• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie beak ripped off in accidental fight with Lovebird

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
I have filed a few beaks for Finches and 2 Budgies who had overgrowth....so i will keep Daisy's beak in check. She does use it to catch/ scoop the dehusked seeds i give her but all soft foods i put in cage she ignores? And all dehusked seeds too. I have to feed her. I give her Aviplus lorikeet nectar(porridge) . I have 2 other types porridge/ softfood too. She still takes it from Syringe and eats dehusked seeds from my fingers which i dip in water to make

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
The seeds stick. Everybody it may have sounded like i did not acknowledge my responsibility in Daisie's accident but i am totally responsible and I know it was my fault. Therefore i take also the task og her wellbeing and feeding very serious.

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
I feed her 3 times a day. Is that enough? If I try more than that she protests and wriggles!

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Hmm. I don't know how often to feed her, but I assume your goal is to wean her off your supportive feeding and onto foods she can eat on her own. Maybe you can eventually persuade her to eat the porridge on her own? At the very least, if you can teach her to eat the hulled seeds on her own, with some small crumbles added in, or a powdered vitamin supplement added, that would make it easier on you. I imagine it will take some time and imagination on your part...

I was never under the impression that you were at fault or that you were "shirking" your responsibility. Accidents happen. And as far as vet visits go, there have been times when I've had serious issues but no good/experienced vet to access, and have opted to home-treat using my own skills and the skills/experiences of others. My worst outcomes have come from trusting vets when my gut told me not to... Exotic animals can fare poorly in the hands of a totally inexperienced vet. And besides, what is the point of further castigating someone when they're doing all they can? Some of the posts were harsh - I'm glad you were able to ignore the negativity and glean some ideas.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Can you weigh her? You'd need a very sensitive scale.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Fia Baby has one good idea to her credit: a sensitive scale is your best friend to monitor Daisy's weight loss/gain. You must have one already? If not, please get one!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The scale is a good idea. And please don't beat yourself up over this. It is really hard to acknowledge that an injury is our own fault! But these things happen - and they are just accidents. So sorry.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Is there any chance at all her beak may grow back? I know birds with some kinds of damaged beaks can regrow and heal up but not sure about loosing all of it. Either way she seems to be doing really well and quickly adapting to her issues.

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
I have a food scale i can use. I noticed daisy forages on the cage floor. I have sprinkled some dehusked seeds so hope she manages to eat some. But i am monitoring. Thanks FiaBaby; Dartman etc. There is a 1/2 mm ridge under her Cere which could b a bit of growth but it will never grow back fully. Although my other 2 budgies that had a fight had stumpy beaks from part of top breaking off but they grew some back. Not sure. But it will be wonderful if some grows back.

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
By the way Fia baby i put an eggfood holder filled with crumble in cage softene with water; but she gives it a flat ignore? She wont even eat Spinach which all my birds love but i try to sneak little pieces in with the porridge. She is still adapting I think.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Although possible, it is unlikely that the beak will ever be normal again. My own conure was in a similar incident, only *he* was the instigator. He chose to pick on a blind ruby macaw and got the short end of the stick.... This happened when he was 12 years old - before I adopted him.

He is now 23 years old, and has had the injury for nearly half of his life. This requires trimming his beak every now and then to make sure it doesn't overgrow too much. I don't treat him in any special manner, either... he has difficulty eating seeds, so seeds aren't a part of his diet. Otherwise though, he eats fresh food and pellets just fine and drinks on his own.

Mariane, what about trying sprouted seeds?

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
Now monica there is a great idea. I will start sprouting immediately 4 Daisy. I have a few quails I sprout seeds 4; just in my garden with soul and all i give the quails. They love it!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You can sprout seeds without soil.... just water and maybe some ACV.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
soil has bacteria which would be very dangerous for Daisy, Sprout in water with a drop of apple cider vinegar to kill the bacteria.
Here is a helpful link:

Sprouting Instructions

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have soaked my seeds in f10 for a few minutes prior to washing and soaking overnight previously. I found it worked really well for keeping away nasty growth.

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
Thanks for info everybody. I use AVV every week in my birds' eater to keep bacteria and fungi away; so I will use that for sprouts. Daisy is still going strong. She had her crop full tonight when i tried to feed her and she protested a lot. She only took a bit of the porridge and 2 fingerloads of seeds. I have seen her and her baby both feed on dehusked seeds that dropped from bowl to cage floor. Clever little critters. I filed Daisy's bottom beak down a bit and she didnt complain too much. It definitely looks like new growth on top has come out. It is about a quarter of a mm. I weighed Daisy and she ways in at 42 grams. Is that a normal weight? She seems so much thinner than before but not getting thinner anymore?!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's hard to say if that's a good weight for her or not without knowing what her typical weight is prior to her injury. Also, hard to say without knowing exactly what she is.

That is to say, 42 grams could be overweight for a typical budgie that should weigh around 30 grams, but it could be underweight for an english/exhibition budgie that might normally weigh around 50-60 grams.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
The sprouts are a really good idea!! Maybe some very finely minced spinach and/or some broccoli buds? My parakeets, when I had them, always loved both of these.

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
Hi Monica i dont have any exibition Budgies. Her dad is an English budgie but her Mom was small. Daisy is scooping up food by herself in her cage. I have a dish for dehusked seeds and one with normal seeds. I watched her this morning and she was eating by herself. Whopee! Now i just need to encourage her to eat soft foods as well. She doesnt touch the bird crumble. Must it be wet?