• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting Amazons!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Brandy I mean a play stand with lots of things to do_One he can climb all over and really wear off some energy.Have you seen some pvc ones some have built here?I can see you are really trying with him.I know it can be frustrating at times.I'm just trying to think of things that might help.Right now i think keeping him busy in his cage and on a play area would help alot.
I'm not trying to sound mean or anything but clipped birds can also take flight if a wind is just right.I'd hate for you to lose him.big hugs

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Guys I would never take him out like that without his wings being clipped. And when I say clipped a better description is butchered. They were clipped so short that when he falls I worry he will break something, there is no gliding down. He was like that when I got him.
Was this little one clipped before he fledged? I'm just wondering if that might be one of the factors in his aggression. There may be a good deal of frustrated natural energy and insecurity there... Just a thought.

brandy2103

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Brandy
He probably was not allowed to fledge, but now I don't think I can. Not now anyway. I have really backed off with Lunar. I let him out, put him on different pay areas. I ask him to "step up for treat" and he will, but that's about all I can do. I am just giving him time, I think I was too pushy at first. He seems content not to be touched at all. At times I can touch his beak. it's kinda depressing. Oh well, maybe one day. :confused:

brandy2103

Real Name
Brandy
Well he got me again, I had a treat and he has been doing well stepping up for a treat. Not today, no warning that I could see. Sliced me finger open pretty good. I just can't do this. After he bit me he got on the floor, I had to put my daughter behind me and back out of the door. If he hurts the kids it could be very bad for them and Lunar. I have to find him a home. I will be HONEST though. I will advertise for experienced Amazon owners, no kids. I have to put my children first and he is dangerous. I just can't do it. I have given it my best shot, I tried the suggestions and read the books.If I had only known. I should have realized there was a problem when he would not come to me in the store, no more shy/scared parrots for me. I am gonna just stick with Cosmo, no more. Some things are not meant to be. I am sorry and I do feel bad, but we have made the decision and I believe it is what's best for everyone. Thanks for all the help.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Im so sorry to hear this,I hope you are able to find him a wonderful home.

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Oh Brandy, I am so sorry you are going through this. What a hard decision to have to make. I was really hoping that things would be better for you two by now. I feel so bad for you, your family and Luna. She really is a beauty. I wish I lived closer so that I could try and help you in person. I hope you are able to find a wonderful, loving and experienced home for her. You are more than welcome to PM anytime. I can even give you my cell number in a PM if you feel like talking. Wishing you the best.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you found Lunar a new home? I see that your siggie is differnt,I love Cosmo's new name. Rio is such a cute name:)

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
wow. I just read this and totally understand how you feel. We got a BFA and she has attacked a few of us, kids included. They bit and just don't let go.
We were going to give her up but we decided today that we are going to keep her....or kill her out of frusteration.:rolleyes:
I agree they attack with no sign like other large parrots. There is no tail fanning, no eye dialation, nothing, just attack. Anyway, I am so sorry you went through this. I understand protecting kids but the older ones agree we are in this together and being bitten is a sad thing we know may happen with any of our bigger birds.
I am hoping to hear what you do or how you go about it. Zons are hard to place. I hope yo find the perfect home soon.
:hug8:

brandy2103

Real Name
Brandy
Actually a friend of ours opened a pet shop in Auburn. I took Lunar there and he is going to sell him for me. Lunar did not seem to mind at all. He does well with JD, who is the owner, but he knows how to handle him. I took his new big cage and all his toys. The front of the store is glass, so very bright. There is only one other bird so JD has plenty of time. Lunar comes out every day. I asked JD to be honest with anyone interested in Lunar and make sure they know about Amazons and don't have little children. I feel terrible about it and I named Cosmo to sorta go with Lunar. He is so young he doesn't know his name yet anyway. When I say Cosmo, I think of Lunar and get sad. I am keeping up with how Lunar is doing and I'm sure he'll find a good home soon.

brandy2103

Real Name
Brandy
Cynthia, yes I know you understand. I read about Lola and actually posted about it. You may have a better chance with her, I could never pet or handle Lunar. He was afraid of hands when I got him, I should have known better when he hid in the back of the cage. He is better now, he will come out and step up for people and did this with JD and his helper at the store without biting. My 5 year old little girl is quite spoiled and tends to scream if she doesn't get her way or if her brother makes her made, we are working on stopping this! Anyway this bothered Lunar and he was just getting worse. He had gotten to the point of literally attacking anyone who came by. He would jump off the gym or cage, then when he ended up on the floor he would chase you. I had to throw blankets on him. I do not want to keep a bird that has to constantly be caged, and I worried about what would happen to him if he bit the kids. Just a bad situation. I am handfeeding my Blue and Gold, and although He may try me later I have a much better chance of avoiding this by bonding as a baby. Also Blue and Golds are not known to be biters like Amazons are. Good luck with Lola!

