• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds on Consignment

Should I also take in Ed?

• Obviously yes!

Votes: 26 100.0%
  • Probably not the greatest idea...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
She is such a cutie pie!! :heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Looking good Katie.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Even with a case of the grumps she's beautiful...:)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wow, she really can put on the grumpy face, can’t she?:rofl: Silly girl! She’s so cute and looking great though!:heart:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Plans to allow interaction between Kate and Eddie are on hold while Miss Katie is molting. Every day it seems she has a new patch of pin feathers coming! When Katie first went in to the AV, her (long front facing) 3rd toes had no nails and had been bitten to the point of being nearly severed. Her grip was weak and for a long time she could barely perch, but now Katie has a nice strong grip and two healthy nails coming in!

I was watching her preen under her wing today and saw a beautiful little flight feather pin poking out! I’m so hopeful she will be able to fly again one day. Ed for the first time did happy zoomies around the room! It was soo good to see him fly and perch high above my head and peer down at me ❤ I hope one day to see both of their little faces up so high :xflove:

I’ve lost some good will with Eddie unfortunately, but I think our relationship is on the mend now. *Edit a couple weeks ago (not last month) during a thunderstorm a rescue I was training escaped his crate and trampled my chihuahua as we were walking in the door. Everyone is okay. I’m no longer doing rescue work and Mr. Bean is recovering from bone bruises. He’s been drugged up and miserable and I’ve been feeling shaken and guilty so I had been letting Bean hang out with us while Ed or Bug have their out time.

Katie will attack him, but Eddie seemed entirely indifferent. Now that I know him better, I see that Ed was scared. Eddie didn’t know Bean is hurt, just that there was a predator in the room. I feel like a real jerk and have gone back to dog-free playtime, obviously Ed is feeling more confident and happy in his space, but he isn’t yet back to wanting to be my friend :(

I did notice one of Ed’s toenails seems to have previously suffered some trauma. It appears to be growing in healthy, but is this something that an AV should look at?

Left foot, 3rd toenail
9111D48A-3434-4A3E-88BC-F506C1106B07.jpeg
Magnified CC9DE145-573E-4ACB-A813-F4BAF4E4D976.jpeg

Last edited:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
:meh: I gave Ed a swing and now he won’t come out of his house...I guess it’s Katie’s turn now :shrug:

Dorcas George

I just saw this thread and read it all. I got teary at those early pics of little Kate and reading the story. Happy that you brought Ed home. Mad at the pet store, and then laughing at video of Ed on cage feeding her. Sorry he’s a bit unhappy with you but that will pass! They are both so stinkin’ CUTE! Beasley, YOU ROCK. This whole thread is...:heart::heart::heart:!!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Two weeks later and Katie is still in a bad mood :laughin:behold my grumpy little princess

53E9FF7B-1CBD-4FE9-976B-F414690E17E2.jpeg BB016721-B50E-4EE4-ADB4-6375C57A2CEB.jpeg F291D41C-B430-46E1-A3EF-A5EA9BDBEC83.jpeg
0E88FA7D-DAE9-4EB4-A5AF-71208499F22A.jpeg
Will be less grumpy for food!

Just a solid minute of Katie softly growling.
She looks like she would like scritches but she would not! She will bite!

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
You'd be grumpy too with pin feathers!!!!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
You'd be grumpy too with pin feathers!!!!
Oh I would be miserable! I’ve been babying my sweet girl, trying to keep her happy while her feathers are coming in everywhere.
She's looking so much better. You should be proud of yourself.
I’m really thrilled with her progress! She’s also shedding a lot of frayed, damaged feathers. I’m excited to see what she’ll look like with her new feathers in ❤ They even seem to be a brighter, more vibrant, almost iridescent shade of blue. I bought her a harness yesterday for when she is able to fly again, that way she can still accompany me on my errands and such :xflove:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I read somewhere that water gets into the sheaths and helps loosen everything up, making it easier to free the feathers, but I can’t find any corresponding information to confirm it :cantsee: :shrug:

I heard the same. I offer lots of baths for my plucker.

I can't believe Kates progress!!! Just incredible!! Her feathers will be brighter because she is eating healthier with you. I don't know if happiness can affect feather condition.... Maybe? That would be interesting to research
❤

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I offer lots of baths for my plucker.
Oh no! I didn’t know you had a plucker :( I hope it isn’t too bad!

I can't believe Kates progress!!! Just incredible!!
I can’t either! It seems like just yesterday she had three tail feathers and was otherwise bald except for most of her head and wings. Now even in the places where she has no feathers, she has pinfeathers coming in! And she has one flight feather on each wing :) She was beautiful to me from day one, but seeing her recover and doing so well just makes my heart swell :heart:

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I read somewhere that water gets into the sheaths and helps loosen everything up, making it easier to free the feathers, but I can’t find any corresponding information to confirm it :cantsee: :shrug:
Bathing...or "WETS"...as Milton calls them, help our guys when the pinnies start coming in...Buddy almost always has some pinnies coming in somewhere...right now the pinnies are around her neck...