• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Biting Amazons!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandy2103

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Brandy
I would have to say, that your BFA is definitely a baby, a rehome wouldnt allow you to put it on a floaty with a pooch in the pool ;) but thats just a personal opinion, but then again who knows? I would say it looks like a young 9-12 month old amazon. The eyes still look very innocent looking.
I have to tell ya, That picture was when he was still being sweet, no biting yet. This picture was a couple weeks after I got him. He seemed to enjoy it, he likes water. I would not attempt that now. I got a shower perch fo him now, before I would just hold him in the shower.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

I have to tell ya, That picture was when he was still being sweet, no biting yet. This picture was a couple weeks after I got him. He seemed to enjoy it, he likes water. I would not attempt that now. I got a shower perch fo him now, before I would just hold him in the shower.

It may be a bit hard, because of how he acts now, but getting him down into a routine really will help him:hug8: So if you can, try to take him outdoors again (although I dont recommend unrestrained) and start doing things, and taking him places. Ofcourse transport him on a stick until otherwise.;)

But typically when aggressive or misbehaving birds are outside or out doing things with the family, they develop more trust with them and consider them family, and he will grow closer to you guys:hug8:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He IS beautiful. Looks innocent but fiesty ;)

brandy2103

Real Name
Brandy
I still do take him outside, with the stick. I worked on target training a little more today, getting better, but still biting it some. I found something he really likes...little bites of Nutter Butter Cookies. He eats the peanut butter from them. He stepped up on my arm like ten times for the Nutter Butters!!! Then gave Ted kisses for them too. Awesome!!!! I kinda need Ted to continue with Lunar, when I work he has to take care of him. I now know that he won't choose Ted over me. I keep the kids away though.:D:highfive:

brandy2103

Real Name
Brandy
Thanks guys, he really is beautiful!! He has the prettiest coloring I have seen in a Blue Front. He is getting more and more, he has little blue "freckles" on his cheeks. I guess that is also a sign of a baby, getting more blue. The top of his head has become a light yellow too. I bought a magazine the other day with a BFA on the front, and I have to say mine is way prettier! I think his looks and those little meow noises he makes for me keep me from giving up! Everytime I look at him, I am in awe of those colors. I sometimes like to see that tail fan, it is gorgeous! It looks like an Oriental fan you would use to fan your face with to me!! When he molts them, I believe I will make one of those. LOL:idea2:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I I found something he really likes...little bites of Nutter Butter Cookies. He eats the peanut butter from them. He stepped up on my arm like ten times for the Nutter Butters!!! Then gave Ted kisses for them too. Awesome!!!!
That's really great! Congrats! I think this is the beginning of beautiful friendship :D

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is so handsome,congratz on getting him:)

brandy2103

Real Name
Brandy
I am really trying, he is testing me right now. Biting and doing the attack bird thing. He has given my husband and I some bad bites. He gets overly excited very easily and often, and he looses his mind! We are learning. Thanks!!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I am really trying, he is testing me right now. Biting and doing the attack bird thing. He has given my husband and I some bad bites. He gets overly excited very easily and often, and he looses his mind! We are learning. Thanks!!

The more he bites, the more practice he is getting and the better he will get at it. I would be training him while he is inside the cage so that he cannot bite you.

pineview01

Rollerblading along the road
The more he bites, the more practice he is getting and the better he will get at it. I would be training him while he is inside the cage so that he cannot bite you.
Ditto! I have resently been given this same advise and it is so true. Don't get yourself into a position to be bitten.

brandy2103

Real Name
Brandy
Are you having the same issues with Newton? Don't worry , I have learned when to stay away. I let him out in a seperate room and let him play and get all his "craziness" out. Then I approach to see if he is ready to come where I am with a stick that has a bowl on the end to protect my hand. I do almost everything with the stick, I also bought a padded arm protector at a bird show to help. He bite me through that and it bruised, but no blood, thank goodness. It is usually later in the afternoon before I can work with him and trust him more. I finally found a treat he will actually work for today, little pieces of Nutter Butters. The bad bite I got was my wake up call and I avoid that at all costs. Should have took pictures for the bite forum, it was impressive, especially for a first bite. I appreciate all the advice on here, I would have given up awhile back if not for this site. I do love him though, and he is just do darn gorgeous! Have to work tommorow, so good night all! I look forward to updates on my phone tommorow! Night Mercedez and all other who help us!! Hey one other thing , lots on here call their birds "fids", does that stand for feathered kids? I have been wondering about that.:hehe::hug8::sleeping4:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hey one other thing , lots on here call their birds "fids", does that stand for feathered kids? I have been wondering about that.:hehe::hug8::sleeping4:
Good night, Brandy :) And, yes, that's what it stands for.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
He's a cute baby. And yeah, an adult would have taken off by now, being outside without a harness.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Doesnt sound like much was done with him previous to you bringing him home.I'm a repeated record here but you be his sole care giver. I would have alot for that little guy to do.Keep him busy with alot of toys and foraging ideas.Zons love to chew and explore.Does he have a play area where he can get out on with lots to do? Not to be a downer here but a friend of mine had a zon who only loved her husband. Anyone else was fair game to chase or try to bite.Becareful with the kids around... it worries me.You sound like you are making progress with him. Hiram gets really excited when he sees my granddaughter.....toooooo excited. I would be worried about taking him out without a harness or an enclosed area.I just wouldnt do it.

Last edited:

brandy2103

Real Name
Brandy
Guys I would never take him out like that without his wings being clipped. And when I say clipped a better description is butchered. They were clipped so short that when he falls I worry he will break something, there is no gliding down. He was like that when I got him.why is it that you don't think my husband should care for him too?? He bites him too.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I don't know whether he has other playstands, ones on which he can really move around and work off energy with lots of different kinds of toys - the one(s) on the photos are just glorified perches that won't allow him to release any energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.