• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 bird with seazures

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Sending tons of hugs your way :hug8::hug8:

Zazu lovie

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Christina
@zoo mom so true! Zazu did very well hiding her illness.

@LunaLovebird I'm sorry to hear that your two had it but happy they were treated for it and all well.

@Hankmacaw they told me today after the second phone call that she has liver disease.

So I received a phone call this afternoon saying that she tested positive for chlamydia which explained the liver problems and high WBC. However very odd as she lives alone. Then I received another call two hours later saying that they got the test results wrong and she didn't test positive for chlamydia... which is great, but now they still need to figure out where this liver disease came from. So she will be in the hospital for two more days. She seemed brighter today and looked happy to have some food. Sadly she is still having seizures :( I know she is in the best place but it is sooooo hard being so far away from her. Esp when I know she isn't well.

Zazu lovie

Real Name
Christina
Sorry that Zazu showed a high WBC and high liver values. Perhaps she has a liver infection - not out of the realm of possibilities.

Do they have her on antibiotics for what ever infection the WBC are fighting?
Yes they have her on Diazepam and antibiotics to fight off the bacteria in the liver too. Fingers crossed

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Still in our thoughts and prayers! :bluhug:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If you want to read up on seizures in birds in an article that is written pretty much in English, here's one.

Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Seizures In Pet Birds

When Hank was having his seizures it was pretty easy to determine the cause and simple to stop them. He was nearing death (within 5 weeks) and his organs were just not working right. I noticed that he would shake like a diabetic with low blood sugar just before the seizure so (after consulting with my vet) I started feeding him immediately when he got up in the morning and added some fruit for sugar. The seizures stopped almost immediately. Unfortunately, most causes of seizure are not that easy to diagnose and treat.

Here's hoping that Zazu responds well to the treatments.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope Zazu continues to improve and will be home with you soon.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I hope Zazu will make a full recovery.
:sadhug2:

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:gbh: prayers up

Zazu lovie

Real Name
Christina
Hi everyone

Thank you for all of your kind thoughts and prayers. Zazu is slowly getting better. Her WBC has gone down, which is great. However her liver function is still not right.

I went in to visit her today and was told that she has lost her appetite again and is still being crop fed through a tube as she has lost a bit of weight and can't afford to loose anymore. One thing I found interesting was that I had been told by the vet that her head was leaning to the left and that her left claw is somewhat clenched. When I saw her today i immediately noticed that her head is tilted because she is now blind in one eye (her left eye). She tilts to see what is going on using her right eye. I think my baby has had a stroke. Also, her beak grinds now and I think that may be why she is choosing not to feed on her own.

I was slightly angry that the vets hadn't picked this up... but I do hope and pray they are doing what is best for her. Money is no issue at all, however i've paid $1843 so far and they want her in for a few more days roughly $330 per night. Maybe it's just emotions but i'm wondering what they are doing if they didn't even know she had lost her sight in one eye.

I apologise in advance for any negative thoughts in this post.. I think I may just need an early night. Thank you all again for your well wishes :heart:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2: Having my own share of botched medical care. I would hope they would check her over daily & monitor all the functions. Poor baby but she needed vet care as she was very sick. May have been an oversight but they should be
checking her with care...Get some sleep. I need it too as I didn;t sleep Monday night or tuesday & its now Wed.

Hope she makes good progress
:angelic:

Zazu lovie

Real Name
Christina
:sadhug2: Having my own share of botched medical care. I would hope they would check her over daily & monitor all the functions. Poor baby but she needed vet care as she was very sick. May have been an oversight but they should be
checking her with care...Get some sleep. I need it too as I didn;t sleep Monday night or tuesday & its now Wed.

Hope she makes good progress
:angelic:
@camelotshadow Thank you for your kind words... sorry to hear about your the botched medical care. Rest heals most things, so make sure you sneak in some rest (if possible). Wishing you a speedy recovery.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:Lots of big hugs for you and Zazu. I hope your baby continues to improve.

Zazu lovie

Real Name
Christina
Small update: Zazu has been home for 4 days now. She is looking more colourful and chirpy. She had bloods done again today which show a small improvement. She will continue her milk thistle water treatment for her liver... Had another dose of antibiotics today and is booked in for another check up next Saturday. Thank you everyone for your support through this turbulent time. We both couldn't have done it without you all.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:hug8:

@camelotshadow Thank you for your kind words... sorry to hear about your the botched medical care. Rest heals most things, so make sure you sneak in some rest (if possible). Wishing you a speedy recovery.

It;s hard to sleep when you are fighting for your life with cancer & are knocking your head against walls when the system of medical care sucks & Drs can't even hire competent people who will answer the phone or foward medical records.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the Zazu update. It's great that she is home and is doing better.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
So she can see again and her foot is OK? Many birds recover very well from a stroke unlike people so she'll probably be just fine with time but great news that she is home and doing well.