also.fat ignore. I am going to sprinkly some seeds on top and see if that works. Thank you so much for the input. I filed her beak down but its growing at a tremendous rate! Its once again reaching the top. Is there not a reason for this? Like maybe the body knows she cant dehusk without it touching the top? This puzzles me. Let me try and take a photo again to post. I filed it 3 days ago and lo its just making gigantic growth leaps. The top beak has a growth too. I will try take a close uo and I would really appreciate some expert opinions

5. Donna turner

Donna turner Sprinting down the street

Donna
    Their beaks grow constantly and depend on the opposing beak and hard food to keep it the right length. Since she has no upper beak to rub against the lower beak has nothing to wear it down naturally.

Hankmacaw likes this.
  6. Mariane

Mariane
    20171116_011807.jpg Daisy enlarged view of beak. Top right showing growth. Bottom i file to keep in check. I also trimmed al feathers around beak area to avoid germs from food contamination.

7. Mariane

Mariane
    20171116_011621.jpg Daisy beak

8. Mariane

Mariane
  9. Mariane

Mariane
    Her little Nostrils really remind me of "Pete's Dragon" - so cute. I wish you could see how she cuddles her mate Lemon and grooms. Its a site to behold! She wont let me feed her anymore but i try to do it once a day now so she can get some nutritious food in ; like the softfood rearing porridge by Aviplus.

10. Mariane

Mariane
    She scoops seeds up herself from the dehusked seeds but we all know that is not good enough. I am going to try veggies tomorrow chopped in my food processor: carrot, spinach and apple. The other birds love it.

11. Mariane

Mariane
    One of my old males is very thin. His beak was overgrown and i have clipped and filed but im worried about him being thin. I fed him some Aviplus porridge with syringe today for extra to fatten him up a bit. Will it help or do they get like that when they age. He is about 7 years old.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)