• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beware when you buy

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
Still no results from the necropsy. I am beginning to worry that they will not find the cause. With no definitive cause we are just shooting in the dark with the other four. :unsure1:

DancingBudgies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
I am so sorry, I hope they are just being slow. Good luck with the other four. :sadhug2:

DancingBudgies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
I am so sorry they couldn't find anything wrong. I guess all we could do now is care for, and pray for the other four. Sending prayers from Maryland... :sadhug:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Well I wonder how they know the avian gastric yeast was not the cause. Several years ago one of my budgies died from it despite multiple treatments. Your other budgies may have this also as it is contagious. It is a slow death because the nutrients are no longer absorbed in the GI system and the bird enters into the wasting or end stages of the disease despite continuing to eat. The antibiotic of choice is Amphotericin B for at least 2 weeks or longer. Now I put unfiltered apple cider vinegar ACV in my birds water one week out of the month to slow down the formation of fungi in the crop and lower. Its not a cure but it helps. 2 TSP per quart of water and put the remainder in the frig. until gone. Braggs makes the vinegar and it is sold in most grocery stores.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The results of the necropsy came back today as inconclusive. Nothing could be found to cause the death of Gaga. Her lung tissue showed marked congestion. Avian gastric yeast was found but considered incidental and not the cause of her death.
Wish something would have been found so you and vet could have some answers. How are the birds doing?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry you still don’t have any answers, and I hope the other birds are doing okay.
:sadhug2:

Last edited:

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
I am so sorry they couldn't find anything wrong. I guess all we could do now is care for, and pray for the other four. Sending prayers from Maryland... :sadhug:
Thank you for your prayers. They are doing better and the two youngest are looking totally well so with the advice of the vet, I am taking the two young ones off the O2 and the nebulizer treatments. The Cockatiel's only symptom was fluffing feathers. He is still doing that but doesn't need respiratory treatment only continue the antibiotic until all is clear with them.

So for now they are only on medications for fungus and bacteria and they both seem to be working. However a few of my initial bunch are starting to have symptoms so I am taking them in the morning to see the vet.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
Well I wonder how they know the avian gastric yeast was not the cause. Several years ago one of my budgies died from it despite multiple treatments. Your other budgies may have this also as it is contagious. It is a slow death because the nutrients are no longer absorbed in the GI system and the bird enters into the wasting or end stages of the disease despite continuing to eat. The antibiotic of choice is Amphotericin B for at least 2 weeks or longer. Now I put unfiltered apple cider vinegar ACV in my birds water one week out of the month to slow down the formation of fungi in the crop and lower. Its not a cure but it helps. 2 TSP per quart of water and put the remainder in the frig. until gone. Braggs makes the vinegar and it is sold in most grocery stores.
Lady Jane it was a question I asked..good question. But in this case the birds are not wasting away and Gaga had good nutritional status according to them and 4/5 score? Not sure what that means but I think it means her muscle and tissue were sufficient? Amphotericin B is a major cannonball for people so I can imagine it is awful for birds too. Yes I use Braggs organic vinegar at home. They are all eating the bird bread and the herbal salad is their favorite. Thanks.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
I tried to take Tiara her off 02 for two hours but she did not tolerate it last night , so today the vet added steroids (tapering) to her regimen. My other flock is now going on meds because some are showing symptoms.

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
I am sorry to read the outcome of Gaga.
At least you tried, that breeder needs to be named and shamed publicly . Disgusting in this day and age.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, How scary that the rest of your flock are showing symptoms. I hope everyone will be okay!

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
Oh no, How scary that the rest of your flock are showing symptoms. I hope everyone will be okay!
Tiel Feathers I am having to realize that out of the ten birds I had, now down to nine...I could loose them all. With giving nine birds medication twice daily and breathing treatments on 3 of them twice daily my other animals hardly see me. I wish there was a way to get compensation for all this but I don't think that is going to happen with this "breeder". She has already lied and washed her hands of what she did.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I am so so sorry you are going through this. So much heart ache and struggle.

And I am not saying this to be mean but to remind everyone that this is why we advocate quarantine, for new birds, for 30-60 days.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
I am so so sorry you are going through this. So much heart ache and struggle.

And I am not saying this to be mean but to remind everyone that this is why we advocate quarantine, for new birds, for 30-60 days.
I have learned that lesson too late.