• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie beak ripped off in accidental fight with Lovebird

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
@Irishj9 , any recommendations on veterinary care in or near Cape Town?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that she is doing OK. Still consider contacting a vet or perhaps contacting a breeder who can recommend a good vet.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I just think that your little bird is suffering. It may not seem like that, but he can't say anything. There also is a risk of infection.
While I understand you think it is "okay" "seems okay" but it isn't humane when you are caring for an animal and it is in pain.

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
A vet I know referred me to another 2 vets as she does not consult for birds. Guess who? The exact 2 vets who killed my 2 birds!!!! Bah! As useless as our government!

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
That cage doesn't look very big, do they have any perches besides the dowels? Is this small cage set up for her after she was injured or their every day home?

Poor thing. I understand not having an avian vet (I don't have one in my province). But wouldn't any vet be better than one in this case?

This bird is in pain and I agree that it is not humane to let her suffer..

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
What do you mean the last vet killed your birds ?

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
Temporary cage for evening so I can monitor them. They come from Avery. Tomorrow's they are moving to the bigger cage, for monitoring........ I have various sizes. I want to double check and sterilize cage b4 moving them in as with her injury and feeding regime she will need close up monitoring. That is 4 tomorrow after phoning other 2 vets to ask who will dispense me Metcam and Baytril.

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
Emily y he anesthetized the bird too much to Splint wing, other one gave it loads of meds with no improvement, it died . Euthanising would have been more humane. I say if u are a vet you must be a vet and know your trade. The one practice looked like a mechanical vehicle workshop and i stood by and saw no sterilising of tools. A rough one! Told u there are no Avian vets here. They know less than zilch! I know more about birds than they do. This isnt America!!!! Vets are only for dogs,cats and big wild game. Birding is not big in SA.

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
The small cage is only to monitor tonight. They are going into a bigger cage tomorrow. I have 2 other Budgies who suffered beak ripoffs of top beaks, (3 years ago)they nevrr grew back fully but they managed verywell and are still flying happily in my avery. I stopped all budgie breeding, or any other birds breeding. This one is an adopted baby she is fostering from a hen who hatched 4 chicks. The little fellow hatched days after the other 3 and I feared he would be trampled by the older chicks, so i gave him to Daisy cause she is lovable and non agressive and her eggsdidnt hatch. I only bred 2 females. All was well until the stupid Lovebird flew through door and tried to get into box, obviously to lay her own eggs. I wasn't fast enough to get her out b4 damage was done! So we learn through our mistakes. She was defending the opening of box..........

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Mariane, did you call Dr. DeBeer?

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
These injuries and incidents are not the lovebird’s fault - you are responsible for keeping the birds safe and separated.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
These injuries and incidents are not the lovebird’s fault - you are responsible for keeping the birds safe and separated.
Thank you for saying this. I wanted to but I was feeling too mean. It seems that especially after one incident, a person could find a way to prevent the second. We have to take steps - *we* are responsible for their well-being.

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
Thank you everybody........including mean critics!:depressed::banghead: I did contact Dr Dion de Beer and after a long conversation with his assistant sister nurse, she consulted him. They telephoned me back. I was ready with cage and all to get into my car and drive the 45 minutes drive and pay the vet for her to even stay in their Clinic. Dr de Beer said that what i have done so far and the meds i used and my feeding her with a syringe is PERFECT! He told me not to bring her through to the practice unless she takes a turn for worse. I have cleaned her beak with boiled water and saline. After that i apply Betadine ointment. Dr de beer said i did the right thing to prevent infection. I monitor Daisy and Clan all day in between feeding and cleaning etc of my Flock. From dusk to dawn.:grouphug2:so if she gets ill she will be at the vet on Monday. I am following his instructions.:coolparrot:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good to read and great that you now have Dr. De Beer to consult with and bring birds to if necessary.

As for "mean critics", people were concerned and just doing their best to give advice and be as helpful as possible.

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
By the way an accident is an accident! And its a first for me. I would never carelessly endanger or hurt any of my feathered children. I joined this forum for advice; not wise cracks nor mean criticism. I have saved many wild birds who were injured and landed in my garden; and released them into the wild when their leg or foot were healed; once a Pigeon who was young and starving who grew into a beautiful male; and I found him a good home with a racing pigeon man. Have any of you that criticised done that?:sad2:

Mariane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mariane
Wild Canaries and Sparrows with broken legs i splinted and put plaster of paris; healed and I released them. Birds are my joy! If I had money ( and i was younger) I would have studied for an Avian Vet.