• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beware when you buy

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
Good news and bad news...ok bad first..I took Banana Pop in today and while I was carrying the cage out of the car, I tripped and landed full frontal face down on concrete, skinned my knee and hands, the bird cage flew out of my hands and busted open on the concrete in front of the vet's office, and amazingly the blanket over the cage kept her from escaping before I could get to her. Other bad news is she has liver disease and she is an old bird with cataracts. The good news is her lower beak was not broken but a pice was worn off because of a scissor bite and it was fixed with a Dremel saw disk blade. A specimen was sent to the lab to see if she has that beak and feather disease which would spell bad news for all my birds. Since her beak was not falling off, I feel slightly better that her chances of having that disease are less. Won't take long to find out. There is also medication that can possibly cure her liver disease called milk thistle. So we start another medication.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending positive thoughts your way. Good that the beak was not as bad as you thought. Milk thistle if very beneficial for liver problems so hope that it helps and also hope that she is negative for PBFD.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:
Lots of hugs to you and your friend from the rescue.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
GREAT NEWS for all my baby birds shipped..they are all free of symptoms now. The necropsy helped save Tiara, because Gaga's lung tissue was so red and inflamed, that they put Tiara on Steroids which turned her around and allowed healing to take place. Of my other birds: all are normal now except Marine, but he is improving daily. Wednesday we get the results of the beak and feather disease, and I also have an appointment with the vet to check the two who were the sickest with the respiratory disease...Tiara and Marine (who should be normal by then) to see if they are totally well! Prayers are so appreciated!

. IMG_0157.JPG

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is excellent news. So happy for you and the birds. Thank you for providing them with the care they needed.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
That is good news. You worked so hard for these birdies that you all deserve good news.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That’s excellent news!:fairy2:what a cute picture of them. I hope the vet appointment goes well and that they are completely disease free!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:starshower1:Yay, what wonderful news!

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
:starshower1:Yay, what wonderful news!
TY Tiel! I am soo happy and a looong road of meds morning and night to nine birds...DONE! ..so relieved! An incidental my rescue bird turns out to be old and has liver disease which I am giving her milk thistle for and then back to the vet with her in a month to see if it helps, and probably the other rescue budgie has it too ( I have had them the longest ) but at least it is not contagious. I got them just to make their remaining years kinder. I am so amazed at the generosity and help from the rescue person, Dee, and the amazing care of the vets and staff.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
I will take a picture of them all tomorrow if I can get them all in one shot..ok might be two pics lol.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TY Tiel! I am soo happy and a looong road of meds morning and night to nine birds...DONE! ..so relieved! An incidental my rescue bird turns out to be old and has liver disease which I am giving her milk thistle for and then back to the vet with her in a month to see if it helps, and probably the other rescue budgie has it too ( I have had them the longest ) but at least it is not contagious. I got them just to make their remaining years kinder. I am so amazed at the generosity and help from the rescue person, Dee, and the amazing care of the vets and staff.
Hurray!!

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
The vet is keeping the bird that was affected most severely on meds for another week as a caution but she is very happy with them and feels they are hopefully free of the disease. She just wished the necropsy had told us what caused this deadly illness.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
They look happy and alert! :dance4: Oh yeah, and adorable too!:xflove:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
So cute. I am so glad they are doing better.