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
Wow Brandy, thanks for sharing. I think your B&G is absolutely lovely. You could change his name. they take to new names fast.
Lola does come out of her cage and today for the first time called to come up to the family. Maybe its a start. I Hope Lunar does go to someone who can handle her.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
sorry you had to find out that when they bite it hurts I call it respect
I never ask Mango to step up , I ask with hands at side do you want to come if he does i slowly raise my hand , if not i walk away then come back ask again till he does come
how would you like it if a finger came at you or a hand .
I have never invaded Mangos area I have never taken him from his place \
and i will not touch his toy if playing
ask why , I know id get bit hes a gental amazon but dosent like you to invade his area
your bird has showen you that
try asking and watch his body as it will tell you yes or no
remember you have your things hes not to touch well he has his things dont touch
i have been told im silly but would you go out from your home and leave your amazon lose out of cage i do im not saying its smart to do it but i know my Mango , oh he torments me but its to get my attention even have shut him in my comp room he wont touch a thing on my desk if im not there but will clear it if i am .
Oh Im not saying he wont change but i watch for signs
I never touched Mango for 6 months waited for him to come to me
With out knowing it you have forced him to bite you .
Im sure if anyone reads this ill be told off but im only writing what i do
and how i have handled MANGO HE HAS NO FEARS OF ME I can play with his beak do almost anything with himand wont get bit but i will not invade his area
i do hope you see this and try it
it might just work for you I truly hope it does cause trust is what it is all about ,
i have been also told i should never have a bird as i do things that im told are crule but so fare i have a great companion hes free 12 hrs a day caged only to sleep ,
but also remember i have but 1 bird and he only has me not any other here
good luck hun as amazons and other birds bite hard when trying to teach you

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Well said, Doll. :hug8:

Ziggy (B&G) taught me the extent to which trust is a two way street; the same is true of respect, just as you said.

BTW, neither of our Amazons has ever bitten either of us. Ziggy is a different matter, because he is so bonded to me and doesn't like it when anyone, including the other nonhuman members of the household, come too close to me.

brandy2103

Real Name
Brandy
Dolores, who are you directing that post to? Me or Cynthia? If me ...my situation is different than yours. You look elderly and probably live alone or without small children. My bird and his behaviors are totally different than what you describe. Don't judge others or assume you know everything about them. Again, this should be a forum for friendly people who can post without offending.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Dolores, who are you directing that post to? Me or Cynthia? If me ...my situation is different than yours. You look elderly and probably live alone or without small children. My bird and his behaviors are totally different than what you describe. Don't judge others or assume you know everything about them. Again, this should be a forum for friendly people who can post without offending.
so sorry i was only explaining what i did and yes i am old i have never judged others but i am judged
you im afraid have spoken out of line but im sure thats because your young,,lol
i did state i am alone and only have one bird
i would never say i know more than others only whats worked for me
please for give me for posting it wont happen again trust me on that

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I dont think she meant to offend you.She was just saying what she did with mango.Brandy I understand with your small children you couldnt chance them being bitten or attacked.Lets hope Lunar finds a forever home:hug8:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Brandy, I just want to say how sorry I am. You did the best you could. :hug8: I hope Lunar finds a good home. He was remarkably beautiful...

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I never ask Mango to step up , I ask with hands at side do you want to come if he does i slowly raise my hand , if not i walk away then come back ask again till he does come
ask why , I know id get bit hes a gental amazon but dosent like you to invade his area
remember you have your things hes not to touch well he has his things dont touch
i have been told im silly but would you go out from your home and leave your amazon lose out of cage i do im not saying its smart to do it but i know my Mango , oh he torments me but its to get my attention even have shut him in my comp room he wont touch a thing on my desk if im not there but will clear it if i am .
and how i have handled MANGO HE HAS NO FEARS OF ME I can play with his beak do almost anything with himand wont get bit but i will not invade his area
it might just work for you I truly hope it does cause trust is what it is all about ,
i have been also told i should never have a bird as i do things that im told are crule but so fare i have a great companion hes free 12 hrs a day caged only to sleep ,
Fantastic post doll! I totally agree!! :hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Great post!:D

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
As a friendly reminder, many people have different opinions and different things to offer. Many times members may not see eye to eye but want to offer their experiences. Thats something that we all need to respect, and in most cases do. If your unsure maybe ask for some clarification but putting down each other is not something that we do not do here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.