• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds on Consignment

Should I also take in Ed?

• Obviously yes!

Votes: 26 100.0%
  • Probably not the greatest idea...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, poor little conure!:(

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
why do they do this?? They can't hope to sell those poor guys if they are hidden in the back of the shop, so what's the point??

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
why do they do this?? They can't hope to sell those poor guys if they are hidden in the back of the shop, so what's the point??
...unfortunately, there is no reasonable answer for your questions...except maybe because they can do it...for profit...:sad1:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
...unfortunately, there is no reasonable answer for your questions...except maybe because they can do it...for profit...:sad1:
what profit? They have birds to feed and keep clean without even a hope of selling them, they'll just die there in the end.. That's bad business!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I wish I knew..I have been analyzing the “business” of this and that just makes me sad. Stripping birds of their innate value and assessing them solely as a measure of monetary costs and resale value isn’t something I would be any good at. I don’t think solo male breeders are good for sales anyway, but I’m thinking the consignment birds are parked in the back until baby season is over but after months of being ignored and alone, I can’t imagine any animal would be sellable.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I wish I knew..I have been analyzing the “business” of this and that just makes me sad. Stripping birds of their innate value and assessing them solely as a measure of monetary costs and resale value isn’t something I would be any good at. I don’t think solo male breeders are good for sales anyway, but I’m thinking the consignment birds are parked in the back until baby season is over but after months of being ignored and alone, I can’t imagine any animal would be sellable.
Poor birds living like that all alone for months, how could they cope when they one day end up at a breeder and are supposed to make friend with a new bird? They must be completely traumatized and half wild!! Did you ask the shop owner why they are doing that? Aren't these birds at least announced somewhere for rehome??

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Poor birds living like that all alone for months, how could they cope when they one day end up at a breeder and are supposed to make friend with a new bird? They must be completely traumatized and half wild!! Did you ask the shop owner why they are doing that? Aren't these birds at least announced somewhere for rehome??
Breeder birds are all treated as wild birds from day one, as far as I know they’re not advertised or mentioned publicly.. I think the store may advertise them to their breeder people, but I don’t honestly know. I’m the parrotlet lady who doesn’t shy away from a challenge, so I get told about all the consignment/hard to sell parrotlets. I don’t know what community there is for conures (he’s a pineapple or cinnamon green cheek I think) but I’m doubtful anyone knows he’s there.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I don’t know what community there is for conures (he’s a pineapple or cinnamon green cheek I think) but I’m doubtful anyone knows he’s there.
See, that's what I don't get. Why would the shop keep him, if not to sell or breed him? Where does he come from, to begin with?

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
See, that's what I don't get. Why would the shop keep him, if not to sell or breed him? Where does he come from, to begin with?
I don’t think the store breeds conures, but this one came from one of their breeders. He seemed like a nice enough guy, I met him last week and he definitely was upset his breeder birds were still there in the back. I would have bought them all back though and he just left them...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
what profit? They have birds to feed and keep clean without even a hope of selling them, they'll just die there in the end.. That's bad business!
...profit is profit, unfortunately...the dead are written off...I'm sorry to be so gruesome...:(

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
...profit is profit, unfortunately...the dead are written off...I'm sorry to be so gruesome...:(
I agree that profit is profit and that's how it works, but what profit do you get from keeping a bird like that, no one's buying it, you have to feed it for months, then it dies..?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I agree that profit is profit and that's how it works, but what profit do you get from keeping a bird like that, no one's buying it, you have to feed it for months, then it dies..?
I'm not going to defend the system here...but these businesses consider that they're going to have some losses (dead animals) and it's all figured into a profit/loss notation on their ledger.

This is the problem when living creatures are considered property, and nothing more...

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm not going to defend the system here...but these businesses consider that they're going to have some losses (dead animals) and it's all figured into a profit/loss notation on their ledger.
Ah... right. Now I get the point... Shame on them!! :wtf:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Ah... right. Now I get the point... Shame on them!! :wtf:
...quite correct.

It is why we must fight, and continue the fight, to enlighten people to the fact that living creatures ARE NOT IN ANY WAY, PROPERTY...

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
...quite correct.

It is why we must fight, and continue the fight, to enlighten people to the fact that living creatures ARE NOT IN ANY WAY, PROPERTY...
I couldn’t agree more. Especially this practice of dumping your breeders to buy/make room for new, different breeders. WTH is that!?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
WTH is that!?
That is the cruel world we live in, and collectively, what we created with the demand for baby birds.

If there wasn´t demand for the chicks, they would have no business and this wouldn´t happen.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
That is the cruel world we live in, and collectively, what we created with the demand for baby birds.

If there wasn´t demand for the chicks, they would have no business and this wouldn´t happen.
:( True. I wish more people understood the other side to all those cute chicks in the stores. There just isn’t enough honest information about how incredible adult birds are! And sales people in pet stores help no one but themselves. The whole situation is just depressing