• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

African Grey Still Not Himself

CoachCorrieMac

Strolling the yard
I posted awhile back about my Grey. He had not been himself. Way less talking, climbing and activity in general. Having trouble at times climbing and reaching for his perches. I had a vet telling me to wait it out and see if his symptoms kept up. This is a grey that I had taken in from my grandpas passing this July. He had him on a seed diet for his whole life.

A few weeks ago I got his food changed out to Harrisons High Potency pellets. He took to it right away and ate it like crazy. So that was good. I took the seeds out completely at this point. Next is trying to get him to eat fruits and veggies. Things he would never eat before. I noticed since I changed his food he seemed to be getting a bit more energetic again and showed less signs. Well that didnt last.... On Thursday I noticed he was very quiet all day. Didnt say much at all. Friday came and now he wouldnt even eat, climb, talk and all he wanted to do was sit in the same spot sometimes on one foot and sometimes on 2 with his eyes half closed. Just seemed ridiculously wore out. He had no ambition motivation or anything.

This made me nervous and sent me over the edge. I called a different vet and they took him in right away. I expected the worst. The did a full exam on him. Listened to his heart and lungs. Checked his stomach for swelling and some other things that I cant remember what he called it. Looked at his droppings under a micro, checked his throat and mount and found nothing. Absolutely everything he checked from the exam checked out. Vet decided to give me an antibiotic just in case. Told me to try this and see if this helps. If not, may have to gas him and do blood and cultures. He told me that he had no signs of a handful of diseases like fatty liver, vitamin A deficiency etc but that doesnt mean he doesnt have them. Said that from the outside he looks great. He did comment on his posture though and said he did look a bit droopy. Said he may be a bit arthritic as well since the weather change. Vet was also impressed with how hard he fought the exam though too and how well he bounced back with his breathing and temperament. Said it was a good sign. Felt strong. He is 23 years old.

Today he is even worse. No climbing, no engagement, no moving around, just wanted to sleep all day. He looks so tired. I feel so bad for him. Could he be depressed months later realizing that gramps isnt coming back? Could he be arthritic? Could he really be showing old age at 23 from the bad diet? Even tonight when I put him to bed he has an extremely hard time climbing down 6 inches to his perch. Just a struggle. Any advice is appreciated. Any people that have had these symptoms what was it and was it treatable. I dont want to loose him.
:(

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
i would get the blood work done asap? then you will know for sure whether there are any blood borne dieases. how many perches does your bird have? maybe a platform perch would help him. try birdie bread that you mix in the fruit and veggies into the bread. he could be depressed too. My cockatiel was really depressed after he lost his cage mate. it showed up weeks later.
FLAT PERCHES flat perches
:tiel2: and mom

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I would get bloodwork done asap and potentially x-rays to see what's going on. I wouldn't chance it being something like depression, and if everything comes back normal then you have a baseline for the future. If he does have arthritis there are pain meds vets can prescribe to help with that, and getting the bloodwork done will help ensure that his liver and kidneys are able to process them.

CoachCorrieMac

Strolling the yard
Well im at a total loss. Shoppa, my grey, had a small seizure from what I can tell this morning. He fell straight from the top of the cage to the bottom. His head jerked back a few times before he fell then when he landed he was stiff as a board on his back freaking out. He did come out of it and get back up. I took him out of his big cage and put him in his bird bed and took him to the only emergency vet I could find. I was 2 hours away. I called before I left and they said they would take him. Get there and they said its out of their league and to take him to Washinton State University which is another 3 hours away. I called them willing to do whatever I could and they said they wouldnt take him today either. Wow.... Just no urgency or care. Wont take him today because the doc is off for the day. :mad: Hopefully he makes it through the night. Im going to call the vet that seen him on friday and see if he will take him in the morning. IDK what else to do....

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
pad the bottom of his sleeping cage, with either towels or paper towels. move his perch down low too. I hope your baby is ok. fingers crossed

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
I am so sorry your grey is having health problems. :( Hoping for the best for your boy.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keep him warm, down low in his cage and quiet. I would suggest you see an avian vet first thing in the morning for a check up, radiographs, blood work that includes checking calcium levels and heavy metal testing.

Well wishes sent your way.

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
Definitely have the vet check for hypocalcemia. Greys are known to get seizures from it.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Do You have proper lighting for him
Lighting - The world of African Greys Did the vet check his calcium level? It sounds like maybe he has goten enough calcium from the harrisons,BUT he cannot process it properly without full spectrum lighting( or being out in the sunshine for a while everyday. :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Im surprised your regular vet said to wait it out.

He needs blood work done, and to be checked for heavy metal poisoning. Sounds like he has it.

Where in WA are you? Sounds like eastern WA.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
OK - Greys are very susceptible to to low calcium and one of the symptoms is seizures. Putting his perch down low is not bad advice so he can fall and physically harm himself.
Heavy metal poisoning is also a possibility, but hypocalcimia is most common in Greys.

You need to get him to a vet ASAP.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hope he's gonna be OK, :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I meant to also say that You need to get him to a qualified Avian Vet Asap.Sending healing thoughts and prayers for him.OH and yes lower perchs and pad the floor. :hug8:

CoachCorrieMac

Strolling the yard
Dont think a ceramic heater could be doing causing toxicity? I was told it was safe. I have been using it for a month. Idk what he would be getting metal tox from. Unless its from chewing on his bird bed. Its pretty old.

I appreciate all the well wishes amd advice. Hope this gets solved.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
they can get it from old toys, old cages, plastic made in china, anything made in china or overseas. see Emergency 911 section on this forum for information. and to be safe keep the heater away from his cage until you get this checked out please. better safe then sorry. if you have heating pad put that beneath his cage, about half the cage. cover with blankets. a warm bird is about 85 to 90 degrees.
Bird Emergency Highway 911 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
:tiel2: and mom

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I agree that hypocalcemia is the more likely culprit... but only bloodwork and x-rays will give you a better answer. Do you have an ER near you? Or you could post your location and we might be able to help you find one?

CoachCorrieMac

Strolling the yard
I agree that hypocalcemia is the more likely culprit... but only bloodwork and x-rays will give you a better answer. Do you have an ER near you? Or you could post your location and we might be able to help you find one?
I took him already to the only er around here. They sent me home. Didnt want to deal with it. She said it was out of her ballpark.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I took him already to the only er around here. They sent me home. Didnt want to deal with it. She said it was out of her ballpark.
I suppose that's at least responsible of them... I hope you can find a doc and get him some relief soon :(