• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds on Consignment

Should I also take in Ed?

• Obviously yes!

Votes: 26 100.0%
  • Probably not the greatest idea...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Around May several “breeder” parrotlets were traded into a local bird store for another parrot. I’ve been socializing with them regularly for months and they've been slowly falling apart since they got there..it’s just heartbreaking. One pair, Kate and Eddie, were put in a split divider cage with a conure in the other half and either Ed, the conure, or both beat Katie up very badly in July. Store was going to just see if she survived, I paid to have her taken care of by the AV and found out today that the store had transferred ownership to me! This was done at the end of her treatment so that I paid the discounted store rates, which I really appreciate from both the vet and store.

Kate may never fly again, her wings were pretty well destroyed but she kept her toes (amazing!) and her feathers are slowly growing back. She is incredibly strong, her grip is improving and she’s just the sweetest little girl. Ed is still at the store, alone and freaked out and kept in the back away from anyone who might want to take him home..I’d be lying if I said it didn’t upset me. I want to bring him home with me. I don’t know if they could be together again, but I think the stress of the store contributed to the attack. Kate and Eddie were very happy together before that and even if they don’t want to be together I think he’s better off out of the store, but that could be my ego, my heart, my want to help him speaking. Ed hates me, but he’s hated everything since Katie was taken away. I could use some outside perspective because I am having a very hard time not feeling like I am abandoning Eddie to waste away in the store while Kate and I go on our merry way without him.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ed is still at the store, alone and freaked out and kept in the back away from anyone who might want to take him home..
I think he’s better off out of the store

If he stays where he is now, he will never leave the store.
If you have the space, could you bring them both home and house them separate but near each other?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
If you have the time, space, and money to care for Ed and can provide a separate cage while you see if they can be put back together once Katie is completely healed then go for it. PRETTY PLEASE.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I don’t really like the idea of birds being housed alone, but at the same time Ed’s current situation is in my opinion way worse than being in a home but in the cage by himself

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Then you already know the answer to your question ;)

Poor Kate. I hope she gets better in your care ❤
Ah, :heart: so I do. I think selfishly, maybe I wanted to keep a space open for a black capped conure (which makes me feel like a terrible person), but I couldn’t happily do so knowing I turned away from Eddie. He knows me, he knows Katie, and while he may never warm up to me, I do have other parrotlet friends whose company he might enjoy. Plus I don’t need a conure, but it sure feels like Ed needs me.

I know, I’m so sad for Kate that she’s been hurt like this...but she’s a fighter, I believe in her :xflove: I do wish the store would have told me a bit ahead of time though, I would have researched and put together a special needs cage for her. She is prone to falls with her little stubby toes and minimal feathers for balance :(

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Plus I don’t need a conure, but it sure feels like Ed needs me.
This is why I would get him.

But that’s why we have some handicapped birds, too!

That poor boy hates life right now, and you can make it better. Being ripped from their partner is always traumatic.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
No matter how determined I don't see a conure doing this damage through the cage bars when Katie can easily get away from it. More likely Ed has done this damage. I feel there may have been a mix up at the shop, or during transit, and the Ed and Katie caged together in the shop were not a bonded pair. That would explain violent attacks and this much damage. We all know what parrotlets are like.
That said, Ed has lost his mate and is alone now. Katie has also lost her mate. And, with careful reintroduction I see no reason why they won't form a bond.
If you have the space to cage him separately you have to do this. The fact you're already thinking this tells me you probably will.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
He might be aggressive because of the stress from the store and the conure, but having each of them in their own cage, and fly time together, should be OK
Poor Katie looks so tiny without her feathers!!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Kate is so adorable!:heart: I can’t wait to see pictures of Ed once you bring him home, like I know you will!:) Even if they have to be housed together, I think it would be good for you, good for Kate, and good for poor Ed.:heart2:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
GO GO GO as fast you can ! hurry-up save poor Eddie don't leave him behind. :horse2:
You can figure out the details reintroducing them in same cage later. Keep them next to each other far enough apart that Edie can't reach through the bars incase he becomes aggressive.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You can figure out the details reintroducing them in same cage later. Keep them next to each other far enough apart that Edie can't reach through the bars incase he becomes aggressive.
...yes, yes, yes...

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I couldn’t make it into the store yesterday, but I’ll be going to get Eddie today :heart: I have a few choices for cages, I have 24 x 16 cages (One of which is Katie‘s) or if there’s no concern about jealousy, or him being able to get higher up than her, I have a 36 x 18 x 30 flight that I could put Ed in since he can fly and I’m not entirely certain the 24 x 16 cage is adequate for a flighted parrotlet.