• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African Grey Still Not Himself

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I use a heat rock type thing and have used it quite a few years with no issues. It screws into a normal light socket and we keep it on during the winter on a old sewing lamp thing close to where he sleeps. It's just far enough away he can't touch it or chew the cord. It was made for lizards.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Yippeeee you got your baby home as did i.
my little luv bug came home today too. if you need to keep Shoppa cage warmer, think about heat lamps for reptiles. also set up some type of thermometer (digital)on or close to his cage.
4ever :tiel2: 's mom
Now Sweeat pea's mom too.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Great News!

Lots of things can harm them, even candle smoke & furniture polish & cleaning solutions.
Got to be very careful.
He sounds like a new bird
:heart: :hug8: :heart:

CoachCorrieMac

Strolling the yard
Yippeeee you got your baby home as did i.
my little luv bug came home today too. if you need to keep Shoppa cage warmer, think about heat lamps for reptiles. also set up some type of thermometer (digital)on or close to his cage.
4ever :tiel2: 's mom
Now Sweeat pea's mom too.
Only for night use. Not during the day. I need to keep him warmer because I turn the heat down at night to save on my bill and so I can sleep. I cant sleep with the heat up so high.

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Great news! :dancing:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
To be honest you would be surprised at how many people thought I was crazy for doing what I did and spending the money I spent. I disgusts me. Even family members where saying when is enough enough and you can only go so far. I felt very alone through most of this. You all have been what has kept me going because people were beginning to make me question myself. Thanks to all of you I stayed on track and level headed. Thank you!
That's what we are here for!! :D

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Corrie, I am very happy for you, your family and Shoppa that he is home again. I am so glad that you did not throw in the towel and give up on him. Will quote Judy, "He looks great!" :) Some people just don't understand and don't think it's worth our time or money to help our feathered friends (or any non-human for that matter). I had someone laugh at me once when I told him I was taking my bird to the vet and I've had a few others roll their eyes. I had a relative tell me that I should open the cages and let them all fly away. :( I do have friends, though, who are very supportive and understanding as was my mom.
Shoppa's improved health and return home are wonderful Thanksgiving gifts.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I'm so thrilled he is home. He is part of your family. You don't give up on family.

We have all seen the eye rolls from family. I was one of those (to my shame) that used the phrase, it's just a bird. Wait until they share their house with one for 24 hours, preferably alone. I didn't make it 8 hours. They are magnificent creatures.

As to the heater? Google the name and look for what is in it. PTFE and PFOA lurks everywhere. Never, ever, use the self cleaning thing on your oven. Don't use a oven liner (in-laws bought me one as a gift and it said, inside, clearly harmful to birds.....they were horrified, they love the parrots). In fact, we don't cook a desert here because the oven must be very hot for a particular pan and I just can't chance then being harmed.

Be careful and enjoy your time with Shoppa. It's toy shopping time now!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
:dance4: :dance4: Yay Shoppa looks good and very happy.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
The heater I had been using was a Lasko Ceramic heater
I believe that is a safe heater. Do a search here for it. Someone had a thread about them not too long ago. I swear it said they were fine. Congratulations on Shoppa's recovery! I am so happy for you all :hug8:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
What wonderful news! Welcome home Shoppa, "It's OK" now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have an oil filled space heater and also several Avitec panel heaters, they are excellent.
Cage Heaters - AviTemp Infrared Heat Panels
You need to keep him from chewing the electric cord, but they are very easy to move on and off the cage.
If you even partially cover the cage at night they work even better. Be sure he has perches near and far from the heater so he can decide how warm to be.
I've found the xtra-small to work well to give a space that has and doesn't have the heater.
I highly recommend them and the flock and I refer to them as our "cozies" .

And while you're shopping for Shoppa you might want to look into humidifiers and HEPA air cleaners.
There are lots of threads on those here, but I will mention that many of the "boiling" type humidifiers have Teflon coated parts but some brands are/were safe.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
Aw your post and seeing you with Shoppa brought tears to my eyes! So glad you stuck with it, and God has blessed you with saving him. It's ok, Shoppa, you are safe and well and in a home that loves you. He will flourish with you.

Happynme

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carmen
Glad he is home!!! He's looks so happy to be back with you ! :highfive: :yahoo:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Corrie - you need to give yourself a lot of credit. You asked for help, accepted the help that was offered and stayed determined throughout the entire trial.

I wouldn't doubt one bit that Shoppa's problems may have been an accumulation of toxicity from unsafe items in his environment and when he got so very run down his body couldn't take it any longer and he started the downward the spiral.

Anyhow, I have used the Lasko heaters for years and I checked with the company before I bought my first one - they said then that they were fine. I guess they have changed their story now. Sometimes, I'm quite suspicious that companies make extra preventive statements as protection from lawsuits. I just bought an oil filled heater and I'm not all that pleased with it. It doesn't keep the bird's room (10' x 7') above 65-68f when it gets down into the teens here. It has helped since I have set the air-cleaner where it blows on the heater and spreads the heat around. One of the great advantages with the electric space heaters is that they produce a fast heat and can be turned off when it is warm, but the oil-filled takes forever to heat up the space.

I'm so very happy for you and Shoppa.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Crying tears of Joy here.I'm SO very happy that Shoppa is well now and home with You.You are a great Dad :hug8: :heart: :hug8:Please Keep in touch with Us with Shoppa updates,He has Many "Aunts and Uncles here that Love him!