• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beware when you buy

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
The avian rescue person had a great idea...give her oxygen immediately prior to the treatment and it worked this morning.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I sure hope the rest of them pull through.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
I donated a painting for a fundraising event for bird rescue at Mardens Ark Rescue...If it was not for them I would be in deep desperation provide the needed care for my budgies. the Auction goes thru tomorrow. the painting is an original one of a kind.

Marden's Ark Fundraising Auction Public Group | Facebook

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
Here is the painting and a print of another of my paintings I donated to the auction that lasts till Sunday after tomorrow. It is on the link I shared above and it goes to a great cause. This rescue group is saving my whole flock of 9 birds who are getting the same thing Gaga (pictures in the painting..the blue on on the left) had. I know they have spent a tremendous amount of money in medical bills to save my birds. They have also lended me their oxygen compressor, nebulizer, quarantine cage with heater attached. They have given me birdseed, education, and so much more. What a blessing they are for those of us who need help for our birds!

IMG_0098.JPG IMG_0155.JPG

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's wonderful that the rescue has been supportive and helpful. Great that the birds are getting better and hope they are on the road to recovery and will be 100% soon.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
My new English Budgies including Tiara are doing well. I almost hate to say that. I do not want to jinx them. But them something just happened! My Avian rescue person saw my two rescue birds I initially got several months ago who I was told by another breeder that they were clear of diseases.... my new friend thinks they may have PBFD because three days ago when I was giving Banana Pop her medication, she flew into the mirror on the wall which I had not yet fixed with things to prevent them from getting injured. Well Banana Pop broke off her lower beak almost completely only hanging on by a thread of tissue. Now I understand that if these two birds have it, it is contagious to babies and Tiels.....and my precious Cockatiel Phoenix who is pictured as my avatar can get it. I have gone thru so much with these precious birds I cannot stop crying!
Apparently the disease causes feather issues which the two rescues have.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Hankmacaw wouldn't beak and feather disease have shown up in the necropsy done on the budgie that died?

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
@Hankmacaw wouldn't beak and feather disease have shown up in the necropsy done on the budgie that died?
No because the birds affected were birds I already had and taken in as rescue birds because I wanted to help them. The lady breeder that sold me Phoenix said they had no diseases but they had the curly feathers then. How can people be so cruel? Apparently the disease is contagious and all this time Phoenix has been with them along with my two other budgies I have before I bought my other Cockatiel and EB from another breeder. I am beginning to hate breeders!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for everything you are going through. Birds can survive without the lower part of the beak. Just have to feed them soft foods. Don't jump the gun re: PBFD. Have one or more of the birds tested.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
So sorry for everything you are going through. Birds can survive without the lower part of the beak. Just have to feed them soft foods. Don't jump the gun re: PBFD. Have one or more of the birds tested.
Iamwhoiam, the avian rescue person was the first one who recognized the symptoms and she is coming over Monday to get poop samples..if it comes back positive, then I will have to get individual poop samples to run to the lab. Thank GOD..he sent me Dee.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I dread opening this thread every time I see a new post. :( I'm so very sorry that you are STILL going through this heartache, and I'm so sorry your birds are the ones suffering.

Please don't hate on all of us breeders, there are still some good ones! :) Whenever I get people asking me if I have babies available RIGHT NOW, I always end up telling them that there is a year long waiting list. Either they can wait for one of my babies, or I know they will shop around for a different breeder. I always tell them to make sure that whatever breeder they choose, make sure they do health testing on their birds BEFORE they breed them !
Unfortunately, people are sh!tty, and usually "breed for the money" (Which is sooooooo not going to make you a profit, so just forget about it!) and they don't do any vet checks at all, because they are super expensive (at least where I'm located. $70 minimum for a yearly checkup, EACH)

Keep us posted on how things are progressing, my fingers are all crossed for you.

Have you heard anything back from the breeder? Have you posted on her facebook wall? I feel like we all need to band together and publicly shame her. Ggrrr.....

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
I dread opening this thread every time I see a new post. :( I'm so very sorry that you are STILL going through this heartache, and I'm so sorry your birds are the ones suffering.

Please don't hate on all of us breeders, there are still some good ones! :) Whenever I get people asking me if I have babies available RIGHT NOW, I always end up telling them that there is a year long waiting list. Either they can wait for one of my babies, or I know they will shop around for a different breeder. I always tell them to make sure that whatever breeder they choose, make sure they do health testing on their birds BEFORE they breed them !
Unfortunately, people are sh!tty, and usually "breed for the money" (Which is sooooooo not going to make you a profit, so just forget about it!) and they don't do any vet checks at all, because they are super expensive (at least where I'm located. $70 minimum for a yearly checkup, EACH)

Keep us posted on how things are progressing, my fingers are all crossed for you.

Have you heard anything back from the breeder? Have you posted on her facebook wall? I feel like we all need to band together and publicly shame her. Ggrrr.....
Stay turned..my earthly angel rescuer knows a parrot lady who is an activist over this type of thing and has a large following on her you tube videos. The lady talked to me briefly and I will be getting back with her to make a video in time. I also have several other plans. I tried to rate her on Google and Yelp but she is sly enough not to have a business but is the Michiana Bird Fair.