• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lasko Ceramic heaters not recommended around birds

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I just called the company and was told that there are compounds in the ceramic that are not safe for birds. The lady said that they recommend their ceramic heaters not be used around birds. I have a very old Lasko model for when the birds are out of cages ( the oil filled heaters get too hot to be safe around flying birds). At the time I bought it they had said it was safe, no ptfe, but didn't mention the ceramic compounds. I've not had any problems that I know of, so I guess I'll continue using it till it gives out. But I must look for a replacement asap! Any input, anyone?

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
No input, but I used a Lasko ceramic in my bathroom for several years. OMG, Merlin almost always goes in the shower w/one of us everyday. I don't have it now, but how scary is that :eek:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
You know quite frankly, if the manufacturer of the ceramic heaters recommends they not be used around birds, that would scare the heck out of me. I worked for a fireplace manufacturer for many years and I can tell you that they never ever openly admitted to anything unsafe around animals etc..It was all hidden..If they admit to it openly then it must have caused a death..Trust me on this one...I would run a mile!!

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
What could it possibly be? I have been going on the assumption that ceramic is safe. That is why I just bought the ceramic pans! :confused: :depressed: :eek:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
What could it possibly be? I have been going on the assumption that ceramic is safe. That is why I just bought the ceramic pans! :confused: :depressed: :eek:
ok but cermamic pans are a totally different cup of tea...fireplaces are manufactured differently.

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
We use a raidiant heater in our twins room like this

Pelonis 1,500-Watt Electric Oil-Filled Radiant Portable Heater-HO-0218H at The Home Depot

The heater is cheaply ran if you leave it on all the time (even just the lowest setting) as the biggest expense in running them is the initial warming. But once warm are so very cheap to keep going. They put out a TON of heat, but are safe to touch even at full setting. Though it might not be comfortable ~ it wont burn. It gets warm, but not hot and trust me it must be pretty dang cold to turn them up. They put out just a TON of heat. We used just 1 to heat the entire top floor of our old house! And no, not on full setting either.

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
Hmm I purchased a Lasko Personal Ceramic Heater for Allie. But oddly enough it never showed in the mail. So I got a refund. Maybe that crappy company was a blessing? I'm using a heat lamp instead.

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
ok but cermamic pans are a totally different cup of tea...fireplaces are manufactured differently.

Oops! I think I accidentally deleted part of my sentence :rolleyes: I meant to add that I also use a ceramic heater in my bathroom because I thought all ceramic products were safe :( It is not this Lasko Brand but still?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Oops! I think I accidentally deleted part of my sentence :rolleyes: I meant to add that I also use a ceramic heater in my bathroom because I thought all ceramic products were safe :( It is not this Lasko Brand but still?

I'd call the maunufacturer :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have used the Lasko space heaters for years. Every time I need to buy a new one I call the company and check to make sure they are still safe. I called this year, because I needed and new heater and the company told me the same thing is has every time. That their are no PTFEs in any of their products, but that they do not give out recommendations about whether to use their products around animals or not.

I don't think that Lasko is a lousy company. I think that lousy people are so sue happy that they cannot say anything without someone looking for deep pockets slapping a suit on them.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I have used the Lasko space heaters for years. Every time I need to buy a new one I call the company and check to make sure they are still safe. I called this year, because I needed and new heater and the company told me the same thing is has every time. That their are no PTFEs in any of their products, but that they do not give out recommendations about whether to use their products around animals or not.

I don't think that Lasko is a lousy company. I think that lousy people are so sue happy that they cannot say anything without someone looking for deep pockets slapping a suit on them.
I never said that Lasko was a lousy company. but you do have an excellent point. That is why the fireplace manufacturer was so very careful about what they said on labels etc or in information they gave to the public.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
This lady specifically said that due to the compounds in the parts of the heater, they recommend that their ceramic heaters should not be used around birds.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
This lady specifically said that due to the compounds in the parts of the heater, they recommend that their ceramic heaters should not be used around birds.
in t he parts of the heater...well you know they could have had a massive lawsuit over something...I know the company I worked for had a legal team as they were always getting sued over something..even the littlest things. One person tried to sue over her child's Barbie hair melting to the fireplace glass. (the label on the fireplace glass clearly reads, caution, surface may be super heated." But I can also tell you that most of those companies get away with as much as possible. The reason the label was put on t he glass to begin with is because another fireplace company had a huge lawsuit..a young girl burned herself badly by touching the glass...most people would know to keep their children away from fireplaces etc..but people are sue happy. I felt sorry for that child and for any other child who would be burned even after the label was put on.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I think the best thing for anyone concerned would be to call for themselves and see what they say. I just relayed what was said to me! :)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
and you may get a different answer if you talk to a different customer service representative there :)

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I just called the company and was told that there are compounds in the ceramic that are not safe for birds. The lady said that they recommend their ceramic heaters not be used around birds. I have a very old Lasko model for when the birds are out of cages ( the oil filled heaters get too hot to be safe around flying birds). At the time I bought it they had said it was safe, no ptfe, but didn't mention the ceramic compounds. I've not had any problems that I know of, so I guess I'll continue using it till it gives out. But I must look for a replacement asap! Any input, anyone?
saroj, look at what they did with the radiator in this post. you could cover an oil-filled like this and keep everybody safe.
Wonderful fresh food/foraging combination | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
sounds like other videos by this person discuss "wild" safe foraging plants but I didn't look to see if they discussed dandelion.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
Do you mean any of the ceramic Lasko heaters or the older ones I just got one a month ago for the room down stairs and it works great. What wactly happens that is dangerous . fumes,Sommething melting?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Do you mean any of the ceramic Lasko heaters or the older ones I just got one a month ago for the room down stairs and it works great. What wactly happens that is dangerous . fumes,Sommething melting?
Jim, from what I gathered - the ceramic plates in the heater emit unsafe chemicals when heated. Please give them a call or email to get details :)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Saroj I would call back and talk to someone else at Lasko. The individual you spoke to may not have all of the correct information. Ceramic is widely considered to be safe in that it does not emit toxic chemicals or fumes.

Unlike other conventional fuel burning heaters, ceramic heaters generate clean heat i.e. they do not release toxic fumes or chemicals into the air while being used. Hence, these heaters are ideal for small families or single person as they can be employed to heat rooms that are used, in place of heating the entire house or unused rooms. Some heaters also have timers, touch sensor, overheat sensor, thermostat, manual heat adjustment, digital display, remote control, etc. which make these heaters even more beneficial.
Read more at Buzzle: Ceramic Heaters

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know what to think. :confused: I do have a Lasko heater in Max and Sonny's room... I'd hate to think it was harmful... :( When I first got it, I ran it in a separate space for a while until it stopped smelling "new" and odd. I don't know how long they're supposed to emit any fumes, but it did smell a bit at first.